The Student Room Group

Bleeding on Cerazette

I went on it at the start of this month, everything went as normal but then last Saturday (as in 5 days ago) I started having light but constant bleeding, and I was wondering if anyone else had this? It says that spotting is normal, but this seems more constant. Will:p: probably go to the doctors some time this week but I'm going to be busy so if anyone else has any idea I'd rather avoid it unless the bleeding gets worse.
Thanks in advance guys!
Reply 1
Holly Hiskey
I went on it at the start of this month, everything went as normal but then last Saturday (as in 5 days ago) I started having light but constant bleeding, and I was wondering if anyone else had this? It says that spotting is normal, but this seems more constant. Will:p: probably go to the doctors some time this week but I'm going to be busy so if anyone else has any idea I'd rather avoid it unless the bleeding gets worse.
Thanks in advance guys!

I think this is fairly normal. I read somewhere that only 20% of women stop having periods on cerazette. The rest either have totally irregular cycles or strange periods of bleeding. Just wondering, were you on another pill before you went on cerazette? Had you gained weight before? Are you losing it now? I think my weight gain is due to the pill and I was going to go on the mini-pill to try and lose the weight (I even have a pack of cerazette at the ready) but I wanted to wait until exams were over in case I do bleed like crazy. Periods+full days of exams=not fun

Oh and my doctor said I may experience irregular bleeding, but that after a few months of being on it it should get less and less (until one day I'm period-free).
Reply 2
when i started i bled on and off for 3 weeks 3-4 days then a break for a day or so and then started again. Then i had no periods at all. I was on it for 3 months didnt like it so stopped taking it 3 weeks ago, have yet to have a period and apparently it can take up to a year for your cycle to regulate again.
Reply 3
campy
I think this is fairly normal. I read somewhere that only 20% of women stop having periods on cerazette. The rest either have totally irregular cycles or strange periods of bleeding. Just wondering, were you on another pill before you went on cerazette? Had you gained weight before? Are you losing it now? I think my weight gain is due to the pill and I was going to go on the mini-pill to try and lose the weight (I even have a pack of cerazette at the ready) but I wanted to wait until exams were over in case I do bleed like crazy. Periods+full days of exams=not fun

Oh and my doctor said I may experience irregular bleeding, but that after a few months of being on it it should get less and less (until one day I'm period-free).

I was on microgynen (something like that) before, but I was on it to stop my cramps (complete with fainting and puking haha) but it made it worse! I didn't gain weight then, and I haven't gained weight on cerazette, in fact I've lost half a stone recently. But that's probably because the weather is nicer so I've been running more.
Reply 4
Holly Hiskey
I was on microgynen (something like that) before, but I was on it to stop my cramps (complete with fainting and puking haha) but it made it worse! I didn't gain weight then, and I haven't gained weight on cerazette, in fact I've lost half a stone recently. But that's probably because the weather is nicer so I've been running more.

Oh ok, fair enough. Yeah, I'm always slimmer in the summer cause going outside is pleasant instead of a chore haha. Maybe I should make a thread about this instead of hijacking someone else's...sorry! Also, it sucks that microgynon made yours worse. Microgynon got rid of most of the cramping for me but...I would rather have the cramps than the weight gain.
Sounds totally normal. It's normal for bleeding to be either constant, irregular, lighter, heavier or stop altogether.

If you're wanting to regulate your periods, then cerazette isn't the right pill for you!

I'm on cerazette (and implant) and have had random bleeding every now and then, and about 3-4 weeks of spotting constantly. But it doesn't bother me in the slightest tbh.
When I went to the doctors to get put on this, they said that was one of the common side effects of it, plus on various forums (On here on the cosmo site, womenshealth etc) quite a few people have mentioned that this is what happened when they began taking the pill. And that it'll take 3 months before the pill will get into your system properly, after those 3 months of the pill every thing will even out and be more regular, if not it's probably not the pill for you.
Reply 7
Ilora-Danon
Sounds totally normal. It's normal for bleeding to be either constant, irregular, lighter, heavier or stop altogether.

If you're wanting to regulate your periods, then cerazette isn't the right pill for you!

I'm on cerazette (and implant) and have had random bleeding every now and then, and about 3-4 weeks of spotting constantly. But it doesn't bother me in the slightest tbh.

I don't want to regulate them- I get the kind of cramps that make me pass out from pain, and I throw up regularly too, plus I wanted a contraceptive, so that's why I ended up with Cerazette! Plus a few of my friends have been on it, most of them had no spotting and those that did it was literally a few times a week, so I just wanted to know if the constant spotting was normal!
But a lot of people seem to be saying that after a few months it calms down, so I guess I'll stay on it for a while and see what happens.
Thanks for the advice everyone!
Reply 8
campy
Oh ok, fair enough. Yeah, I'm always slimmer in the summer cause going outside is pleasant instead of a chore haha. Maybe I should make a thread about this instead of hijacking someone else's...sorry! Also, it sucks that microgynon made yours worse. Microgynon got rid of most of the cramping for me but...I would rather have the cramps than the weight gain.

You'd probably get better answers! Apart from anything else, I don't have scales at uni and I don't really think about my weight unless I go up or down a clothes size, so I'm not really a good person to ask haha
Reply 9
Original post by Holly Hiskey
Thanks in advance guys!

I've been on this pill for two years and I haven't had a period, so I'd maybe give it chance to get into your system before giving up on it! :smile: I went on it because I was getting really bad cramps, fainting and bad nausea from when I was taking microgynon. However, for the past two weeks I've had a constant period which is strange and really bad. I have cramps etc and keep panicking as I haven't missed a pill or anything. What could this be? :/
Reply 10
I bled/had constant brown discharge 90% of the time for probably the first 6 months of taking Cerazette. It was a bit annoying, but pantyliners were a god send! It started to calm down after that, and now I've been on Cerazette for just over a year and I get pretty much nothing! So it is worth sticking with it if you can deal with the light bleeding to begin with!

Quick Reply

Latest