catmarcy
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey all!

In need of a bit of advice really - Im hoping to study French and Spanish at Uni and the opportunity has come up at college to do the Extended Project. This was great until I narrowed it down to doing the project on either a Psychology based title or a Language based title.

I've spent countless hours trying to come up with a language title that I could write 5,000 words about for the project but it just seems impossible since I am not a huge European politics or history fan and so have eliminated those from my topic titles. The psychology based idea I have, however, would be a lot more fun for me to research and possibly even give me difficulty in narrowing down the essay to 5,000 words.

As mentioned, I really want to do a language degree so what I'm really asking is if it would be a waste of time doing a psychology based EP which has no relation to languages whatsoever and therefore couldn't be spoken about in any interviews for language degrees I may go to in the future? Is it more worthwhile for me to try and do a politicsy-historysy language title so I would have something to talk about in an interview even though I would have more fun doing the other project? Would it even hinder my application to see I've chosen to study a subject other than languages in detail for the EP??

I know, so many questions....but I'm a little desperate here! I've emailed countless Universities about the subject but so far none have been brilliant at getting back to me! So I'd really apprectiate a bit of help maybe from people who have been in my situation, are language students, have done the EP, or simply just have a few thoughts they'd like to share?

Thanks so much in advance guys, really appreciated! x
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Surely you don't have to do something history or politics related? I've just done my 5,000 word third year project on translation and will probably do my final year dissertation on dialect for example, but a friend suggested music to me. I don't really know what this extended project is though.

I don't think it really matters whether you do a language or psychology project just so long as you have enough about other language-related things to say in an interview. I don't think it'd hinder your application either but it might be of an advantage to do it.
catmarcy
Ah, sorry, should have made it clear - all the topics that seem to have enough to write 5,000 words about within languages mostly appear to be history and politics - I don't think I'm very strong in these areas so I wouldn't have thought they'd be something id like to do as part of the EP.

thankyou for the information though! was helpful - thankyou
OperaAtADisco
Report 9 years ago
hey
i did an extended project this year (just finishing off my A2's now). The main part of an extended project is the experience it gives you, because it's so independent and different to what' you're currently doing.
Doing a course related one may help if they interview you (though a lot don't - check to see what different universities interview policies are) but something I found odd while doing it is the fact that the process of completing it is actually more important than the product - you actually have to give a presentation on the process and complete your log book which I think adds up to something like 50-60% of the total marks.
It's a really good thing to put in your personal statement though as uni's love independent learning and you showing that you have a thirst for knowledge by going and doing this.

If you can find something that interests you and is related I would say that was the best route - as SOME uni's will lower grade boundaries for it, but don't worry about doing a different topic - uni's will still like you for it.

Be prepared for a lot of work :L

Hope this helped x
catmarcy
Fab - it really helped to hear from an EP student too! thankyou
OperaAtADisco
Report 9 years ago
No problem! Hope it goes well x
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by catmarcy)
Ah, sorry, should have made it clear - all the topics that seem to have enough to write 5,000 words about within languages mostly appear to be history and politics - I don't think I'm very strong in these areas so I wouldn't have thought they'd be something id like to do as part of the EP.

thankyou for the information though! was helpful - thankyou
Do you have to pick a topic from a list then? That's quite rubbish, I'd hate to be stuck wiht lots of history and politics related things. I'd only do it if you think you'll enjoy it as you can be stronger than you think then.
catmarcy
We get pretty much free range choosing the topic we want to do, problem is I can't think of a topic within languages that I can write 5,000 words about that isn't politics/history..:/

I agree - I do enjoy languages of course, but I feel like I'd have more fun researching the psychology topic. I guess it's choosing between almost practicality and fun! :P
Matt_Man_1991
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I found it pretty useless

Top uni's don't really alter grade requirements for it or anything. I'm studying philosophy and based it on philosophy so it would look nice on my personal statement, I think beyond that though it's pretty pointless
MessyEater
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did my EPQ last year on women in motorsport! Ha! But I'm doing French and Russian at UCL in September!
Absolutely nothing to do with my degree whatsoever but at interview, universities were more concerned with the skills I learnt and the thinking processes etc.

I considered doing a languages one for ages, I was pretty fixed on the idea of trying to write a French film analysis in French until I was shot down being told it had to be written in English. Dang it.

I think it helped me with uni applications though despite the irrelevance of topic. All the unis that interviewed me asked about it and I know a lot of friends who did it had offer grades altered because of it.

More than anything PICK SOMETHING YOU ENJOY. I'm mad about F1 so rabbiting on for nearly 7,000 words in the end was actually enjoyable. It never seemed a chore to do it! You're also way more likely to get a higher grade too because you're motivated to actually find different sources to explore which they like muchos.

Goo luck with whatever you choose!
pinstriped.flower
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did the EPQ in year 12 along side AS levels and got offers to do French and Spanish this year. I looked at the literature side, focusing on the Spanish Civil War which is kind of historical I guess, but really interesting. My friend who is also going to do French at uni did about bilingualism, and I guess you could also do one about language learning and acquisition - perhaps connected with your psychology? It depends whether you are more interested in the literary cultural side of it or the linguistic style analysis - and this would be something to take into account when applying to unis too. As others have said, I don't think they are that bothered what you do it on - mine literally got two sentences in my PS and I only got a B and still received offers from all my unis. Just look at it as a good experience as to what uni might be like, and an opportunity to learn more about your subjects!

My one bit of advice for getting a good grade would be to choose a specific answerable question, preferably with a yes/no answer. Mine was more an evaluate and compare question and I think this was what stopped me getting a better grade.

Good luck!
catmarcy
(Original post by MessyEater)
I did my EPQ last year on women in motorsport! Ha! But I'm doing French and Russian at UCL in September!
Absolutely nothing to do with my degree whatsoever but at interview, universities were more concerned with the skills I learnt and the thinking processes etc.

I considered doing a languages one for ages, I was pretty fixed on the idea of trying to write a French film analysis in French until I was shot down being told it had to be written in English. Dang it.

I think it helped me with uni applications though despite the irrelevance of topic. All the unis that interviewed me asked about it and I know a lot of friends who did it had offer grades altered because of it.
Fab advice, thankyou!! That's made me feel more relaxed about my decision

My friend who is also going to do French at uni did about bilingualism, and I guess you could also do one about language learning and acquisition - perhaps connected with your psychology?
Ah thats interesting! Helpful that you could also come up with a way to help me combine the two - I've been sat down trying to do that for hours and just didn't get anywhere :P Thankyou also for your advice!
user106777
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What I'm doing is creating a translation of a short story as my 'artefact' as it were, then writing an accompanying commentary, detailing why I chose specific words etc, and then an accompanying essay on theories of translation... don't know if you'd consider something like that?

It would be useful if you could link it into work you've already done i.e. I studied Francoise Sagan (Bonjour Tristesse - bane of my life!) this last year, and have found a collection of short stories she wrote and will translate one of them - then I can link it into work i've already studied, her autobiography and so on.

You just need to make sure there's not too much overlap - i.e. I would not be allowed to translate Bonjour Tristesse as it's too similar to the courses i'm already studying.
user106777
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What I'm doing is creating a translation of a short story as my 'artefact' as it were, then writing an accompanying commentary, detailing why I chose specific words etc, and then an accompanying essay on theories of translation... don't know if you'd consider something like that?

It would be useful if you could link it into work you've already done i.e. I studied Francoise Sagan (Bonjour Tristesse - bane of my life!) this last year, and have found a collection of short stories she wrote and will translate one of them - then I can link it into work i've already studied, her autobiography and so on.

You just need to make sure there's not too much overlap - i.e. I would not be allowed to translate Bonjour Tristesse as it's too similar to the courses i'm already studying.

EDIT: This also gets me out of writing a 5000 word essay - as the 'artefact' has no word limit and the accompanying essays are 1000.
BeckyIsOptimistic
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm in the same situation as you - I'm not hugely interested in politics/history so I've decided to concentrate my EPQ on literature (Spanish) & I'm just going to pick a particular author, extract a theme and write an essay.. not sure if that gives you any ideas but I just found it to be the most straightforward idea for me as I do English Lit.
Alevelstudent123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Extended projects are a TOTAL waste of time. Nobody cares!
xmarilynx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think although it's good to do the EP regardless of the subject, it'll be far more beneficial (particularly in terms of university application) if it's relevant to your subject. I don't see why it has to be related to history or politics though - mine was literature, and I had lots of other ideas too if you'd like to me to share It doesn't have to be 5,000 words either - that's the maximum.
BeckyIsOptimistic
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Alevelstudent123)
Extended projects are a TOTAL waste of time. Nobody cares!
They aren't, particularly if you're applying to a competitive course/university and have researched something independently outside of the A level syllabus that is likely to be a part of the degree, for example.
blondie3295
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,

Just wondering what you ended up writing your project on? Coincidentally, I am studying French, Spanish and Psychology for A2 next year and I am massively struggling on finding something to talk about! I'm hoping to study French and Spanish at Uni, so it would be of great help to know what you came up with and other ideas you had, if possible please

Thanks for your time
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (22)
24.72%
No (67)
75.28%

Watched Threads