This discussion is closed.
Veedy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
There's a programme called Black Ambition tonight on BBC2 (19:30)following the lives of nine black undergraduates at Cambridge who are sitting their finals. Is anyone going to watch it?
Kuz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Veedy)
There's a programme called Black Ambition tonight on BBC2 (19:30)following the lives of nine black undergraduates at Cambridge who are sitting their finals. Is anyone going to watch it?
I am
Sounds interesting!
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Veedy)
I actually found the program insightful. At last BBC2 can host decent a decent documentary .

The first black girl, the thin one, was perhaps the most down to earth person. She didn't let the fact that her degree from Cambridge go to her head. She had a little kid and was in full time study, all credit towards her. She ended up working as an IT analyst in a bank.
The second girl was somewhat arrogant and fooled by her illusion of grandeur, once she graduated with a 2:2 in law from Cambridge, she thought that she was the bee's knee's, and got a job as a coffe-girl in an office. To me, students who graduate from such a prestigous and reknowned University with a 2:2 is a bit of a waste.

I missed some of the program, what was the thin one studying? What did she pass with?
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The thin one was studying Computer Science, I'm not sure what she got though.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
when did they say White Ambition is on? next week?
bumblebee86
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
when did they say White Ambition is on? next week?
You made racist comments before..now don't even start..

The fact that blacks are a minority in this country and much emphasis has been placed on black under achievement, it is great to see some academically bright blacks on television. This will hopefully break down many stereotypes.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jndikum)
How is that a racist comment?
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
quite.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
no, lets start.

i) tell me how that is racist.
ii) where are the other racist comments

The fact that blacks are a minority in this country and much emphasis has been placed on black under achievement, it is great to see some academically bright blacks on television. This will hopefully break down many stereotypes.
stereotypes among blacks? the truth? get the violins out...
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
#.........What the world needs now, is love sweet love, its the only thing that there's just too little of..........#
bumblebee86
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
No..on another thread she was like..yea I got 32% black..way too much and she hinted racism on other threads too..
zizero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No..on another thread she was like..yea I got 32% black..way too much and she has made other racist threads too..
Be specific or drop the allegations!
bumblebee86
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by zizero)
Be specific or drop the allegations!

K..search for the thread..how black are you?
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No..on another thread she was like..yea I got 32% black..way too much and she has made other racist threads too..
bearing in mind im not black, i thought 32% was a little high for the test to be accurate. the test was racist, not me. your the one that has read "black = problem" into the situation, not me. what little respect you must have.

and if you can quote these other threads...thanks.
PuffDaddy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
damn i missed it, too busy revising. DO you think it will come on again? I really want to see the programme, it sounds very interesting.
bumblebee86
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
bearing in mind im not black, i thought 32% was a little high for the test to be accurate. the test was racist, not me. your the one that has read "black = problem" into the situation, not me. what little respect you must have.

and if you can quote these other threads...thanks.
Huh..don't put words in my mouth..when did I say black equals idiot..and why did you take the test if you thought it would not be accurate. So you'd get an accurate 0%
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Huh..don't put words in my mouth..when did I say black equals idiot..
when you presumed having less blackness would be better, idiot.

and why did you take the test if you thought it would not be accurate. So you'd get an accurate 0%
i cant see into the future.

who is this?
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Peace and goodwill to all mankind.
tagzt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i thought the program was interesting, though i find the slightly fat girl a bit irritating. she seemed to have too much of an agenda...she was like "im black and i still made an i aint changed" which i respect but from my experiences, being an ethnic minority at oxbridge really isn't that big a deal. what really annoyed me was wen she went on about how she would not let cultural barriers get in the way of her getting the job she deserved. at the end of the day, if you want a job in law u MUST get a 2.1 because thats how competitive it is and its the same in the other top professions. her being black had nothing to do with it, the fact is she got a 2.2.
Veedy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by PuffDaddy)
damn i missed it, too busy revising. DO you think it will come on again? I really want to see the programme, it sounds very interesting.
Next week. Same time, same place. The series is about 6 programmes long I think.

I thought it was really interesting. There was no obvious direct discrimination at Cambridge for those black students and although the first one got a good job, the second student didn't because a 2:2 isn't going to get you a top job whoever you are, wherever you got it from.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (529)
66.71%
No (264)
33.29%

Watched Threads