This discussion is closed.
yawn1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Yes, but Freedom Summer was way back in 1964 and I don't see how disenfanchisement from the electoral process in the deep South 40 years ago has anything to do with how black kids are underperforming in today's schools.

And that's what we're talking about here. Underperformance in early years that perpetuates itself through adult life. Now tell me. Why?
I was referring to the measures taken against blacks during the last Presidential election in California and Florida - now when was that? 3, 4 years ago.

My contribution to this thread was made in response to your post saying that as blacks only made up a very small % of the population they should not expect to be promoted to the higher places currently occupied by whites.

Your observation that blacks underperform from early life is actually incorrect. Research has proved that the progress made in education does sometimes stagnate with the onset of puberty (as it does with all males as a matter of interest). Of course there will be exceptions as there always is.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
I was referring to the measures taken against blacks during the last Presidential election in California and Florida - now when was that? 3, 4 years ago.

My contribution to this thread was made in response to your post saying that as blacks only made up a very small % of the population they should not expect to be promoted to the higher places currently occupied by whites.

Your observation that blacks underperform from early life is actually incorrect. Research has proved that the progress made in education does sometimes stagnate with the onset of puberty (as it does with all males as a matter of interest). Of course there will be exceptions as there always is.
First of all please do not twist my words and drag my conytributions into the gutter.

I never said anything like "as blacks only made up a very small % of the population they should not expect to be promoted to the higher places currently occupied by whites" You know I did'nt.

What I actually said was that if blacks make up 10% of the population then the law of probability provides that we shouldn't reasonably expect them to occupy more than 10% of the top jobs. I don't think that's an unfair statement do you?

Now, back to underperformance.

Ok. If you want to be pedantic I'll take your word for it that black kids perform equally well (even "better" if it makes you happy) as white kids during the early years and that it's actually only at puberty that we see the onset of underperformance. You may be right. I'm not an educational psychologist.

But, you asked me why blacks feature so little in business and politics. I put it down to underperformance. I've told you I don't know why this is so but that I don't believe it has a damn thing to do with racism.

So again, you tell me. Why do blacks underperform?

Also, please tell me what happened in the last Presidential election in Florida and California.
foxyfeline
Report 16 years ago
This is turning into a cyber bloodbath! First of all do any of you know the race of the person who produced this programme? My guess is that seeing as this programme was made by the BBC, the producer was white. SO HELLOOOO, it's not as if black people decided to tell the world that we have got brains, we know that it has always been in us. Fair enough this programme was encouraging but it was simply (in my view) a pathetic attempt by the British education system to redeem itself and say 'Look we aren't letting Black people down. There are some in Cambridge.' For those of you who think that institutional racism has died, tell me, are you black? It is so much easier to say this from an outsiders point of view but unless you consider yourself a chamelion and can change your skin colour, dont even bother to make such false claims. I am an international school who has been taught by white teachers even outside EUROPE- in fact my whole LIFE! In all the classes I was in the teachers paid more attention to the white students never mind the fact that they made up less than 20% of the class population. In this case, the only way that the black students could excel was to get extra tutoring. Can you imagine being let down by the education system in your own country because of a few bigoted teachers let alone in a country where you are in the minority? Also you guys seem to be missing the point that most of the students featuring in the programme had had at least some part of their education outside the UK. Doesn't that mean anything? So the question is not so much why do Black students underperform, it is why do they underperform in western countries such as the US and the UK.
JabberJaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Wow its getting heavy here.

All i know is as a young black male @ school you were treated slightly different to european children.
How different its hard to explain unless you've walked a mile in my shoes.

I'd like to think things have moved on since but alot of young black males either choose or are pushed towards the typical Perceived Stereotype from the dark dayz.
When i was @ school we were always pushed towards athletics and not book smarts.(except swimming because or bones are heavier than europeans. )

Anyway

How do you make a tissue dance?

You put a little boogie in it.
foxyfeline
Report 16 years ago
You know what Jabber jaw? We need more people like you who know who to lighten up a tight situation. Well here's one for you.

What is a polygon?

A dead Parrot!!! HAHAHA that one really cracked me up when I heard it.
JabberJaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
very good foxy

Was gettin 2 tents fort a crappy joke mite ease the corners.
Keeping it Real
Report 15 years ago
First of all please do not twist my words and drag my conytributions into the gutter.

I never said anything like "as blacks only made up a very small % of the population they should not expect to be promoted to the higher places currently occupied by whites" You know I did'nt.

What I actually said was that if blacks make up 10% of the population then the law of probability provides that we shouldn't reasonably expect them to occupy more than 10% of the top jobs. I don't think that's an unfair statement do you?

Now, back to underperformance.

Ok. If you want to be pedantic I'll take your word for it that black kids perform equally well (even "better" if it makes you happy) as white kids during the early years and that it's actually only at puberty that we see the onset of underperformance. You may be right. I'm not an educational psychologist.

But, you asked me why blacks feature so little in business and politics. I put it down to underperformance. I've told you I don't know why this is so but that I don't believe it has a damn thing to do with racism.

So again, you tell me. Why do blacks underperform?

Also, please tell me what happened in the last Presidential election in Florida and California.

The reason why blacks underperform is a much bigger topic than this forum, thread, or yourself can handle. It requires an open unbiased mind. Institutionalised racism and racism itself is real. Now lets ask why does it exist? Yes it exists in education too! I could flood you with stories and statements that would shock you! So come on lets not live in denial!
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Keeping it Real)
The reason why blacks underperform is a much bigger topic than this forum, thread, or yourself can handle. It requires an open unbiased mind. Institutionalised racism and racism itself is real. Now lets ask why does it exist? Yes it exists in education too! I could flood you with stories and statements that would shock you! So come on lets not live in denial!
I doubt that. I'm not easily shocked.
lionessandcub
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
I actually found the program insightful. At last BBC2 can host decent a decent documentary .

The first black girl, the thin one, was perhaps the most down to earth person. She didn't let the fact that her degree from Cambridge go to her head. She had a little kid and was in full time study, all credit towards her. She ended up working as an IT analyst in a bank.

I missed some of the program, what was the thin one studying?
I studied Land Economy (Law, Economics and Environment) for the first 2 years and then completed in Computer Science.

Am I really that THIN? :eek:
lionessandcub
Report 15 years ago
What a dull life she must lead.
Obviously you did not watch the program. The comment reported here was in reference to what its like in that partiuclar high pressure investment banking job.

Don't hate dude.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lionessandcub)
Obviously you did not watch the program. The comment reported here was in reference to what its like in that partiuclar high pressure investment banking job.

Don't hate dude.
Go away.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Just to add, I watched this program and I still don't see the point of it.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bradders)
To show that the BBC “embraces other cultures … [groan]” or rather to show how “institutionalised racism” has been completely replaced by, well, even more “institutionalised racism” …
But I don't see the point that is highlighted in showing clips of the lives of 3 black cambridge graduates.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I thought it was an interesting insight into the universities and I don't see what's wrong with focusing on black people in such long-established places where we know racism (as well as sexism and several other -isms) does exist, as it does in the workplace.
Lucille
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
dont say that Braggers! The thread must survive! the thread must go on! anyway, I am here now.

I am Lucy - I was on the fourth programme, what did you guys think of me? I can assure you I am not like the way they portrayed me, but I'll let u - if u like- say what u think first.

Goodness! Vienna, Howard and a few others are a bit in the dark! eh? eh?? i like the fact that you are trying to be controversial, but best to get things straight first. I agree, positive discrimination like employing MORE than the population for particular jobs is wrong coz it is unfair but u have to realise what issues are facing black people in western countries.

slavery broke the black family in two. Unlike Indians, black people rarely grow up in normal family units - one father one mother. most are brought up in single parent families. this is a disadvantage, financially and emotionally. people are scard of black people - they are generally bigger physically and their faces and expressions are more difficult to interpret if you are not used to them. i went to a school where the white teachers ****ted their pants everyday coz they found the black kids frightening. yeah they were rowdy, but if u dont feel accustomed to them, you wont be able to properly approach them - didnt make for good schooling. Black people fight a stigma of being stupid. if a posh white person says something silly but says it in a posh voice, people will generally accept it as just a normal thing to say. If a black person says something silly, people automatically think they are stupid coz they are black - try it out next time you hear white and black people talking about something - trust me, this test works. When I was at uni, I used to go around with my hair slicked back like a londoner. i might have well have done an online degree in my room. when i had my hair out in a crazy 'ethnic looking' afro, people were falling over themselves to say hello and introduce themselves. just a few examples that spring to mind - dont take it out of context you deniers!!

Black people need a leg up coz they have been pushed so far down the normal ways of picking themselves up no longer work. racism has been fed into black life generationally - not ocming home one day and saying "oh dear, someone said a racist remark to me, dear" but actually, in every aspect of social life, jobs, everday interaction, education you name it for years, and years and years and years and years. what do you think that does to people? to minds? to hearts? to nations?? the hatred put on them, without a public show of regret and accounting for it and positively addressing it, means that you are trying to brush it under the carpet, making us internalise it, passively accepting it - never a good idea, would you not agree??

damn, this country ****ed us over BIG TIME and still are doing it!! i think its time someone did something positive for my community!

Love, peace and moschino

Lucy (“) xxx
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (151)
60.89%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.44%
No- I want it (69)
27.82%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.85%

Watched Threads