Turn on thread page Beta

Black ambition watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atom)
    Obviously you haven't applied to Cambridge, otherwise you'd know that there are no such things as access schemes to get in. Acceptance is based solely on merit at the time of application. In addition, the course I am reading (Mathematics) required extra papers (STEP) to be taken in order to get in. Heres a link to a sample paper. Question 1 is piss easy, but the rest are considerably harder:
    http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...text/text.html

I'm not suprised your so familiar with the spelling of the word 'hypocrite' as you seem to be a natural one. Your hate for it I assume comes from the fact that you've likely been called it many times before. Heres an ironic example of hypocritsm:
    In your attack on me...

...yet in your previous defence,

As far as I'm concerned, racism is never appropriate no matter what the circumstances. If you are as clever as you seem to assume you would understand that.
    hehe..i think its safe to say thats Game Over.

ReputationRep:
    I have been searching the bbc website for two weeks in order to gain contact details of the actual producer or production company for this program. "Black Ambition"

It would be very appreciated if you could assist?

Thanks in advance

Dondadda

(Original post by Veedy)
    There's a programme called Black Ambition tonight on BBC2 (19:30)following the lives of nine black undergraduates at Cambridge who are sitting their finals. Is anyone going to watch it?

ReputationRep:
    I have been searching the bbc website for two weeks in order to gain contact details of the actual producer or production company for this program. "Black Ambition"

It would be very appreciated if you could assist?

Thanks in advance

Dondadda

(Original post by tagzt)
    i thought the program was interesting, though i find the slightly fat girl a bit irritating. she seemed to have too much of an agenda...she was like "im black and i still made an i aint changed" which i respect but from my experiences, being an ethnic minority at oxbridge really isn't that big a deal. what really annoyed me was wen she went on about how she would not let cultural barriers get in the way of her getting the job she deserved. at the end of the day, if you want a job in law u MUST get a 2.1 because thats how competitive it is and its the same in the other top professions. her being black had nothing to do with it, the fact is she got a 2.2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atom)
    Obviously you haven't applied to Cambridge, otherwise you'd know that there are no such things as access schemes to get in. Acceptance is based solely on merit at the time of application. In addition, the course I am reading (Mathematics) required extra papers (STEP) to be taken in order to get in. Heres a link to a sample paper. Question 1 is piss easy, but the rest are considerably harder:
    http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...text/text.html

I'm not suprised your so familiar with the spelling of the word 'hypocrite' as you seem to be a natural one. Your hate for it I assume comes from the fact that you've likely been called it many times before. Heres an ironic example of hypocritsm:
    In your attack on me...

...yet in your previous defence,

As far as I'm concerned, racism is never appropriate no matter what the circumstances. If you are as clever as you seem to assume you should understand that.
    OK man, fair enough..you win. I admire the fact that you're studying Maths at Cambridge actually believe it or not so I'll just leave it be. I respect Oxbridge students..the fact they're there says a lot about them as people. Hard working, motivated etc. Admirable qualities. Yes, I did contradict myself on many of my comments. And no, I have not been called one before. Many of the things I say on this forum I keep to myself in real life. I'm sure it's the same for many others.

I meant the Cambridge access scheme for minority students. And yes, It does exist. GEEMA. Darshan Brahunbatt would know about it, Gonville and Caius. I hear he is quite well known.

Anyway Adios

John

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    hehe..i think its safe to say thats Game Over.
    Quite right..lol..I'm tired..too tired to argue anymore..lol

ReputationRep:
    i watched the show last week and saw the Vet student abd how she clearly was struggling to gain a work placement in the future.
    however this week the atitude of the two girls didnt really impress me, in that they thought just because they were black they should be treated differently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jndikum)
    Quite right..lol..I'm tired..too tired to argue anymore..lol
    You're still a ********.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MurphysMoment.)
    Your still a ********.
    And you chap, are gay.

ReputationRep:
    I loved that theology student who wanted to go into a bar, have lots of guys make certain assumptions about her because she's blond, then slip her phD from Cambridge into the conversation. Absolutely love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jndikum)
    And you chap, are gay.

Homophobic and racist; Jesus you are good at showing what a hypocrite you are, next thing you'll be telling us your a member of the KKK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    when did they say White Ambition is on? next week?
    This is naive more than provocative because it manages to ignore much wider ideas and it also undermines any other opinions that you may latter give. It is the one and only argument, alongside demonising asylum seekers, the BNP use to further their revolting agenda.

You specifically talk about "white ambition". Reread the original title. Is your comment entirely random? yes? no? What is it you want to get at by slipping in "white", what kind of response do you want?

You may like to think why there are "black" events. Is it because black people were made slaves in every way by what you call "whites". Do you dispute this as a crime against humanity? I’ll let you explore that avenue yourself. Can you understand why some may find such a program offensive in this context?

Is this the response you wanted? Now are you going to say, "How was I being racist?" Very predicatb,e.

I know you are impatient and eagerly waiting but it won’t be aired "next week". If your that concerned you may wish to suggest some ideas to any TV channel and give example cases where "whites" must struggle to overcome the barrage of discrimination they face when looking for a job. Maybe even set up a "rights for whites" campaign.

PS: I don’t like referring to people as "black" or "white". I don’t like people going back on concepts that we as a society have developed over a long, long time because I believe in social evolution. Put simply, I don’t like racists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mariam Safe)
    This is naive more than provocative because it manages to ignore much wider ideas and it also undermines any other opinions that you may latter give. It is the one and only argument, alongside demonising asylum seekers, the BNP use to further their revolting agenda.
    what on earth are u talking about?

You specifically talk about "white ambition". Reread the original title. Is your comment entirely random? yes? no? What is it you want to get at by slipping in "white", what kind of response do you want?
    it wasnt random, it was quite intentional. i wanted to show how black ambition and white ambition should be seen as the same thing. racially divisive. i have no problem in such a program, but if you find the idea of 'white ambition' so racist then surely it should apply for 'black ambition', unless youre racist yourself of course.

You may like to think why there are "black" events. Is it because black people were made slaves in every way by what you call "whites". Do you dispute this as a crime against humanity? I’ll let you explore that avenue yourself. Can you understand why some may find such a program offensive in this context?
    no, not really. you have a very pathetic and saddening view on life, society and values in the 21st century

Is this the response you wanted? Now are you going to say, "How was I being racist?" Very predicatb,e.
    so predictable that you should be able to answer it for me.

I know you are impatient and eagerly waiting but it won’t be aired "next week". If your that concerned you may wish to suggest some ideas to any TV channel and give example cases where "whites" must struggle to overcome the barrage of discrimination they face when looking for a job. Maybe even set up a "rights for whites" campaign.
    barrage of discrimination. what hole have you been living in?
    i think whites have a right not to be discriminated against yes. or do we not count? we all advocate the slave trade because we are white? we should accept positive discriminaton because of the colour of our skin? that is racist, hypocritical and very very saddening.

PS: I don’t like referring to people as "black" or "white".
    u clearly do as you wouldnt have posted this.

I don’t like people going back on concepts that we as a society have developed over a long, long time because I believe in social evolution. Put simply, I don’t like racists.
    slightly contradictory...oh, sorry, this is the complimentary 'im not a racist really' line....everyones gotta have one, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nazi Vienna95)
    I saw that one as well, I giggled a bit at that too because she is this Cambridge (?) graduate aiming to be an executive banker and she was talking like DIS and DAT and sounded like someone from DA street. Solve DA problem! Anyone else see that bit?
    yeah really funny.

I'm sorry, if I argue with you I'll be stooping far too low. i not the kind of person who picks cat fights, and unfortunatly my skills in insulting people are pretty bad.

Just read my last post again. Keep reading it until you can think of any other points to say other than "if blacks have tv programmes so should whites".

ReputationRep:
    "if blacks have tv programmes so should whites".
    sounds like racial equality to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingpong)
    So when is White Ambition on?
    hehe...i dont think it will be, not in this liberal lifetime anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MurphysMoment.)
    Homophobic and racist; Jesus you are good at showing what a hypocrite you are, next thing you'll be telling us your a member of the KKK.
    How does saying that you're gay make me homophobic OR a hypocrite. Firstly, it does not make me a hypocrite because I did not mention any about homosexuality prior to the comment. Secondly, it does not make me homophobic. Realising you were Irish, I knew how much it would probably bug you (seeing as the country is religious and all).

Oh yes, life in the KKK was grand. Quite good, dragging those negros across the ground (sarcasm these days).

ReputationRep:
    You make out that slavery is simply a "white" vs "black" issue. This suggest that you know very little about the history of slavery, in particular the history of the trans-Atlantic slave trade. The below passage shows how Africans (or "blacks") were also responsible for a large part of the attrocities.

"Between 1450 and the end of the nineteenth century, slaves were obtained from along the west coast of Africa with the full and active co-operation of African kings and merchants. (There were occasional military campaigns organised by Europeans to capture slaves, especially by the Portuguese in what is now Angola, but this accounts for only a small percentage of the total.) In return, the African kings and merchants received various trade goods including beads, cowrie shells (used as money), textiles, brandy, horses, and perhaps most importantly, guns. The guns were used to help expand empires and obtain more slaves, until they were finally used against the European colonisers. The export of trade goods from Europe to Africa forms the first side of the triangular trade."
    http://africanhistory.about.com/libr.../aa080601a.htm

Also, Muslim traders conducted their own slave trade, often forgotten, which accounted for about 5 million slaves than the whole of the trans-Atlanic trade (read the below passage and check out the article if you find this hard to believe). Would you find a simliar program called Muslim Ambition offensive in this context?

"However, Europe did not have a monopoly on slavery. Muslim traders also exported as many as 17 million slaves to the coast of the Indian Ocean, the Middle East, and North Africa."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/1523100.stm

My points above do not condone slavery or the trans-atlantic slave trade. The slave trade was a dreadful crime against humanity, but not simply as you put it, a crime by "whites" against "blacks".
    I'm sorry to use the generalisations "blacks" and "whites", but I use them only to respond in the context of your argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingpong)
    Why not?

Britain is like 90% white, surely it would be beneficial...?
    White ambition is on every day. Every time you see Tony Blair, George Bush, Bill Clinton, Richard Branson, Bill Gates, the list is endless, you are seeing white ambition.

Yes, it is true, you do not see as many successful blacks as whites IN THIS COUNTRY which is why they have made such programmes. They encourage blacks to realise that they do have potential and life goes beyond drug dealing.

I know what you are thinking now. 'It's not our fault black people don't work hard'. I recall someone above mentioning that the less academic people tend to be on the poorer end of the line, and this is usually the blacks. I think such a programme is certainly beneficial. I am a black pre-medic with a possible offer at Queen Mary's Medical. It hurts to see that many of my black peers do not take their education as seriously. Such a programme will let them see that blacks can succeed in this country.

It is not really a matter of racial equality. I can understand your point Vienna95, in fact I would be thinking the same if I was white but it is simply but what they are trying to do is encourage blacks to succeed. I admire the Indians. They seemed to have got hold of the idea. Now it is time for the blacks to dream big.

The country would gain a lot with more people succeeding. There are many black 'bums' in the country. Imagine if all of them could be scientist, doctors, lawyers. The British economy as a whole would prosper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atom)
    You make out that slavery is simply a "white" vs "black" issue. This suggest that you know very little about the history of slavery, in particular the history of the thrans-Atlantic slave trade. The below passage shows how Africans (or "blacks") were also responsible for a large part of the attrocities.

"Between 1450 and the end of the nineteenth century, slaves were obtained from along the west coast of Africa with the full and active co-operation of African kings and merchants. (There were occasional military campaigns organised by Europeans to capture slaves, especially by the Portuguese in what is now Angola, but this accounts for only a small percentage of the total.) In return, the African kings and merchants received various trade goods including beads, cowrie shells (used as money), textiles, brandy, horses, and perhaps most importantly, guns. The guns were used to help expand empires and obtain more slaves, until they were finally used against the European colonisers. The export of trade goods from Europe to Africa forms the first side of the triangular trade."

Also, Muslim traders conducted their own slave trade, often forgotten, which accounted for about 5 million slaves than the whole of the trans-Atlanic trade (read the below passage and check out the article if you find this hard to believe). Would you find a simliar program called Muslim Ambition offensive in this context?

"However, Europe did not have a monopoly on slavery. Muslim traders also exported as many as 17 million slaves to the coast of the Indian Ocean, the Middle East, and North Africa."

My points above do not condone slavery or the trans-atlantic slave trade. The slave trade was a dreadful crime against humanity, but not simply as you put it, a crime by "whites" against "blacks".
    I'm sorry to use the generalisations "blacks" and "whites", but I use them only to respond in the context of your argument.
    thankyou for an informative post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atom)
    You make out that slavery is simply a "white" vs "black" issue. This suggest that you know very little about the history of slavery, in particular the history of the trans-Atlantic slave trade. The below passage shows how Africans (or "blacks") were also responsible for a large part of the attrocities.

The muslims in college always protest when I say this. Hmm..proof at last.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.