Wolfos
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Currently I'm trying to U-Turn my career away from oblivion at the moment so I'm going back to college as a mature student to do more A levels. At the moment I have a B in English Language and Literature, and my aim is to get a politics degree at university. Obviously Oxbridge would be the best but my GCSEs aren't great (4 A's, 4 B's and 2 C's) but if I did 3 A levels and got 3 A's I could be in with a chance.

So far I've toyed with the following A levels:

History
Economics

I'm not sure what to have as a 3rd, if I even need a 3rd. I thought about doing Maths (B at GCSE, might need to study up a bit for A level), but after browsing round the forum I noticed some people suggesting Philosophy and Ethics since Oxbridge recognise it as challenging in an academic context. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. (Again, mods please move if in the wrong section, I never know where to put these types of threads.)
alexandragazi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Politics A level? If they offer that at your college, or even something like Sociology.
Something like History would definitely be good, and even something like Psychology. There's a very broad range you could do.
Plonk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would say things like:

History
Politics
Economics
Sociology
Philosophy
French/German/Spanish

Personally, I'm taking the first four subjects I listed, and I'm also aiming for a Politics degree at a top university. Hope this helped you, OP.
Marisa_Grace
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'd say Latin is quite good. This year (yr12), we've been studying a speech by Cicero, and in the process have learnt lots about Roman politics.
Wolfos
Rep:
?
Thanks for the replies so far. Apparently a politics degree teaches you the subject from the basics, so there's not much point in doing it at A level if you want to do a degree in it. Bear in mind that I have to pay for these A levels since I'm over 19 and already have level 3 qualifications. I'm still not sure whether to do a 3rd since I already have a B in English, but if I went for something like Maths I could broaden my knowledge a bit, but doing 2 would save me a bit of money. Do Oxbridge like it if you've got something like Maths, or would a combination of History/Economics/Philosophy be better?
SuperPatchKid
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you want to go to oxford you'd be going for PPE, in which case maths would be pretty important.

I did maths, economics, politics and history- the latter 3 were definately a good combination if you're thinking about it
TheSmurfs
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ok so for your AS I would advise
English History Maths and a Language (politic isn't a requirement for a politics degree is it)
ad then drop maths... Maths is just a really good one to have =) (but I would say that)
Onyx.
Report 11 years ago
History
Maths
Economics
a language maybe?

I think these are all fitting subjects. There are others which would go well like Philosophy, Classics...etc. It's up to you.
Teaddict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I intend to take a politics degree and I studied:

Politics
World Development
Citizenship Studies (Politics and Law)
Wolfos
Rep:
?
Well, I think I'm going to choose Maths. Since I haven't really studied it since GCSE which was back in 2007 for me, I guess I should do some study on it over the summer to refresh my memory since A Level is quite a big step up, but I'm pretty willing to put the effort in considering how much this is all going to cost me. What kind of extra-curricular activities could I do relating to politics? The college faculty manager I spoke to today told me a few students did some work with the political parties for the general election, which has obviously passed but it caught my interest.
Muffinz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
History and English Lit. Essay topics would be ideal.
Sequin
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I got in for Politics with A Level politics, english lit, geography and english language.

As long as you choose a 'social science' and 2 more soild subjects and do well, you'll get stand a good chance of getting in, as there are no prerequisits for a Politics degree.
im so academic
Badges: 15
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Wolfos)
Currently I'm trying to U-Turn my career away from oblivion at the moment so I'm going back to college as a mature student to do more A levels. At the moment I have a B in English Language and Literature, and my aim is to get a politics degree at university. Obviously Oxbridge would be the best but my GCSEs aren't great (4 A's, 4 B's and 2 C's) but if I did 3 A levels and got 3 A's I could be in with a chance.

So far I've toyed with the following A levels:

History
Economics

I'm not sure what to have as a 3rd, if I even need a 3rd. I thought about doing Maths (B at GCSE, might need to study up a bit for A level), but after browsing round the forum I noticed some people suggesting Philosophy and Ethics since Oxbridge recognise it as challenging in an academic context. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. (Again, mods please move if in the wrong section, I never know where to put these types of threads.)
English Lit? :dontknow:

You do know you can't study Politics solely at Oxbridge, right?
TheMeister
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You don't even need a politics degree (or any degree for that matter) to get into Politics in real life, which I think is something that you're forgetting

Possible English lit/Politics/History/a Science/a Language
Acromida
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
-History
-Politics
-English Literature
-Latin/Classics
-A modern language
-Economics
-Maths

I would say you could pick any from the above list and it would be a good combination. As others have been saying, I agree that you do not need Politics A-level to study it at university.

If you are looking for a 3rd A-level to add to Politics and Economics, then I would say History would be a good subject to pick, or Maths.
Crazy Paving
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Economics, Politics, English Literature, History.
Mighty Moe
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Politics, History, English Literature, Economics, Mathematics, maybe a science such as Physics? (Obviously not all of these, just a selection - 3 or 4)
Wolfos
Rep:
?
For those suggesting English Lit: I already have a B in English Lang and Lit, which isn't quite the same, but it's close enough.

I never intended to pick Politics as an A level because the degree teaches you from the start anyway. I know the course at Oxford is called Politics, Philosophy and Ethics or something like that, which is why I toyed with the idea of adding Philosophy to my A level selection but I might do Maths to give me a bit of variety in my choices alongside History and Economics. What other universities apart from the obvious top 3 do good politics/humanities degrees? Again, thanks for all the replies.
folder
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
History
Economics
Maths
Philosophy or a language?
Mighty Moe
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Wolfos)
For those suggesting English Lit: I already have a B in English Lang and Lit, which isn't quite the same, but it's close enough.

I never intended to pick Politics as an A level because the degree teaches you from the start anyway. I know the course at Oxford is called Politics, Philosophy and Ethics or something like that, which is why I toyed with the idea of adding Philosophy to my A level selection but I might do Maths to give me a bit of variety in my choices alongside History and Economics. What other universities apart from the obvious top 3 do good politics/humanities degrees? Again, thanks for all the replies.

Ah, sorry I misread and thought you meant at GCSE.

PPE = Politics, Philosophy, Economics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads