RAF pilot Watch

This discussion is closed.
dizzzzzy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i used to really want to join the RAF and im now regretting not applying for the 6th form scholarship but im still interested. wot do u need to be a pilot- health wise and stuff and is it too late to apply after uni cos im goin to salford in summer.
any other jobs you can use with a modern languages and translating & interpreting degree in the RAF?
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dizzzzzy)
i used to really want to join the RAF and im now regretting not applying for the 6th form scholarship but im still interested. wot do u need to be a pilot- health wise and stuff and is it too late to apply after uni cos im goin to salford in summer.
any other jobs you can use with a modern languages and translating & interpreting degree in the RAF?
If you want to be a pilot Salford do a very good auroneutic engineering course designed for people that want to be aircraft engineers or pilots.

I'm sure you will be able to use langauges in the RAF though.
sue123
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
Read the RAF News every fortnight. Any book on the modern RAF would do; go to a bookshop and see which you like! Read every page in the RAF's website for an overview; and the careers website too.
Is the RAF news sold generally or is it mail order?
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sue123)
Is the RAF news sold generally or is it mail order?
It's sold generally, but isn't distributed everywhere. WH Smiths in York had it last time I was there, so it must be trackable.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
If you want to be a pilot Salford do a very good auroneutic engineering course designed for people that want to be aircraft engineers or pilots.

I'm sure you will be able to use langauges in the RAF though.
Yes, there are Int-branch related jobs, all sorts of sneaky beaky things involving listening to radio transmissions and interpreting.

Pick middle eastern or eastern European languages!
Sasha D
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
It's sold generally, but isn't distributed everywhere. WH Smiths in York had it last time I was there, so it must be trackable.
well that's abit vague
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you'd like me to present a list of every newsagent in the UK which stocks the RAF News, you're asking a bit much.

Major WH Smiths have them. Larger Spar shops. A few independant newsagents, normally in towns near bases (Thirsk, St Andrews, Lincoln.....)

Failing that, someone with the required initiative to be an officer could probably track it down.... I hope!
Sasha D
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Wzz)
If you'd like me to present a list of every newsagent in the UK which stocks the RAF News, you're asking a bit much.

Major WH Smiths have them. Larger Spar shops. A few independant newsagents, normally in towns near bases (Thirsk, St Andrews, Lincoln.....)

Failing that, someone with the required initiative to be an officer could probably track it down.... I hope!
It sounds as though you can only give the type of information that can be found on the internet, eg, the rafcarrers site or various others. Your information seems vague and inevitably ends with 'i could talk to you about such and such until i'm blue in the face', knowing that people generally don't e-mail, they just continue to post. It makes me wonder whether you are a fake. Not to be arguementitive but i had to ask.
gliderpilot
Report 14 years ago
The RAF News has its own website (Google comes in handy once again) where you can request an order form for a subscription. Subscribing costs £15 for the year, saving you a grand total of 60p.
ben_2mk
Report 14 years ago
hi, sorry i have no information on the raf apart from the website, unless you havent tried www.raf.mod.co.uk/careers which gives u info on being a pilot. But i am in the exact same position as you, i am 15 years old, and im want to join the raf to be a pilot. I have tried to get information on being a pilot, but the website doesnt really give you much, i have ordered a booklet whihc you can do on the website on careers. So if you get any information on the raf please can you email me so i also can get it. My email address is [email protected], thanks a lot, and i hope to hear from you, cya =)
ben_2mk
Report 14 years ago
is 20/20 vision a must...? cause i ahve got good vision but it isnt 20/20 vision, and i really want to become a pilot.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sasha D)
It sounds as though you can only give the type of information that can be found on the internet, eg, the rafcarrers site or various others. Your information seems vague and inevitably ends with 'i could talk to you about such and such until i'm blue in the face', knowing that people generally don't e-mail, they just continue to post. It makes me wonder whether you are a fake. Not to be arguementitive but i had to ask.
Well, I find that to be unnecessarily confrontational. If you can think of anything that would prove I'm genuine, then feel free to ask for it. What could I tell you that isn't available on the internet but that is confirmable?

There's a box of biscuits on the right hand side of the tea bar in the OASC selection officers' crewroom; on the left is the TV. When flying, you have to carry a British Isles & North Atlantic En Route Supplement, a Flight Information Handbook, all appropriate amendments, a high and low level local area map, a complete collection of fast-jet Terminal Approach Plates, and the reference cards for your jet. You can't tumble dry a flying suit. Orderly officers have to raise the ensign at 0745 even at weekends. Grade 1 en-suite mess accommodation for officers costs about £4 a day. Initial rate flying pay is worth about £12-13 a day.

The only vague replies I've made to the best of my knowledge have been to vague questions. Search for my posts; plenty are very specific. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask them and I'll answer!!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ben_2mk)
is 20/20 vision a must...? cause i ahve got good vision but it isnt 20/20 vision, and i really want to become a pilot.
Yes, 6/6 vision is a must to be selected I'm afraid.
alex_cleary2004
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sue123)
i'm 15 and not a member of the atc and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on getting involved with the RAF to eventually become a pilot. I've looked on the raf website but i'm still not clear on things like duties, whether or not you have to have a degree or what the fitness requirements are etc.m any advice would be useful thanks.
it isn't easy is it. you need to be 17 & have 5 GCSE at grade c+. joining the atc is very helpful (thier is a site for the atc telling you where all the stations are.) you could either join near the bottom or like me try & take the scholarship route, good luck in your exams & who knows we might meet in the air.
Alex_cleary2004
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (264)
80.73%
Leave (63)
19.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise