how to start it off? Watch

This discussion is closed.
oxygenbubbles
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Can anyone give me any examples of how a ps for medicine should be started? I had written mine, but after handing it in and getting it back, mainly covered in red ink and all scored out, I'm doubting I took the right approach and am now setting about writing another.
Elusive Moose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I know a lot of people think a quote is a good way of starting one. If you can find a really relevant one you relate to then that's often a good starting point.

I went for the 'ever since' approach though. Naughty, generic Amy
oxygenbubbles
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Elusive Moose)
I know a lot of people think a quote is a good way of starting one. If you can find a really relevant one you relate to then that's often a good starting point.

I went for the 'ever since' approach though. Naughty, generic Amy
I was thinking of "For as long as I can remember, I have been fascinated by how the human body works.." I don't want to sound like I've copied pages out of a 'How to write a personal statement' book though. :p: What kind of quote?
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Don't worry too much about the start yet. Once you've got the rest there you'll know what direction you're going and have more ideas on how to start it.
Elusive Moose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by oxygenbubbles)
I was thinking of "For as long as I can remember, I have been fascinated by how the human body works.." I don't want to sound like I've copied pages out of a 'How to write a personal statement' book though. :p: What kind of quote?
I'm sure it won't seem generic. So long as the rest of it's original I'm sure they'll understand the beginning's horrible to write. (I'm no expert. Really!)

Erm, on the quote front, the idea is taken from a 'How to write...' talk at the Birmingham Uni open day where the 'good' example (written for English) started 'X once wrote 'the pen is mightier than the sword' and I completely agree with this' or something like that. I don't think it matters what sort of quote, so long as it's subject relevant and you can go on to explain why you agree (or even disagree) with it, sort of giving a kick start to the why you want to study the subject.

That said, it might be harder to find one for medicine.

Sorry, I'm not being much help at all!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (225)
27.81%
No (584)
72.19%

Watched Threads