Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by way2go)

I found that it is very difficult to get a good view of what the college atmosphere is like. I heard people say that Merton is quite arrogant; others say it is very friendly and open-minded. The same is true for Magdalen: some say it is one of the prestigious colleges, though not as posh and conservative as Christ Church, Balliol and New, but actually very informal; others say it is very stuck-up and posh. By now, I don't know what to believe anymore and I don't led me guide too much by all prejudiced and exagerated opinions of others. I do believe that there exists a distinct difference in culture between the two colleges, but actually I still don't know what this difference exactly is. If anyone would be able to formulate a clear and fair comparison between the two, I would be very happy to read that.
    Don't equate Balliol with ChCh and New. Balliol is entirely different. Certainly not posh and deginitely not cosnervative. It is historically one of the most radical colleges in terms of politics with more students to the left of the political spectrum. It is also one of the least formal.

I think you'll find the atmosphere at Merton is fine. Most people who are anti Merton seem to have either encountered an individual Merton student they didn't like or just like to knock a college where the students get a better deal than at their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scanner)
    Don't equate Balliol with ChCh and New. Balliol is entirely different. Certainly not posh and deginitely not cosnervative. It is historically one of the most radical colleges in terms of politics with more students to the left of the political spectrum. It is also one of the least formal.

I think you'll find the atmosphere at Merton is fine. Most people who are anti Merton seem to have either encountered an individual Merton student they didn't like or just like to knock a college where the students get a better deal than at their own.
    My apologies for that. Obviously I misjudged Balliol college. But you see what I mean? It is very difficult to get a good view of the atmosphere at a certain college without actually visiting it (during term-time).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by way2go)
    My apologies for that. Obviously I misjudged Balliol college. But you see what I mean? It is very difficult to get a good view of the atmosphere at a certain college without actually visiting it (during term-time).
    tbh its difficult to get a good idea of the atmosphere at a college without actually studying there.

ReputationRep:
    I think the best thing is to try to visit the college you are interested in, look at stats like male: female and private:state, and make an informed choice. It is impossible to say whetehr you are a strong or weak candidate, i was really not sure about myself, and thought perhaps i was not on the strong side. I ended up going for one of the hardest colleges in Cambridge, Emmanuel, for vet med becasue i liked it, and people seemed to think this was aiming too high. I got in though, so my advice is to go for it if you think you would like it and fit in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzy_vet)
    I think the best thing is to try to visit the college you are interested in, look at stats like male: female and private:state, and make an informed choice. It is impossible to say whetehr you are a strong or weak candidate, i was really not sure about myself, and thought perhaps i was not on the strong side. I ended up going for one of the hardest colleges in Cambridge, Emmanuel, for vet med becasue i liked it, and people seemed to think this was aiming too high. I got in though, so my advice is to go for it if you think you would like it and fit in.
    yep id second that, i applied to merton without any idea about its history/prestige and had i known i probably wouldn't have applied. but i got in and am having a good time so just give it a go.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.