Turn on thread page Beta

Insurance for stuff watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the score with insurance in halls? can you add additonal more valuable items on that are not covered as standard?

:confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jon4746)
    Does anyone know the score with insurance in halls? can you add additonal more valuable items on that are not covered as standard?

:confused: :confused:
    I've had a look around and have decided that the best way is to get student specific insurance. I'm getting endsleigh cos it covers things like my computer (you add in valuable items individually) and covers you for walk in theft as well as forced entry. It comes to about 60 quid a year I thinkn which is well worth it.

ReputationRep:
    You can usually add stuff on. I used saxon for 3 years and they were good. There is often a single item limit (£500, £1000 etc) that you can claim for and separate catagories for things like bikes and computers (because they are expensive items and unfortunately easy to nick!).

Generally it is NOT included - though there are exceptions - its included (for a fee!) in my bills at Sheff. Have a shop around though but i'd say get it before you go certainly so you are covered. Also look at things like the excess (amount you will have to pay of any claim - usually something like the first £50) and try and get it as low as you can! It might be me being cynical, but id say don't skimp on cover - better to be a few quid out of pocket up front than the worst happen and be caught short when you really need it.

ReputationRep:
    try saxon, i found it to be cheaper than endesleigh, i think it depends on where you live, cos with endesligh there is much more variation in the prive you pay depending on your postcode (ie. if you live in a crap student area you'll have to pay waaaay more than someone living in a 'nice' suburb)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Guys, i'l get online now

ReputationRep:
    cover4students
    saxon

Used both- cover4students was cheapest when I was in hall.

This year i'm on the folks insurance though- doesn't cover me for an open door walk in but i'm in a house instead of a hall so thats not so much of an issue (I can trust the people i'm living with).

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.