Pointless compulsory language Watch

This discussion is closed.
Wilko_777
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Basically today we found out at school, that we are having to take a lesson of Arabic/Chinese once every two weeks (100 minute lesson). I think that sort of takes the p*ss, when we are taking 4 AS levels, plus general studies, and plus 1 lesson of PE every two weeks. The school has no reason to make us take this pointless subject, they are just trying to make themselves look good after getting some crappy language college status.

Has anyone else had a language forced down their throat?
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
well our school is a language college but we didn't have to take random language lessons!? but I wouldn't mind taking Latin lessons though as it's probably useful later on. Oh btw, P.E. is not compulsory at sixth form.
Pixelated
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Would you feel the same if I told you Chinese (Mandarin) is the World's most widely spoken language? It's hardly pointless mate. Extremely helpful both in academics and extra-curricular senses to have a language. Your Uni Admissions tutors won't feel the same as you, either.
ayroman03
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You think youve got it bad...I've got 1 hour of "Liberal Studies" and one hour or RE every single week. 120 minutes a week of pointless sh*T and a waste of time If you ask me...and they wont let you skive it :mad:.
Wilko_777
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Pixelated)
Would you feel the same if I told you Chinese (Mandarin) is the World's most widely spoken language? It's hardly pointless mate.
Hum... that may be the case, but i couldn't give a f8ck about languages, hence the reason why I got a D in German.
Lykabelle
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Wilko_777)
Hum... that may be the case, but i couldn't give a f8ck about languages, hence the reason why I got a D in German.
ahh lol. Well for me, I would like those lessons because I personally love learning languages but making them compulsory for you at sixth form is unfortunate if languages are not your strength. However it would look good if you do well when you apply to universities as someone just mentioned.
~Bex~
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by darkenergy)
well our school is a language college but we didn't have to take random language lessons!? but I wouldn't mind taking Latin lessons though as it's probably useful later on. Oh btw, P.E. is not compulsory at sixth form.
Yes it is. If you go to a school sixth form it is supposed to be compulsory to do 2 hours of physical activity a week, key skills and a daily act of communal worship. Most schools totally ignore this stuff, but it is compulsory.
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ~Bex~)
Yes it is. If you go to a school sixth form it is supposed to be compulsory to do 2 hours of physical activity a week, key skills and a daily act of communal worship. Most schools totally ignore this stuff, but it is compulsory.
oh right. yeah mine is a school sixth form, but P.E. is not compulsory for upper sixths. We didn't have to do key skills, nor do we need to do R.E. (well maybe because i was doing extra subjects), but PE wasn't compulsory at all for upper sixth, it was for lower sixth though.
twiga
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Nope but you never know, that language may be useful one day, and the universities will LOVE it!
oblivious
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i had to do a language when i got into a sixth form last year that was a language college, left though but it was an hour every week of either french, spanish or chinese
soulsussed
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
PE isn't compulsory for any of the 6th former st my scholl, but at the college im going to i have to do PTE, philosphy, theology and ethnics, wich is compulsory because its a religous school. You dnt have ot do PE there, its a college, ur free of that crap.

Chinese would be interesting though!
Purple
Badges: 15
Report 13 years ago
You should do chinese, but anyway they should give a better variety of languages to you
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (9)
39.13%
No (14)
60.87%

Watched Threads