Scroll to see replies

Original post by rival_
2- A's
4- B's
6- C's

What's that then? :confused:
Reply 9141
Original post by Theafricanlegend
Can someone apart from Myrrh reply? (even though he has been very helpful)
Hello

I have recently liked the idea of studying medicine at Uni, and this is my profile:
Don't neg, just because you think i'm bragging (My grades are average on TSR) or because you think I dont have a chance, i'm purely asking!

Be blunt with me, and tell me reasons why you think i won't get in:
Thank you in advance

GCSEs: I have done a short course, does that count as a full gcse? what about distinctions do they count?
6.5 or 6A*'s: Physics, Chem, Bio, Maths, 1/2 Re? ,Arabic, Geography,
3 or 5 A's: Stats, French, English lang. 2 distinctions in ocr nationals..?
4Bs: Literature, Drama, media, PE

Predicted AS levels: AAAB in bio chem maths and physics (hopefully i get an A)
Planning to drop lowest subject.

Work experience (I wanted to do medicine in year 10 and 11) :

Week filing at a local surgery and GP
Surgeon Procedure removing shards off a persons hand (E&A)- in Libya
Surgeon i was in an operation. (cancer related)
2 days in the wards speaking to patients
Attended a session with a doctor (colonscopy)
Day clinic and minor surgeries for a day.

Volunteering:
Mentoring maths 1/2 year
Peer mentoring first aid to children and active member of British red cross. 1/2 year
Life guard and life saver.
Coach 6-7 year olds Tennis :smile:
Shall i apply for a volunteering job in a british heart foundation charity shop?

what Unis do you think i should target?
Thank you all

Very impressive! I would suggest instead of a charity shop, maybe become a ward volunteer or help in a care home as that will expose you to a lot of situations that you'll face as a doctor, and you'll have more experiences to reflect on in your ps :smile: your work experience is very impressive! best of luck :smile: xx
Original post by rival_
2- A's
4- B's
6- C's

Im guessing GCSEs?
Hye I am awaiting my AS results for Maths,Biology,Chemistry and Psychology August 2012.I want to apply for Medicine,but am in a jam cause I don't think I've done well in Chemistry.All universities seem to ask Chemistry for A2 or at least B at AS .What if I don't want to do Chemistry at A2 .Does any body out there know can I still apply if I haven't got B in AS (I intend to resit in Jan2013),or will they reject my application straight.
Im guessing GCSEs?

That's what I thought!
Reply 9145
Original post by Hello Hye Bye
Hye I am awaiting my AS results for Maths,Biology,Chemistry and Psychology August 2012.I want to apply for Medicine,but am in a jam cause I don't think I've done well in Chemistry.All universities seem to ask Chemistry for A2 or at least B at AS .What if I don't want to do Chemistry at A2 .Does any body out there know can I still apply if I haven't got B in AS (I intend to resit in Jan2013),or will they reject my application straight.

Check out this page for medical schools that don't require chemistry A2: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
Does anyone know or could give me advice on what unis i should apply?
Original post by Hello Hye Bye

Many unis take only the predicted results into account, so if your school is willing to predict you an A without you declaring your As results and you resit chem and target and get an A it will greatly improve your chances. Dropping chem will limit your choices greatly.

A friend of mine got BBCC at AS, she applied with predicted results of AAA and restat most of her units in A2 and ended with AAA. And she had got 2 offers.
She will be starting 3rd year at Notts this sept.

I would advice you against dropping Chem and dropping another subject instead and concentrating on Chem. Anyhow whatever decision you take, all the best with it. :smile:
Does anyone know or could give me advice on what unis i should apply?

No one will be able to advice you without knowing your preferences, ukcat/ bmat score. For now the only advice I can give regarding choices is keep away from Birmingham as they are GCSE whores. :biggrin:
Original post by areyouthere?
No one will be able to advice you without knowing your preferences, ukcat/ bmat score. For now the only advice I can give regarding choices is keep away from Birmingham as they are GCSE whores. :biggrin:

??
Original post by sophiekutie
??

They love GCSEs and normally require around 8A*+.
Hello guys:smile:
I am an 18years old boy from Italy, and i'm going to apply in the late days of september for entering a medicine course in the UK. I would like to get your opinions about my chances to get in and to receive some advices that could be useful to me.
I was born in London but i'm italian (well, my parents are from nigeria so i am international rather than italian lol) and i'll be sitting for the ielts exam in a month-time. I'm preparing myself really hard and i think i can get the needed 7-band score.
I think i'm going to try to ucl,oxford, kcl, nottingham and biomedical sciences at London metropolitan as my fifth choice.
But let's come to the point: i premise that i've always wanted to study medicine and become a doctor, two years ago i got unconscious while i was inside a pool and i started drowning but after 6-7 minutes my friends managed to bring me out of the water, fortunately, there was a medic near the pool who woke me up and took me to the hospital where i was recovered in the urgent care section while the doctors told my parents that i was not likely to survive until the next morning because there was too much water inside my body and my brain had remained too much time without absorbing oxigen.
However, after 3 days i was feeling much better and i started talking to the doctors about their profession, i saw the reactions of the patients (3 of them died while i was recovered) and of the physicians that had just lost lifes.
I worked as a volunteer in a soup kitchen, in a foot shelter, a charity organization and a carehome, but the most important thing is not the great number of hours i spent there, but what i've learnt, how to communicate to people from different backgrounds, how to understand their needs and situation, how to interact with individuals that appear "weak". I also shadowed a surgeon in a private clinic e my consultant for several hours, even if i think my experience as an ill was already a good example of what the life of a doctor can be. I am very good at school, i've always done well at Physics and Mathematics Olympiades, (i tutored some guys of my school who were not good in those subjects during last year), in 2011 i won the contest of Latin in my school, i took part to an event related to biology that took place in Milan, 700km far from where i live, that involved the study of many deseases (such as hemophilia, daltonism) and for the last three years i've been elected as a member of the student council of my school. In addition to this i am quite good at playin chess (self taught by reading the rules in book when i was 12) and i love basketball, music (i can play flute quite well).

What do you think? Will it be good if i write all those things in my personal statement? Do I seem to have the right credentials to access the course? How do you judge my english?
Any advice will be considered.

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance:smile:
Original post by kolatytler
Hello guys:smile:
I am an 18years old boy from Italy, and i'm going to apply in the late days of september for entering a medicine course in the UK. I would like to get your opinions about my chances to get in and to receive some advices that could be useful to me.
I was born in London but i'm italian (well, my parents are from nigeria so i am international rather than italian lol) and i'll be sitting for the ielts exam in a month-time. I'm preparing myself really hard and i think i can get the needed 7-band score.
I think i'm going to try to ucl,oxford, kcl, nottingham and biomedical sciences at London metropolitan as my fifth choice.
But let's come to the point: i premise that i've always wanted to study medicine and become a doctor, two years ago i got unconscious while i was inside a pool and i started drowning but after 6-7 minutes my friends managed to bring me out of the water, fortunately, there was a medic near the pool who woke me up and took me to the hospital where i was recovered in the urgent care section while the doctors told my parents that i was not likely to survive until the next morning because there was too much water inside my body and my brain had remained too much time without absorbing oxigen.
However, after 3 days i was feeling much better and i started talking to the doctors about their profession, i saw the reactions of the patients (3 of them died while i was recovered) and of the physicians that had just lost lifes.
I worked as a volunteer in a soup kitchen, in a foot shelter, a charity organization and a carehome, but the most important thing is not the great number of hours i spent there, but what i've learnt, how to communicate to people from different backgrounds, how to understand their needs and situation, how to interact with individuals that appear "weak". I also shadowed a surgeon in a private clinic e my consultant for several hours, even if i think my experience as an ill was already a good example of what the life of a doctor can be. I am very good at school, i've always done well at Physics and Mathematics Olympiades, (i tutored some guys of my school who were not good in those subjects during last year), in 2011 i won the contest of Latin in my school, i took part to an event related to biology that took place in Milan, 700km far from where i live, that involved the study of many deseases (such as hemophilia, daltonism) and for the last three years i've been elected as a member of the student council of my school. In addition to this i am quite good at playin chess (self taught by reading the rules in book when i was 12) and i love basketball, music (i can play flute quite well).

What do you think? Will it be good if i write all those things in my personal statement? Do I seem to have the right credentials to access the course? How do you judge my english?
Any advice will be considered.

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance:smile:

Your English is gooooooood!
x

Hii :smile:

Your English seems very good for a non-native speaker, and it seems you have done quite a bit of work experience, but please remember never post your PS in the public threads of TSR/ or anywhere in the internet as it will be checked for plagiarism. After you have written your final draft, you can post it here, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=240

where current university students will review for it and advice you on any changes to be made.

Regarding your application, you will be categorised as a home student since, you were born in London and have been studying in an EU country. Also remember that for some UK universities you will have to do admission tests, like the UKCAT for KCL and Notts, and the BMAT for Oxford and UCL. So prepare well for them and do them leaving enough time, for you to make any changes to your application if the need arises.

I would advice that you finalise your choices after doing the UKCAT exams.
All the best :smile:

P.S And have a look at the TSR Wiki, it would be really helpful to you, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine .
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sophiekutie
How do you work your UCAS points?

I'm considerting going into medicine/forensics (still considering other options) but not sure what uni's and courses i'll be able to apply to?

I think i will get (GCSE's):
6 A*s - maths (IGCSE), Maths, Chemistry, Physics, ICT (x2),
5 A's - English Lang, R.E, Biology, Geography, (History or English lit)
1 B - (History or English lit)

And i'm hoping to take (A-levels):
AS - Maths, Chem, Phys, Geog, World dev.
A2 - Maths, Chem. Phys.

However i may end up swapping Geog and world dev to Further Maths, Do you think this would be beneficial at all?

Why don't you try and do AS Bio at least, it will increase your choices.
Since you will be already doing 3 sciences, I do not think doing FM will be beneficial, unless you plan to apply to oxbridge.
Oh i'm sorry about the plagiarism, didn't know that..loli'm aware of all the exams i need to sit for, i'll take the ukcat on the 27th of september and i'm sure i can do quite well at iti already know that for me it will be incredibly hard to enter because of the qualities of other applicants, any advice related to what i stated above?excuse me for being a bit obsessive lol, thank you for the support (:
Reply 9156
Why don't you try and do AS Bio at least, it will increase your choices.
Since you will be already doing 3 sciences, I do not think doing FM will be beneficial, unless you plan to apply to oxbridge.

In which case, you will also need Biology
Original post by fletchdd02
In which case, you will also need Biology

What do you mean?
Oh i'm sorry about the plagiarism, didn't know that..loli'm aware of all the exams i need to sit for, i'll take the ukcat on the 27th of september and i'm sure i can do quite well at iti already know that for me it will be incredibly hard to enter because of the qualities of other applicants, any advice related to what i stated above?excuse me for being a bit obsessive lol, thank you for the support (:

As I mentioned before you do have enough work experience, it is now going to depend on how you write it and explain in your PS what you gained from doing them and how that will make you a good doctor.
At the same time, UKCAT/BMAt will play a major role in deciding of your chances.

Medicine is a really competitive course, so it would be difficult for someone to say your chances of getting an offer, the maximum someone could say is whether you will be apply to a particular uni or not. :smile:
They love GCSEs and normally require around 8A*+.

..... Whoa... X_X okay...
Gonna steer clear of them then :P

Latest

Trending

Trending