Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi
What is a banker's draft?
InterCity125
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's a special kind of check used for high value transactions.
You get it made out for a certain amount by our bank, and then present it to the other party. It will HAVE to be honoured by your bank and can't bounce like a cheque. They normally charge for them (£10) and you won't be able to get one for more money than you have deposited in your account.
They are used for things like cars etc.
lgs98jonee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
thanks for your help
Kingspharm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by InterCity125)
It's a special kind of check used for high value transactions.
You get it made out for a certain amount by our bank, and then present it to the other party. It will HAVE to be honoured by your bank and can't bounce like a cheque. They normally charge for them (£10) and you won't be able to get one for more money than you have deposited in your account.
They are used for things like cars etc.
Unless they're fake...

There's a lot of scammers faking banker's drafts to buy cars, so if you're offered one in exchange for a car that you're selling, always ring the bank on the draft to authenticate it before handing over the goods.

Most banks charge to issue them. I know that the Halifax did issue them free of charge if you have a savings account with them that doesn't have a cheque book (when I moved house I opened an account specially for the free banker's draft - something like £12 from HSBC).
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1582)
79.3%
Leave (413)
20.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise