Turn on thread page Beta

CGP GCSE books any good? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I actually get the feeling they wanted you to laugh at them... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    out of my subjects (see below) which subjects do you think i should buy them for?

ReputationRep:
    The cgp book for Aqa statistics is great,everything you need for an A,or a least it got me an A anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Good if you have photographic memory (not me).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skylark)
    Ohmybloodygod YES YES YES YES YES!

I would have totally failed without them. They gave me 9.5 GCSEs

4 A*, 4 A, 2 B

I LOVE CGP!

CGP FOREVER!
    Cool avatar

ReputationRep:
    ive given them a six! they r really colourful...which is always good, and the jokes can sometimes be very annoying. but i dont think they always went into enough detail...even for revision, plus the jokes can get very annoying

ReputationRep:
    The one I used for double award science was great.. I got the top grades with it anyway.

The other ones for maths, geography, english and maybe history etc.. don't bother with them to be honest. They'll be good for support for those aiming for C's and maybe B's but they don't cover enough. The science ones are good because its just leaning facts.. for written subjects they're not much cop.

ReputationRep:
    Ahem! The really big fat History one was really helpful to me doing my History coursework, which I got full marks on. I didn't have an English one, but I had History, Maths, Dbl Science, RE, French (I could never find the german one) and that's about it. I really would recommend them though, you won't find that they were a waste of money. I have quite a visual memory, and in the Chemistry exam I found that the diagrams came to me the way they were drawn in the book. So maybe it's just me. They are good though. V. good.

ReputationRep:
    I personally found that some of the CGP books were helpful for the passing of my GCSE in certain subjects such as with Edexcel Modular Science, since these books (yup, t'is plural since there were two of them lol) were specifically made for the Edexcel exams and had all of the content that I needed to pass all of the modular exams.

I also believe that most of the CGP books are usefull as brief revision notes, however I did not rely on them 100% to help me pass, but used other various books which I bought and was given from teachers for certain subjects. Plus the cartoons and jokes did help me relieve my boredom and not become insane with all of the revision I did!

All in all I have rated the CGP books with a 7!

ReputationRep:
    they dont do History for CCEA and they dont do learning for life and work for CCEA no1 does CCEA!!!!!!!! :mad: but awk well, the DA sci Mod AQA is really good, same for the music one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeski)
    they dont do History for CCEA and they dont do learning for life and work for CCEA no1 does CCEA!!!!!!!! :mad: but awk well, the DA sci Mod AQA is really good, same for the music one...
    actually you can get guides which establish all syllabuses for each subject I think 'Letts' do them, they cover WJEC to CCEA and everything in between xoxo

ReputationRep:
    all revision guides suck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chewwy)
    all revision guides suck.
    'Word'.

ReputationRep:
    I would only have gotten 29 GCSE's if it wasn't for CGP.

ReputationRep:
    I think they're good, but only for use during the course. They put me off using them when it comes to exam time because they contain so much information! There are many other revision guides (for example, I found the "GCSE in a week" series by Letts very good) that contain less information, yet still do the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    I would only have gotten 29 GCSE's if it wasn't for CGP.
    i dont get how you got 10 A*s?? i thought you can only do up to 12 GCSE's...?

ReputationRep:
    I gave it a 5.

CGP Books are good for Sciences but that's about it -- it's crap for subjects like Maths! And don't even think about using CGP for A-level!

@Sarky: 30 A*s?? Seriously??? That's bloody amazing!

@Mikeski: No, there's no limit on the number of GCSEs or A-levels you do. If you wanted to, you could do every single subject offered. You don't even have to do them at 16 -- maybe you could do some at 14, some at 15, or even some at 18! It all depends on how the school work it out. Most schools offer a maximum of 12, and some you can do independantly as a private candidate.

ReputationRep:
    Theyre also good for mathematics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naimslim89)

@Mikeski: No, there's no limit on the number of GCSEs or A-levels you do. If you wanted to, you could do every single subject offered. You don't even have to do them at 16 -- maybe you could do some at 14, some at 15, or even some at 18! It all depends on how the school work it out. Most schools offer a maximum of 12, and some you can do independantly as a private candidate.
    so then, if i went to my head o year and said, i wanna do another sumbject, and i think i cant handle it... how could i? my timetable is completly full! i dont think i could drop RE/RS or PE because they are on at the same time... (you no half of my yr go to re wehn the otha half go tope etc...).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeski)
    so then, if i went to my head o year and said, i wanna do another sumbject, and i think i cant handle it... how could i? my timetable is completly full! i dont think i could drop RE/RS or PE because they are on at the same time... (you no half of my yr go to re wehn the otha half go tope etc...).
    If they let you, you'd have to do them at lunch/after school/out of school.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.