Being a football scout Watch

KMan1
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
How can you become a football scout for a football club?
rj1990
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Unless you were a former professional footballer at a high level it won't happen im afraid mate.

My mate's Dad scouts for a premier league club and he use to play in the Championship and he said it is virtually impossible to get a job as a scout unless you was a professional footballer.
KMan1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
So there is no training course that leads to gaining a licence to become a football scout?
d0mz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by KMan1)
So there is no training course that leads to gaining a licence to become a football scout?
Yeah thats pretty much what he said.
rj1990
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by KMan1)
Haha no! You may as well give up trying to get into the football business unless A/ You was a respected professional footballer B/ You have the UEFA A Licence coaching badge (still won't get a good job unless you have experiance of playing high standard football, the conference league at least) or C/ You are a multi-millionaire and can buy a football club

Good luck
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There is one other way...

...volunteer for Sports Interactive on Football Manager.

You'll then effectively be scouting for Everton.
morecambebay
Badges: 16
Report 9 years ago
start your own football team
sbarrie2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by KMan1)
How can you become a football scout for a football club?
you could scout for me on the tsr fm network game...

Just tell me some good players for around 5mil...

ta
FretFul
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's all about connections I'm afraid. However, you don't need to have played at a high level.

At Fulham, every one of their coaches are scouts. On their football in the community schemes, if a coach spots a player and tells an official scout in the club, they will go watch him. If the player makes it through a trial and into the academy, the coach gets a cash reward.
Tucking Fypo
Badges: 3
Report 9 years ago
There's a World Cup scouting thing on United's website. It's obviously nothing professional, but it may be the closest feeling to it. :manutd:
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No point being a scout in England because the system is flawed. All you need to do is look out for six foot plus players, extremely athletic and lots of upper body weight. Essentially, future Stoke City players.
FretFul
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
No point being a scout in England because the system is flawed. All you need to do is look out for six foot plus players, extremely athletic and lots of upper body weight. Essentially, future Stoke City players.
Couldn't have put it better myself.
rj1990
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That is so true! Premier League standard is going down fast with these type of players.

The Micah Richard's type players. They have the ball control and vision of a drunk donkey!
Jampolo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ah this made me laugh

You couldnt hit the nail anymore on the head !

England doesn't look for skillful talented players, we scout for players like.... Emille Heskey (dare i say it ? )
Jim-ie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You would need to scout independently and refer said players to local semi pro clubs to land a small poorly paid part time job at a club, and spend a long time working your way up.

or become a translator at barcelona like a certain special manager.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by KMan1)
Best bet in Italy. I'm picking up some Italian as I type. :cool:
wizzard12
Report 8 years ago
Whoever said you need to have been a professional footballer to be a scout is completely wrong, I'm a scout for Brentford F.C and have never played professionally in my life, only Sunday league, and I'm only 17.
TheRealDarthVader
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You would need many years coaching experience, you would also need to know the academy systems, and know your way around match analysis. Match analysis is key - it is the difference between "he had a good game" and "he created four scoring chances for his team by retaining possession in the opponent's defensive third".
Vintage
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
All these people that say experience in the game is needed is stupid. Its not what you know its who you know. Get to know some other scouts etc. See if you can go with them. Go to youth games. Even under 15s etc. Alot of the time there's local clubs who send scouts to them. Identify who they are and go introduce yourself. Get to know people.
inspired
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rj1990)
Unless you were a former professional footballer at a high level it won't happen im afraid mate.
This.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (285)
60.51%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.67%
No- I want it (129)
27.39%
No- I don't want it (35)
7.43%

Watched Threads