Starting A Phone Contract (Just turned 18) Watch

leon44
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey!
I want the new iPhone 4 next week and as I turned 18 in April I can start a phone contract.
However the network runs a credit check on you when you sign up and I've heard that having no credit history could mean I'm refused a contract.
I'm on the electoral roll and have one bank account with no overdraft, haven't moved house in about 8 years.
Does anyone have any experience with starting a phone contract without any or very little credit history? Is there a good chance I wont get one?

Thanks very much
Leon
Last edited by Professor Oak; 4 months ago
Professor Oak
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A few people here have said that https://www.affordablemobiles.co.uk/ are more lenient with credit history and they've got a contract after being denied elsewhere.

Give that a try!
TheProdigy2k9
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i doubt it but they could.
they will more likely give you one then not
leon44
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by TheProdigy2k9)
i doubt it but they could.
they will more likely give you one then not
Okay, well I think I'll try either way, I've heard they might charge a deposit that I get back after 12 months of being good.
It's just that ive reserved this iPhone at the apple store for release day, so if anything goes wrong next Thursday i'll have ages to wait
chinedu40
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I started having a contract when i was 17, so i don't know what the other guy is talking about. Just literally do it on the internet, enter your details, and they'll send you the phone.
TheProdigy2k9
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by chinedu40)
I started having a contract when i was 17, so i don't know what the other guy is talking about. Just literally do it on the internet, enter your details, and they'll send you the phone.
what you talking about, i know people that were 18 never had a bank account before and got rejected because of their credit check. i said more then likely they will give it but there's times when they won't. don't you think you know it all ********.
chinedu40
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't know why you're getting rude?

I said if he uses the internet, he will definietly get it because he does have a bank account, as long as he can do online shopping, i.e pay for things using his debit card, he'll get it.

So what's the problem?
Indievertigo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That's not possible tbh, you can't get a contract until you're 18. Perhaps your parents signed one for you.

(Original post by leon44)
Hey!
I want the new iPhone 4 next week and as I turned 18 in April I can start a phone contract.
However the network runs a credit check on you when you sign up and I've heard that having no credit history could mean I'm refused a contract.
I'm on the electoral roll and have one bank account with no overdraft, haven't moved house in about 8 years.
Does anyone have any experience with starting a phone contract without any or very little credit history? Is there a good chance I wont get one?

Thanks very much
Leon
They could refuse you, but a mobile phone contract is one of the easiest ways to start building a good credit history - applying anyway will do no harm

You've not moved house for 8 years which is something that will make you appear less risky on a credit check.
IxROCKAFELLAxI
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
18 months ago i was 18 and a half and got refused a contract at the o2 store, because i had no credit history.

At the same time my friend ordered online and his was referred. After waiting roughly ten days, his order was declined.

You could purchase a sim only because the price is less and there is less risk for the network provider.

Or

You could get your hands on a student credit card and make a few small purchases, and pay them off immediately. After 4-6 months, you have a reliable yet small history. You could build it for a year untill they release the iphone 4gs

Or, do what i did and get your parents to pay the direct debit, and you pay them monthly.
chinedu40
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Indievertigo)
That's not possible tbh, you can't get a contract until you're 18. Perhaps your parents signed one for you.

They could refuse you, but a mobile phone contract is one of the easiest ways to start building a good credit history - applying anyway will do no harm

You've not moved house for 8 years which is something that will make you appear less risky on a credit check.
My parents ddnt sign for me
I did it online, t-mobile shop, simple
Indievertigo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My parents ddnt sign for me
I did it online, t-mobile shop, simple
Fair enough. Fraud is a criminal offence that comes with up to 10 years in jail.

Be careful who you let know about that contract, certainly delete your profile pic image, your name and where you want to study, it'd be very easy to identify you from that.
chinedu40
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Indievertigo)
Fair enough. Fraud is a criminal offence that comes with up to 10 years in jail.

Be careful who you let know about that contract, certainly delete your profile pic image, your name and where you want to study, it'd be very easy to identify you from that.
LOL
there's been no problem, i've rang up their customer service several times, they know what age i was when the contract started... tbf i only thought there was a problem when you did it in a store, but online, it's much easier.
leon44
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Well just so you know for reference, I got the contract and didn't have to pay a deposit either, with tesco
So i've got my new iPhone!
chinedu40
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by leon44)
Well just so you know for reference, I got the contract and didn't have to pay a deposit either, with tesco
So i've got my new iPhone!
Did you do it online?
Or ina shop?
theronkinator
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've had three contracts now and never had a single problem with them. Should be fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (284)
15.19%
The paper was reasonable (1038)
55.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (404)
21.6%
It was TERRIBLE (144)
7.7%

Watched Threads