The Student Room Group

How much extra would IB do for me?

(Not entirely sure if this is the right place to post this, but I can't see anywhere else. Sorry.)

I'm in year 11 now, deciding on my options for the future. I'm predicted pretty much straight As/A*s, and I'm a huge nut for languages (as a hobby) and maths (as a career path).

My IB plan would be -

HL Maths
HL Economics
HL Physics

SL English
SL Comp Sci
SL French

I already have an AS in French, I'm good with my HL options, and my ICT teacher actually told me, "please do IB Comp Sci, I can guarantee you a 7".

My other option would be A level:

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Physics

...with all four taken to A2 level. As I said I'm also a massive language nut, so I'd be continuing my French and Japanese as a hobby, with the intention of taking the remaining AS and A2 exams when I'm ready (my teachers have okayed this; they trust me, and I'm approaching AS level in Japanese now).

Either those four main A-levels or my IB options would suffice to get me into any university course I'm interested in - Comp Sci, Physics, Maths or Economics. That's no issue.

But my options are: a difficult IB course, or six A-levels. Most people say I'm going to die. I just say I'm aiming for Oxbridge :smile:

So speaking from your respective experience, would IB be a good option? What extra would it offer me in the long term, and would it give me a significant boost when it comes to university?

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated!
HL Maths
HL Economics
HL Physics

is roughly equivalent to

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Physics

SL English really isn't too hard (depends on your teacher, but it doesn't have to be a lot of work), and the others you enjoy/are interested at, shouldn't be that much more.

The comp sci might be relevant for your coure and therefore help.

Also IB allows for much more discrimination among candidates as a 7, especially in say HL maths is quite an accomplishment, as opposed to A's at A level. Of course this has probably changed with the introduction of the A*.

And then there is the whole IB ethos, and of course the CAS, extended essay and theory of knowledge components, which *purportedly* universities like. But then again, with critical thinking and EPQ. But if you are doing lots of A lvls, EPQ, critical thinking, and maybe DoE as an alternative to CAS you effectively have the same workload anyway.

So I can't really give you a concrete answer just some things to consider.

Other important factors should be what school your doing it at and whether or not they have any experience with the IB as there have been lots of horror stories of school's in their first year of doing the IB.

Perhaps crucially is whether or not you have at least *some* interest in all the subjects you are doing - this really helps. If you feel you are having to take subjects and really don't like doing them this really drags you back in the IB, and excuse the anecdotal evidence, lots of people at my school have this problem. But from what I can tell you shouldn't have this problem.
Reply 2
Maths Higher?

Only choose it, if you're a bloody Leibniz. It's nigh impossible to get a 6 in it. Our school has not been running it for 20 years. Actually, there were 25 people in our college, taking Maths standard, this September. Now there are only 8 of us left. I like maths and I'm good at maths. I'm also a megalomaniac, but I'm telling you, it is damn hard!

Latest

Trending

Trending