Turn on thread page Beta

Black ambition watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tagzt)
    i thought the program was interesting, though i find the slightly fat girl a bit irritating. she seemed to have too much of an agenda...she was like "im black and i still made an i aint changed" which i respect but from my experiences, being an ethnic minority at oxbridge really isn't that big a deal. what really annoyed me was wen she went on about how she would not let cultural barriers get in the way of her getting the job she deserved. at the end of the day, if you want a job in law u MUST get a 2.1 because thats how competitive it is and its the same in the other top professions. her being black had nothing to do with it, the fact is she got a 2.2.
    Well said

I totally agree with you, that girl was a bit irritating just for the sheer fact that she rekoned that she was overcoming all prejudices going to cambridge. She did not seem to realise that if you break down predujices going to cambridge, you've got to put the effort in as well to get the grades that show you really have broken down stereotypes.

Luv

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jndikum)
    You made racist comments before..now don't even start..

The fact that blacks are a minority in this country and much emphasis has been placed on black under achievement, it is great to see some academically bright blacks on television. This will hopefully break down many stereotypes.

Shut up you ignorant ****ing idiot; there is a difference with being racist and being truthful! Why isn't there a White Ambition? this stupid country is no so scared of being even the tiniest bit racist or being accused of being racist it goes into positive discrimination overdrive.

I'd like to point out also that Blacks underachieving in schools isn't ours or the governments problem its black people's problems they have to motivate themselves just like white kids to achieve better; and teachers should give support whenever needed aswell.

This is like at uni there was this Lesbian Gay Bisexual Awareness week; what the **** was that for? I don't see there ever being a Straight Week, Oh wait thats the other 51 weeks; just we don't make such a ****ing big deal out of it.

It's only the Government's problem if ALL kids are underachieving at school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MurphysMoment.)
    Shut up you ignorant ****ing idiot; there is a difference with being racist and being truthful! Why isn't there a White Ambition? this stupid country is no so scared of being even the tiniest bit racist or being accused of being racist it goes into positive discrimination overdrive.

I'd like to point out also that Blacks underachieving in schools isn't ours or the governments problem its black people's problems they have to motivate themselves just like white kids to achieve better; and teachers should give support whenever needed aswell.

This is like at uni there was this Lesbian Gay Bisexual Awareness week; what the **** was that for? I don't see there ever being a Straight Week, Oh wait thats the other 51 weeks; just we don't make such a ****ing big deal out of it.

i only watched it long enough to notice the vetinary student. she was as middle-class,wealthy and educated as any of the other students. but her colour meant she was at some grand disadvantage? she had different motivation issues? what a waste of time this program was.

i think the most amusing comment came when the narrator said that because she was the only black student on her course she would find it inevitably difficult to find a job. er, you mean easier? a black woman has two quota levels in her favour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veedy)
    There's a programme called Black Ambition tonight on BBC2 (19:30)following the lives of nine black undergraduates at Cambridge who are sitting their finals. Is anyone going to watch it?
    I missed it last week, but saw last weeks episode. The thin black girl was saying that now she has got her degree it is time to move onwards and upwards and she is aiming to be an executive banker. She is on a starting salary of £35 000! Can you believe that? Starting salary!

And she was also saying that whenever she is at work she is constantly thinking:

"When i'm at work it's like: Think, think, strategise, network, network, branch, branch, do dis, solve da problem, analyse dis, find da solution, blah blah blah, do it do it do it"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maskall.)
    I missed it last week, but saw last weeks episode. The thin black girl was saying that now she has got her degree it is time to move onwards and upwards and she is aiming to be an executive banker. She is on a starting salary of £35 000! Can you believe that? Starting salary!

And she was also saying that whenever she is at work she is constantly thinking:

"When i'm at work it's like: Think, think, strategise, network, network, branch, branch, do dis, solve da problem, analyse dis, find da solution, blah blah blah, do it do it do it"
    What a dull life she must lead.

ReputationRep:

Why swear so much..does it make you feel big? LOL..you're a joka..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    To me, students who graduate from such a prestigous and reknowned University with a 2:2 is a bit of a waste.
    How many times :rolleyes:, there is no national system of testing the quality of degrees, it's crudely approximated by percentage in the university. So in a year of 100 at cambridge you can come 56th and even if you are better than the whole of the rest of the country except the 55 above you still get a 2:2.

2:2 at oxbridge does not equal a 2:2 somewhere else. Infact if you look at a-level performance asa benchmark, which is a poor way tbh, then it'd probably by a first at many other unis.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    How many times :rolleyes:, there is no national system of testing the quality of degrees, it's crudely approximated by percentage in the university. So in a year of 100 at cambridge you can come 56th and even if you are better than the whole of the rest of the country except the 55 above you still get a 2:2.

2:2 at oxbridge does not equal a 2:2 somewhere else. Infact if you look at a-level performance asa benchmark, which is a poor way tbh, then it'd probably by a first at many other unis.

Alaric.
    ahh right..didn't know that..cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Why swear so much..does it make you feel big? LOL..you're a joka..

Because your stupidity angers me!

ReputationRep:
    Because your stupidity angers me!
    Hmm..stupid..never been called that before.. look man.. go get your guinness and swear at some leprecaun..me? stupid?..lol...you're funny..you're wasting your energy over someone you do not even know..

What I think is funny about this forum thing is that although many people argue on it, they might get on if they met in real life without having met here first..hmm..intesting.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm..stupid..never been called that before.. look man.. go get your guinness and swear at some leprecaun..me? stupid?..lol...you're funny..you're wasting your energy over someone you do not even know..

What I think is funny about this forum thing is that although many people argue on it, they might get on if they met in real life without having met here first..hmm..intesting.

Ironic who is accusing who is being racist now? Oh and your comment about being never been called stupid; I'm actually surprised at that judging by your spelling and blatant contradictions.

Oh and I can assure you I am not wasting my energy on you

ReputationRep:
    Ironic who is accusing who is being racist now? Oh and your comment about being never been called stupid; I'm actually surprised at that judging by your spelling and blatant contradictions.

Oh and I can assure you I am not wasting my energy on you
    lol..typos..this is not a spelling test..my grades tell me just how good my english is. contradictions. damn straight..which human doesn't do it?

ReputationRep:
    lol..typos..this is not a spelling test..my grades tell me just how good my english is. contradictions. damn straight..which human doesn't do it?

Correct it is not a spelling test, but I was under the impression that in order to be exempt from the category "Stupid" you could spell simple words.

Its not what you get in your precious English exam if you can't use the skills gained from it then it your grade is not even worth the paper its on.

Also true contradictions are part of being human, however your contradiction of being racist to me sort of destroyed your 'Don't be racist' argument.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm..stupid..never been called that before.. look man.. go get your guinness and swear at some leprecaun..me? stupid?..lol....
    Wow. You utter utter retard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Wow. You utter utter retard.
    lol..comedians...funny guy. I bet half the people here aren't bad people..its just this allows us to each bring our opinions forward (sometimes very strong ) and our negative side shows.

ReputationRep:
    Correct it is not a spelling test, but I was under the impression that in order to be exempt from the category "Stupid" you could spell simple words.

Its not what you get in your precious English exam if you can't use the skills gained from it then it your grade is not even worth the paper its on.

Also true contradictions are part of being human, however your contradiction of being racist to me sort of destroyed your 'Don't be racist' argument.
    You're quite right.

ReputationRep:
    When is this program on again?

ReputationRep:
    lol..comedians...funny guy. I bet half the people here aren't bad people..its just this allows us to each bring our opinions forward (sometimes very strong ) and our negative side shows.
    In the same thread you took the moral high ground by calling Vienna a racist, only to later make a blatantly xenophobic comment.

Yet you think it's laughable when people call you a retard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    In the same thread you took the moral high ground by calling Vienna a racist, only to later make a blatantly xenophobic comment.

Yet you think it's laughable when people call you a retard?
    I contradicted myself..and what..what are you going to do about it? I was blatanty xenophobic. Well done Mr. Harvard..you're quick. Well he defended a racist and I retaliated. Yes, it's laughable because I obviously am not one. Perhaps you are the retarded fellow. Besides, what does racism have to do with being a retard? Enlighten me lord of justice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kristina)
    When is this program on again?
    Wednesday 7:30 BBC 2

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.