The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Kyrotec
What texts r you 'people' studyin at a2?

Duchess of Malfi (crap really, we've been looking at Hamlet to improve our contextual knowledge - really underlines .. well the crapness of Webster!!)

John Keats poetry (which we are starting next week)

And .. I'm currently redrafting my coursework on Remains of the Day (part tedious/part brilliant) and Room With a View (nice girly read I feel. Am officially in love with George Emerson!!)
Reply 21
Bah I hate Keats :P I am going to start Coleridge soon. I thought Keats language was bit verbose, helps if you do classics, style bit similar to neo-classicists :frown: However, I he was not at a 'mature' writing style so he probs would have calmed down :smile:. Nature can be awesome but a dalliance with the moon :P it seemed so Shakespeare.. except ...missing emotional depth. When I read some of his poetry I did not feel able to "connect" or that he was expressing raw emotion.
Anyway :P only ma thoughts :smile:
Dunno wot uni i wanna go to - ah gud old comp slang this yr interestin the english positions 2003.
Was something like ox,ucl,york,durham,leeds,..,camb. war.
Anyone read War and Peace I am tempted about reading it, but 1000 pages is kinda argh! Think i'll stick to Divine Comedy

Uni shud be pretty awesome, bout time someone posted an eng lit forum :smile: ciao
Reply 22
Yeah, I've read War & Peace - good novel, but sooo hard to keep track of all the characters :rolleyes: . I prefer Dostoevsky to Tolstoy anywayz (Crime and Punishment is really good).

Either Warwick or York is my first choice uni - haven't heard from either yet :frown: Ah well, must just be patient I guess. I'd be quite happy at any of my six unis tho.
Reply 23
mm war literature - so far i have read catch 22, regen. trilogy, strange meeting, verra britain letters of lost gen., all quiet on western front, owen + sassoon's poetry. Intend to read the Somme, and Fatherland :smile:
I like war poetry a lot despise jingoism :/ it snaps u right back into the tragedy of war.
Oh read Tamburlaine v 133t - interesting representation of the hero useful to compare with ww1, also Henry V
Reply 24
Only 5 peeps doing english lit. - i was kinda hopin 4 more :frown:
Reply 25
Acid_Rain
East Anglia (Offer BBB)

They must have liked you - my housemate who does english lit got offered AAB by them. Or it might have been ABB. But still the offer had an A in it!
Reply 26
hi - i'm post a level and am going to bristol (i think, haven't quite decided btw that and york) as got offers from them, southampton, exeter and brum. (not cambridge, mucked up the interview)
i did othello, chaucer's general prologue, wuthering heights for AS, and jonson's volpone, paradise lost bks 1 +2, middlemarch and the way we live now, and the victorian novel for synoptic for A2. i'd be happy to chat with neone about them- pm me or post here, i don't mind. (am missing english so much, my brain is slowly wlting in my rather dull job!!)
ps whoever said warwick is a bubblesomething town, its not even a town! its a campus near coventry and leamington spa. and its a v cool uni to go to! (my bro went there and he loved it)
Reply 27
i'm doing english lit (wohoo!)

predicted:
eng lit A, german A/B, bus stud A/B (my school is so specific)

offers:
UWE - 320 points
cardiff - rejected (meh)
reading - 320 points, will be my 1st choice!!
bristol - nothing yet
warwick - nothing yet

for a level, am studying othello which is fantastic, war synoptic, john keats poetry, and did coursework on madness in 'the yellow wallpaper' and 'good morning midnight'. loving it all lol.
haven't managed to get through as many war readings as you guys by the sounds of it - so far read captain corelli's mandolin, strange meeting and birdsong, all of which were excellent! read a lot of poetry and tried catch 22 but couldn't stand it (sorry!)
serendipity
Who applied for English Lit?
Please state your predicted grades, the unis you have applied to, and any offers/rejections you have had.

Thanks.

Predicted grades: AABC (I dispute the latter grades - predictions just don't work with me)

Exeter (English with North American study) - offer AAB
Reading - offer 320 points (CCCC for my subjects)
UCL - yet to reply
Oxford - are now crap (according to me)
York - unworthy of my brilliance
Warwick - do not want me
Reply 29
Specialheffa

Texts i study at A2, got quite a modern focus:

Emily Dickinson poetry
Tempest
Great Gatsby
Comparison of Who's afraid of Virginia woolf and Streetcar named desire for coursework
Unseen critical appreciation exam... 20th American literature

I absolutely adored Streetcar - did it for AS - i thought it was one of the most incredible pieces of writing. I saw it in production at the National with Glenn Close - fantastic, she was brilliant as Blanche however nothing really could disguise her age - she was a little too old to play her.
Reply 30
Evil Muffin
Predicted grades: AABC (I dispute the latter grades - predictions just don't work with me)

Exeter (English with North American study) - offer AAB
Reading - offer 320 points (CCCC for my subjects)
UCL - yet to reply
Oxford - are now crap (according to me)
York - unworthy of my brilliance
Warwick - do not want me

Warwick didn't want me either :smile: you're not alone!

Is your course at Exeter a four year one with a year in America? My friend has an AAA offer (she was predicted AAA - exeter say they always ask you to achieve your predictions, so she expected it) for the same course - what's your first choice?
Reply 31
press2play
read a lot of poetry and tried catch 22 but couldn't stand it (sorry!)

:eek: I love Catch-22 (am re-reading it at the moment as a matter of fact) - although its soooo hard to keep track of whats going on because the narrative skips backwards and forwards in time.

So far for the Synoptic Unit I've read:
The Regeneration Trilogy
Birdsong
Strange Meeting
All Quiet on the Western Front
A Farewell To Arms
Testament of Youth
Letters from a lost Generation
Henry V
Catch-22
+ a selection of poetry by Sassoon/ Owen/ Brooke etc

(Got a letter inviting me to an interview at Warwick this morning, yay! :biggrin: )
serendipity
Warwick didn't want me either :smile: you're not alone!

Is your course at Exeter a four year one with a year in America? My friend has an AAA offer (she was predicted AAA - exeter say they always ask you to achieve your predictions, so she expected it) for the same course - what's your first choice?

No, its a 3 year one with 2nd year in America (hopefully, university of california at berkeley!). It wasn't one of my favourites to get into, but after looking a little further into it, it looks pretty good: nice town, uni and going to the US for a year certainly compensates for not getting into Oxford! Is your friend going to the post-application open day in Feb?

The thing that bothered me about Warwick is that at an open day, an admissions tutor told me that I had the right A levels for it (I'm doing an Art AVCE course), but after I got rejected, I checked on the UCAS site and it said they didn't take those with AVCEs despite the fact that I'm doing the equivalent of 4 A levels. Talk about a waste of time!
Reply 33
Acid_Rain
:eek: I love Catch-22 (am re-reading it at the moment as a matter of fact) - although its soooo hard to keep track of whats going on because the narrative skips backwards and forwards in time.

So far for the Synoptic Unit I've read:
The Regeneration Trilogy
Birdsong
Strange Meeting
All Quiet on the Western Front
A Farewell To Arms
Testament of Youth
Letters from a lost Generation
Henry V
Catch-22
+ a selection of poetry by Sassoon/ Owen/ Brooke etc

(Got a letter inviting me to an interview at Warwick this morning, yay! :biggrin: )

What is the synoptic unit btw? I'm not doing that. Congrats on ur interview :smile:
Reply 34
Evil Muffin
No, its a 3 year one with 2nd year in America (hopefully, university of california at berkeley!). It wasn't one of my favourites to get into, but after looking a little further into it, it looks pretty good: nice town, uni and going to the US for a year certainly compensates for not getting into Oxford! Is your friend going to the post-application open day in Feb?

The thing that bothered me about Warwick is that at an open day, an admissions tutor told me that I had the right A levels for it (I'm doing an Art AVCE course), but after I got rejected, I checked on the UCAS site and it said they didn't take those with AVCEs despite the fact that I'm doing the equivalent of 4 A levels. Talk about a waste of time!

Oh no that's so annoying!
I think i got confused about exeter - i reckon it must be the three year she's applied to. I assume she's also going to the open day in feb.

Warwick is annoying. :mad: I kinda reckoned i'd get an interview y'know? Ah well, they don't know what they're missing, rejecting us! :tongue:
Reply 35
serendipity
What is the synoptic unit btw? I'm not doing that. Congrats on ur interview :smile:

Thank You :smile:

Synoptic Unit - Unit 6 of the A Level, entitled "Reading for Meaning". It makes up 40% of my A2 grade and is supposed to use skills you developed in all the other five units. It focuses on 'war in literature', specifically on literature of the first world war & involves a lot of reading :rolleyes:
Reply 36
Acid_Rain
Thank You :smile:

Synoptic Unit - Unit 6 of the A Level, entitled "Reading for Meaning". It makes up 40% of my A2 grade and is supposed to use skills you developed in all the other five units. It focuses on 'war in literature', specifically on literature of the first world war & involves a lot of reading :rolleyes:

That sounds like a great unit. What board are you doing, i'm definately not taking that unit. 40% :eek: is a hell of a lot!
Reply 37
serendipity
That sounds like a great unit. What board are you doing, i'm definately not taking that unit. 40% :eek: is a hell of a lot!

AQA (Although all my other subjects are under Edexcel - joy :rolleyes: )

Yeah, I'm enjoying it a lot :smile: - mostly cause it involves so much independent study. I'm hoping to do well enough in it to make up for my marks on the Keats paper - the bane of my existence at the moment *sigh*
Reply 38
Acid_Rain
AQA (Although all my other subjects are under Edexcel - joy :rolleyes: )

Yeah, I'm enjoying it a lot :smile: - mostly cause it involves so much independent study. I'm hoping to do well enough in it to make up for my marks on the Keats paper - the bane of my existence at the moment *sigh*

Cool I am studying AQA 2 :smile: it is a great exam board! I do Edexcel Hist,OCR Chem.
What is Testament of Youth like? I found letters tad conservative :I. Keat bah I hated it - Initially we were doing a women Romantic anthology - v dire, now we will be doing Blake- yay! Mm I have got some background reading info on the Romantics, i could probs find which books they were from and tell u... It also may help if u look at Byron for war and Romantics as he criticised Keats, and Wordsworth who was involved for idea of transcendence in nature.
Anyway glad u got your interview! Hope i get 1!
Oh yer read Tamburlaine :smile: pretty kewl and will hope for war synoptic :smile:
I have recently bought Black Adder Goes Forth (great!)
Reply 39
serendipity
Who applied for English Lit?
Please state your predicted grades, the unis you have applied to, and any offers/rejections you have had.

Are you talking course Q300 here? thats like generic english, but at some unis its English, some its english lit, some lang and lit, and some english studies.

Achieved grades, a level
English A
French A
Physics A
Chemistry B
Biology B
English AEA - distinction

Oxford - Unconditional
Bristol - Unconditional
Warwick - Interview in feb
Nottingham - Rejected
Edinburgh - nothing