The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
mountainmetman
While it can be worth clicking when you see an hazard I almost failed by doing this. But admitidly that's mainly due to having just done my advanced training so I was seeing way too many hazards...
As it is I'd say as soon as you see an hazard that may result in you changing speed or direction, click, and click if it develops. Doing this the other week I comfortably passed my bike theory, on one clip I clicked 3 times, but they were all things that would cause me to take action.
Look for clues to what might happen around you.
Following a taxi, fine and well but people hail taxis, they stop suddenly and might pull across you to get to someone.
In a long line of traffic approaching a junction and someone at the front changes lane at the last minute? Might happen again...

Following a taxi is not a hazard and if you clicked just because you were behind one it would be retarded, if not a fail. Yes, something to be aware of, but not a hazard, just drop back a bit.
Reply 21
Riderz
Following a taxi is not a hazard and if you clicked just because you were behind one it would be retarded, if not a fail. Yes, something to be aware of, but not a hazard, just drop back a bit.

This, if it were a bus on the other hand... You might see people standing up inside the bus so you can expect the bus to stop soon, or if there are people at a bus stop up ahead it might stop. If there is a bus stopped at a bus stop passengers may get off and leap out onto the road in front of the bus, so I reckon if you get a clip with a bus you're laughing - so many possibilities.
R. Murray
The HP clips are staged and I found that identifying what type of road you're on helps.

I doubt they are staged. More like cherry-picked out of hours and hours of driving footage.

The fact that you get horses on the country roads doesn't mean that it was staged. It just reflects the fact that it's statistically more likely to occur and the footage be selected for the test.
Reply 23
GodspeedGehenna
I doubt they are staged. More like cherry-picked out of hours and hours of driving footage.

The fact that you get horses on the country roads doesn't mean that it was staged. It just reflects the fact that it's statistically more likely to occur and the footage be selected for the test.

They are staged, you don't honestly think that they randomly drove about recording everything that's going on for hundreds (thousands?) of miles then watched all the footage and picked out what's useful? They are staged.
R. Murray
They are staged, you don't honestly think that they randomly drove about recording everything that's going on for hundreds (thousands?) of miles then watched all the footage and picked out what's useful? They are staged.

Lmfao, you think that is more of an effort than cordening off entire streets, hiring actors and extras to drive cars, walk down the streets etc etc? :facepalm:

It's very easy to strap a camera to the dashboard and drive around. The hazards that occur on the test are pretty common and occur very regularly. It certainly wouldn't take thousands of miles to capture them.
Reply 25
GodspeedGehenna
Lmfao, you think that is more of an effort than cordening off entire streets, hiring actors and extras to drive cars, walk down the streets etc etc? :facepalm:

It's very easy to strap a camera to the dashboard and drive around. The hazards that occur on the test are pretty common and occur very regularly. It certainly wouldn't take thousands of miles to capture them.

They don't hire actors - the Cardington trainers are used and it is done on open roads (they don't close them). :rolleyes:
R. Murray
They don't hire actors - the Cardington trainers are used and it is done on open roads (they don't close them). :rolleyes:

The point is, you wouldn't need to act them out. Most of the hazards are seen all the time in any given drive.
Reply 27
So tempted to say 'Just perceive the hazards' but I won't. :smile:

I was reading about it in the Theory DVD thing I have yesterday and it said that you have to click as soon as you notice a hazard, and then click again as it develops. Anything that would make you change speed or direction counts as a hazard, so I think it's a case of keeping an eye out for any hints that something might happen.
Reply 28
Right, well I'm going to resit on thursday 24th, I'm just going to click if/when I see ANY hazard, and if it develops click a couple of more times...hope its' enough. I think the wee video you get at hte start isn't very helpful :s-smilie:
Reply 29
I did lots of hazard perception clips from various sources. I had a disc, access to a couple of random (and sometimes obscure) sites found on google and just practiced different ones to see how I did. I found it rather useless learning from one disc because the amount of revision I did allowed me to remember certain clips, despite not knowing specifically where the hazard was. The main trick for me was checking new stuff and reviewing it to see where the actual hazard was after attempting it. That way I learnt what to look out for and was forced to look for other clips to ensure a valid score when revising.
Reply 30
I passed first time on Tue 4th Dec after having thoroughly practised on the official DSA iOS app. Scored full marks for questions and 77% for hazard perception.

I was really worried about the hp bit. Not because of missing the hazards and getting nil but rather clicking too early outside of the window and then being scared of clicking a few more times in case the program thought i was cheating...

As others have noted though, you can click 4/5 times in a row if it is during an actual developing hazard i.e. something that's gonna cause the car in the clip to brake or swerve. Clicking say 4 times when you're sure it's a developing hazard means you'll definitely click in the window and thus get a score.

While it's true that some hazards seem to appear and develop quicker than others, I don't believe that would prove to be detrimental to the overall score if you've been scoring well on the others.

I only used the 10 clips on the iOS app to practice with, again and again, to get a good idea how long the scoring window is and how soon it opens from when each developing hazard first comes into view.

I found the above advice very helpful which is why I am posting, to say thanks and to hopefully help someone else. I can recommend the following link too (apologies if it's already appeared somewhere here before).
Reply 32
Click everytime you think there's a hazard (but don't overclick) and click a second or a third time, a second later after to make sure you're in the frame.

Latest

Trending

Trending