The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It depends, if you are willing to put the effort into your work then I suppose teachers don't really matter, especially for the science subjects, any textbook is sufficient to guide you through the A-Level course.
any textbook is sufficient to guide you through the A-Level course.

It might guide you but it is in no way going to guarantee you the same level of attention or detail that any A-level student deserves from a teacher. A good teacher can make you. Many of my friends used to do the homework from a different class because they felt that their own teacher, who taught straight from the textbook, did not tell them what they needed. And, yeah, this was in a science subject. However I felt that I got the best teachers in the whole school for U6 history and what do ya know - I went up a grade from AS.
I agree, but when you are stuck with a crap teacher, a textbook is better than sitting in class chatting about unrelated stuff. If you do past papers, then you will soon know how much you need to know, and some textbooks are particularly useful because they exactly compliment the modular course of one exam board.
Reply 23
My chemistry teachers were pretty rubbish.

Actually, when we were doing our coursework two girls asked this teacher a question about something and she replied, "Don't ask me, all you girls know more about chemistry than I do anyway"! Ridiculous! She would just spend ages talking to us about the news, her daughters, her special pasta recipe, Lizzie's iPod, the school play, anything other than chemistry. I ended up with a C instead of the B I wanted :frown:
Reply 24
gordon2002
maths teachers arn't that important, most of the work is done by your self, all the teacher does is a few examples. That's maths for you!

What the heck are you going to do when you don't understand something? In that case, the maths teacher is the only person who can explain, and explain it correctly.
Reply 25
amie
My chemistry teachers were pretty rubbish.

Actually, when we were doing our coursework two girls asked this teacher a question about something and she replied, "Don't ask me, all you girls know more about chemistry than I do anyway"! Ridiculous! She would just spend ages talking to us about the news, her daughters, her special pasta recipe, Lizzie's iPod, the school play, anything other than chemistry. I ended up with a C instead of the B I wanted :frown:

lol sorry but dt jus cracked me up :biggrin: , i wish i had her for chem i always wanted to mke sme srt of special pasta
Akhoza
A gud teacher does mke u feel reassured an lazier knowin u dont av to work as hard especially my mths teacher who has been teachin for over 35 yrs :eek: an has taught 2 generations of my family who all got A's and B's in his subject. :eek:

No pressure then :wink:
Reply 27
Macaba
What the heck are you going to do when you don't understand something? In that case, the maths teacher is the only person who can explain, and explain it correctly.

The internet is a great resource :smile:
Reply 28
Gaz031
The internet is a great resource :smile:

Can also be a bad one too :wink: I had a great maths teacher too (on one side) and his teaching methods and the work we did in class helped a lot. It's always great to have someone do something with you, like a maths question, in front of you on paper. I find it helps a lot more than going through an example in a book or whatever.
Reply 29
kpg
Can also be a bad one too :wink: I had a great maths teacher too (on one side) and his teaching methods and the work we did in class helped a lot. It's always great to have someone do something with you, like a maths question, in front of you on paper. I find it helps a lot more than going through an example in a book or whatever.

Fair enough =) - everyone has different ways of learning.
I agree that it probably can be a lot of fun to sit down and do a problem with someone but it's still possible to get the top grade without a physical teacher.
Teachers undoubtedly play an important part in making you interested in the subject and in keeping you motivated. My history teacher is absolutely the best; i asked him for extra help in marking extra essays for me after class and he very willingly did it, so i pretty much owe him quite a bit for the A i got! :P
Reply 31
alexandra010588
Teachers undoubtedly play an important part in making you interested in the subject and in keeping you motivated. My history teacher is absolutely the best; i asked him for extra help in marking extra essays for me after class and he very willingly did it, so i pretty much owe him quite a bit for the A i got! :P

are you sure he wasnt after something else?? :rolleyes:
Reply 32
I think teachers can play a big role, but not always. For instance teachers are essential for preparing you for the actual exams, as only they know exactly what the examiners are looking for as (hopefully) they have taught your syllabus before (unlike my geography teacher!!! :eek:). Knowing all the facts is one thing, but knowing what will actually get you marks is another! Also, from Y7-9 i didn't do well at all in english in my school - this is because i hated the lessons so much as i didn't find my teachers inspirational. However, for my GCSEs i had a wonderful teacher who made lessons fun, and who was enthusiastic, and for the first time in my life i exelled in english!!! I am sure that it was she who inspired me to do well and made me believe that i was good at the subject :biggrin:
Obviously if you have good teachers, it helps a lot, not only in terms of how well you do, but also how much you enjoy the subject. However, I wouldn't choose a subject just because you like the teacher. What would you do if they left halfway through and their replacement was horrible and useless? If you didn't genuinely like the subject, you'd struggle to motivate yourself to do the necessary independent work. Similarly, I wouldn't not take a subject you love just because you don't like the teacher. Again, they might leave and you might get a better one, and as long as you're prepared to work hard on your own, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Latest