This discussion is closed.
Kyrotec
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Did you have to do much prep. for an AEA?
fayzd
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kyrotec)
Did you have to do much prep. for an AEA?
I glanced through a past paper for about 10 minutes. Does that count?

I guess the fact that I was reading outside the requirements of my course, looking at Derrida helped me (its what i wrote about in the exam) but i was only doing that because i wanted to, not because i thought it would have any relevance to any exam.
Acid_Rain
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Cool I am studying AQA 2 it is a great exam board! I do Edexcel Hist,OCR Chem.
What is Testament of Youth like? I found letters tad conservative :I. Keat bah I hated it - Initially we were doing a women Romantic anthology - v dire, now we will be doing Blake- yay! Mm I have got some background reading info on the Romantics, i could probs find which books they were from and tell u... It also may help if u look at Byron for war and Romantics as he criticised Keats, and Wordsworth who was involved for idea of transcendence in nature.
Anyway glad u got your interview! Hope i get 1!
Oh yer read Tamburlaine pretty kewl and will hope for war synoptic
I have recently bought Black Adder Goes Forth (great!)
I preferred ToY to the letters - much easier to engage with - its a fantastic book.

AQA doesn't provide AEA English Lit. - it only does about four sciencey subjects, if memory serves. Dunno if you can do it under another board.
fayzd
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Acid_Rain)
AQA doesn't provide AEA English Lit. - it only does about four sciencey subjects, if memory serves. Dunno if you can do it under another board.
Each subject at AEA is only done by one board. They divided them up, somehow.

I did A level Edexcel, but the AEA was OCR.
fayzd
Report 16 years ago
And also, you can't do AEA english lit. It's just AEA English, its devised for eng lang, eng lang + lit, and eng lit students. You just choose the questions you feel you can answer best, and you do a little intro to say which analytical perspective you are looking at it from.
Kyrotec
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Argh i cant post anything atm
Kyrotec
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yay 1 got through! Erm is an AEA worth anything apart from if u want to go to oxbridge... Additionally did it provide u with an insight on what english will be like at uni? `.` is it worth takin? Comp typies - gotta love 'em.
Specialheffa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by serendipity)
I absolutely adored Streetcar - did it for AS - i thought it was one of the most incredible pieces of writing. I saw it in production at the National with Glenn Close - fantastic, she was brilliant as Blanche however nothing really could disguise her age - she was a little too old to play her.
I did Glass Menagerie at AS. Yes we went and saw it as well, she was good but too much of a scene-stealer and quite OTT...don't believe she portayed the character with enough depth...
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Specialheffa)
I did Glass Menagerie at AS. Yes we went and saw it as well, she was good but too much of a scene-stealer and quite OTT...don't believe she portayed the character with enough depth...
I love TW's plays! THey are so good
Loki
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by serendipity)
Who applied for English Lit?
Please state your predicted grades, the unis you have applied to, and any offers/rejections you have had.

Thanks.
English Literature-A
Business Studies-A
Psychology-A
Computing-A
Philosophy-(Haven't received it-Night class-Probably B-C though)

Oxford-Rejected
Bristol-Rejected
Manchester-AAB Conditional Offer
Reading-ABB Conditional Offer
Cardiff-ABB Conditional Offer
Royal Holloway-ABB Conditional Offer

I'm currently studying The Miller's Tale,Sons and Lovers,Island of Apples(Hateful book) and The Way of the World.
minxyb*~
Report 16 years ago
Hey,
I applied for English Lit. too...
Oxford - no luck
Durham - rejected... wonder if my A at GCSE had anything to do with it?
Nottingham - rejected, don't mind (but now only half my choices left)
York - ?
Edinburgh - ? <-- want this one badly!
Cardiff - ABB

A-level predictions:
English A
History A
French A

If Edinburgh don't want me *sob* i'll take a year out, teach English abroad or something, get more work experience and reapply through damn damn damned bloody UCAS again... maybe if I put lit. with some other obscure subject it'll make a difference...
If someone else has already had an offer from Edinburgh for English though, that's not looking too hopeful, is it?
And does anyone know what Cardiff's supposed to be like? My lit. teacher doesn't seem to over-enthusiastic.

Jo x
Loki
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I live in Cardiff.
As a university,the people I hear from who study English Lit there seem to enjoy it.I'm not particurarly knowledgeable about course itself or what makes it different to everywhere else.

As a city,I'd strongly urge you to visit here before making a decision as it is a really thriving place.Again,it's really a matter of how well you get on with the place individually but it's somewhere you should see before dismissing.
minxyb*~
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Loki)
I live in Cardiff.
As a university,the people I hear from who study English Lit there seem to enjoy it.I'm not particurarly knowledgeable about course itself or what makes it different to everywhere else.

As a city,I'd strongly urge you to visit here before making a decision as it is a really thriving place.Again,it's really a matter of how well you get on with the place individually but it's somewhere you should see before dismissing.
Thanks, but I definitely haven't dismissed it - and if I don't end up accepting it won't be 'cause of the place! Go up there quite a bit to shop
It'll be the course that swings it though.

Jo x
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Me!! :P
Camb. - reject
Durham - Ack.
Warwick - nothing
York - nothing
St Andrews - nothing
4 A's - English lit. History Chemistry General Studies
I did those A Levels except I did Eng lang/lit you are the only person I've ever heard of who has done that combo of subjects other than me.
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by minxyb*~)
Thanks, but I definitely haven't dismissed it - and if I don't end up accepting it won't be 'cause of the place! Go up there quite a bit to shop
It'll be the course that swings it though.

Jo x
I liked the look of the english course there- lots of variety it seemed and also options for studying other subjects in 1st year. Looads of ppl at my college apply there (i'm in exeter.. it's a nice location if you live in exeter, it's easy to come home!) and get rejected so be pleased you got an offer
Glitterynat
Report 16 years ago
Here are my humble opinions on the texts I had to study at AS/A2 Level:

AS:
Hamlet ~ Not my fave revenge tragedy, but not bad
Top Girls ~ I swear all we study is tragedy and feminism! That's it!! Not too over-enthused about this play.
The Return Of The Native ~ Way too contrived.
Masses of poetry ~ Best bit of the course, looking at Coleridge, Rossetti, Plath, Larkin, Eliot........fabfabfab.

A2:
'20th Century' Coursework ~ I chose The Blind Assassin and had lots of fun with it.
The Duchess of Malfi ~ I can't believe some people didn't like Webster, his style is just so dark and sexy! The Duchess is a bit lame though.
Carol Ann Duffy's poetry ~ If you overlook the feminism issue and over-use of dramatic monologue, this was quite enjoyable.
Wuthering Heights ~ HOW HOW HOW this can possibly be compared with The Return is beyond my comprehension!! It is not a tragedy, dammit! And is obviously far superior.

Ok, there was my happy little rant

FYI, my offers/ grades are:

Law - A
English Lit - B (resitting)
History - B (resitting)

English AEA - Distinction
Politics AS - B

Cardiff: BB
Southampton: 370 points
Leicester: BB
Durham: rejection
York: still waiting
Notts: still waiting
Acid_Rain
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Has anyone else got an interview at Warwick coming up?? Mine is in two weeks and I'm getting reeeeally scared

Also, how come Warwick insist on interviewing candidates for English? Universities like Bristol/ York/ UCL/ Durham must get higher number of applicants to places ratios, yet Warwick is the only uni (Oxbridge excluded) that interviews as part of standard procedure :confused:
Specialheffa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Acid_Rain)
Has anyone else got an interview at Warwick coming up?? Mine is in two weeks and I'm getting reeeeally scared

Also, how come Warwick insist on interviewing candidates for English? Universities like Bristol/ York/ UCL/ Durham must get higher number of applicants to places ratios, yet Warwick is the only uni (Oxbridge excluded) that interviews as part of standard procedure :confused:

Well actually UCL do conduct interviews as part of their proceedure, since i was interviewed, and subsequently given a place. That is the same for Queen Mary's. I withdrew and rejected my application(and interview) from Warwick, ah well.

Anyway, i choose universities that would interview applicants. I respect the institutions a lot more if they use interviews as part of the selection process..
butterflew
Report 16 years ago
I'd appreciate ur opinions eng lit ppl!!
which has the best rep for english (just the department alone, not the uni/ accomodation/ ovrall rankings etc) - based on what you've heard from friends/ teachers/ etc?
bristol/ york/ southampton/ exeter/ brum??
please help! i think its bristol or york but not sure, can't decide... any opinions really wld be appreciated
Evil Muffin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by butterflew)
I'd appreciate ur opinions eng lit ppl!!
which has the best rep for english (just the department alone, not the uni/ accomodation/ ovrall rankings etc) - based on what you've heard from friends/ teachers/ etc?
bristol/ york/ southampton/ exeter/ brum??
please help! i think its bristol or york but not sure, can't decide... any opinions really wld be appreciated
I think its York, though I'm probably going to Exeter
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (5)
50%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
10%
No- I want it (3)
30%
No- I don't want it (1)
10%

Watched Threads