The Student Room Group

The big fat STEP megathread (NOT for getting help with maths questions)

Scroll to see replies

I've noticed that difficulty of papers vary a lot. For example, I've managed to do 8 questions from III 2001, but I can only do 1 from III 2000.
They do vary, but I don't think III 2000 was *that* difficult.
Reply 322
tommm
I've noticed that difficulty of papers vary a lot. For example, I've managed to do 8 questions from III 2001, but I can only do 1 from III 2000.

They vary quite a bit. Did anyone else think STEP II 2005 was ridiculously easy? I managed to do more on that paper than on most of the older STEP I papers.
turgon
They vary quite a bit. Did anyone else think STEP II 2005 was ridiculously easy? I managed to do more on that paper than on most of the older STEP I papers.

Yeah, STEP II 2005 was a very easy paper. I didn't like III though. Ugly.
Reply 324
I reckon 2001 was the easiest set of papers. 2005 was alright as well. It depends a lot on what kind of questions you're good at though, but I think those 2 years favoured a more A-Level style. I haven't looked at either since June though...
Reply 325
Ive decided to apply for oxford (I think....ill probably make a definite decision in July).

Does anyone else know anything about the chances/conditions of getting an interview at Oxford??
Reply 326
The obvious ones would be do well in your AS levels and on their Entrance paper.
Poshtotty
I have seen a lot of uni's mention STEP in relation to the maths degrees.

What exactly is it?
And would I be able to take it if I wanted to?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/STEP :smile:
Reply 328
The wiki page more or less sums it up.

It's an entrance exam which is required primarily by Cambridge and Warwick (but Durham has been known to give out a few STEP offers)... it draws on A-level knowledge but requires you to think way more outside the box than you'd expected to do in an A-level exam. You can do it even if it's not required for your uni admission, though, but you'd have to be a little bit crazy.
Reply 329
nuodai
The wiki page more or less sums it up.

It's an entrance exam which is required primarily by Cambridge and Warwick (but Durham has been known to give out a few STEP offers)... it draws on A-level knowledge but requires you to think way more outside the box than you'd expected to do in an A-level exam. You can do it even if it's not required for your uni admission, though, but you'd have to be a little bit crazy.

Where do you take it? If I apply for Oxford and I want to take the STEP anyway, where will I sit it?
Reply 330
ShortRef
Where do you take it? If I apply for Oxford and I want to take the STEP anyway, where will I sit it?

It's sat in the same way as all of your A2 exams, so as long as your school enters you, you'll sit it at your school... you get your grade on the same day as the A-levels and AEAs as well. Bear in mind that your school might (or might not) charge you to sit it if it's not actually a part of your offer... speak to whoever administers the exams at your school about it.
Reply 331
I had exactly same problem except that I took C3 this January and I haven't taken C4 yet!! (Im in year 13 and yes I am doing further maths)

the truth is it does not really matter as long as you know what you know and what you don't.. in my case I didn't.. I thought I knew something about vectors when I hadn't done C4 in the cambridge interview and wasted 10 minutes out of 30 in the interview.. hence rejected (was pooled first though)

If i were you I would not take STEP nor AEA until next year cos getting a '3' in STEP would not get you anywhere for oxford... just tell them you are planning to take it.. to get an interview, write a GOOD personal statement ask for good reference telling them why ur GCSE grades werent as good as it could've been etc...

ShortRef
Hi,

My scenario is a bit different. Most people take the full A level maths in the first year of college, and the further maths A level in the next year.

Our teachers have decided we will do the FP1 exam in June, and the C4 in January next (acedemic) year. A bit of a problem, as most of the questions in the STEP require alot of C4 ^^.

Is it a good idea to just learn C4 now and prepare over the summer? That would be my idea of a holiday :cool: or concentrate on my other subjects (computing..physics) and secure my 2 A's in them.

Also:
Do I even have any chance to even get interviewed at Oxbridge with my ...not so great GCSE grades (1 A*, 3 A's and 6 B's, (2 of the B's were in DiDa and we were on the new OCR course for Science which resulted in me getting 2 less A*'s than I should have (science in the news!!!))). I love maths, I must be one of the few people that read maths in their spare time for fun :smile: and get annoyed when my teachers say 'differential' instead of 'derivative' (and tell me that I can't write y' as a substitute for dy/dx).
Reply 332
If by a lot of universities you mean Cambridge and Warwick, then yes, a lot of universities mention it. =P
STEP is a collective term for a set of three 3-hour torture methods usually used to kill off any remaining motivation/social life a student has after taking their maths and further maths exams. But if you do good in it you can laugh at all your classmates that only have a-levels. The only reason to do it if it's not in your offer and you haven't mentioned it in your personal statement is to challenge yourself, which is a good thing I guess, but when I revised for them I was under the impression that university maths would be of a similar pain-in-the-ass. Fortunately it's not, so if you survive STEP you can survive term 1 at least.
Its only used in offers by Cambridge and Warwick, but taking it is encouraged (or was, when I last looked, over a year ago) by Oxford (which has its own entrance exam), Bristol, Imperial...,

The important thing about it for me was that it was a lot more challenging, and therefore more 'fun' (in some slightly warped sense) than the ordinary Further Maths A level.

It also looks good on ur CV (obv.)
Reply 335
Recursion
Its only used in offers by Cambridge and Warwick, but taking it is encouraged (or was, when I last looked, over a year ago) by Oxford (which has its own entrance exam), Bristol, Imperial...,

The important thing about it for me was that it was a lot more challenging, and therefore more 'fun' (in some slightly warped sense) than the ordinary Further Maths A level.

It also looks good on ur CV (obv.)

Wait, wut? Correct me if I'm wrong but, I would imagine most employers won't even know what it is and hence it becomes even more useless than A levels after you graduate.
Aksan
Wait, wut? Correct me if I'm wrong but, I would imagine most employers won't even know what it is and hence it becomes even more useless than A levels after you graduate.

You're right. I'm still using it in my applications for work over the summer (less important, but no less difficult to find [or so it feels] than graduate employment). But tbh, I doubt anything other than my pulse matters :smile:

Sorry for the slight digression.
Advanced Problems in Core Mathematics Stephen Siklos

"... a candidate who did two complete probability questions and one complete mechanics question will obtain the same grade as one who did four complete pure questions"

I was under the assumption that each and every question is worth 20 marks, but in light of the info, this only applies to the pure questions. Am i right?
TheLoneRanger
Advanced Problems in Core Mathematics Stephen Siklos

"... a candidate who did two complete probability questions and one complete mechanics question will obtain the same grade as one who did four complete pure questions"

I was under the assumption that each and every question is worth 20 marks, but in light of the info, this only applies to the pure questions. Am i right?

My copy of that booklet says 'three complete probability questions'. Since there are only 2 probability questions as of the 2008 paper, I'm guessing the change was made blindly without updating the latter part of the sentence, changing its meaning.
TheUnbeliever
My copy of that booklet says 'three complete probability questions'. Since there are only 2 probability questions as of the 2008 paper, I'm guessing the change was made blindly without updating the latter part of the sentence, changing its meaning.

Yep, that'd make sense - thanks for the heads-up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending