And now for something completely different..... Watch

This discussion is closed.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Prostitution......legalize it?.......or not?

Anyone?
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)

Anyone?
Go away you fool!
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Legalise it and tax the income earned from it as per the income tax rates.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
Go away you fool!
Excuse me......just trying to start a debate.
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Anyone?
Prostitution has existed since civilisation began - you're not going to get rid of it.

By making it illegal you push it underground, putting people at risk. I say, legalise it.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If you legalise it, you can monitor it properly and thus stop prostitutes being assaulted/spread of STIs etc.

At the moment it is completely unmonitored and so neither prostitute nor 'client' knows quite what to expect.
emma_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Legalise it!

I went to visit the red light district with my family in Amsterdam (heheh) and it seemed super safe! Obviously unlike here! It's going to happen whether it is legal or not, so it might as well be done legally. Each girl has (well actually I saw one drag queen) a button in their room they can press if they are uncomfortable so the police can arrive straight away.

My Aunt is a writer, and when she was there before, she paid a prostitute to talk to her about what it was like for about 30 mins. Interesting stuff.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think legalise it- makes it much safer, there should be less risk of STIs and rape. I dunno whether it would reduce child prostitution as well as maybe clients would be more eager to go to a legal establishment... not sure.

i remember when the french were discussing legalising it, a group of prostitutes protested outside the government buildings and one had the banner 'you'll sleep with us, but you won't vote for us'... i thought it was quite amusing.

lou xxx
emma_
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
'you'll sleep with us, but you won't vote for us'... i thought it was quite amusing.

lou xxx

hehehehe yeps, interesting thing to know I didn't know they were thinking about legalising it over there.

I somehow couldn't imagine it legal over here. The red light district almost seemed romantic in Amsterdam with the pretty canals... Imagine some discusting seedy dirty place here.
Ditzy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I say legalise it, but it'll never happen, religious groups and that would be up in arms!
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ditzy blonde)
I say legalise it, but it'll never happen, religious groups and that would be up in arms!
I concur.
Albion
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ditzy blonde)
Yes I agree, although it would prevent a lot of harm and wrong-doing if it was legalised, I think many religious groups would strongly protest, yes. Kinda ironic isn't it? Religion is supposed to be a source of moral authority yet it is debatably more immoral to keep prostitution illegal as it puts the women in more danger from psychos and the like.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
Go away you fool!
exactly what i was thinking!
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Anyone?
Probably would be for the best legalising it. You wouldn't be breaking the law anymore then
Albion
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
Probably would be for the best legalising it. You wouldn't be breaking the law anymore then
Exactly, some laws create criminals simply for the sake of it.
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Albion)
Yes I agree, although it would prevent a lot of harm and wrong-doing if it was legalised, I think many religious groups would strongly protest, yes. Kinda ironic isn't it? Religion is supposed to be a source of moral authority yet it is debatably more immoral to keep prostitution illegal as it puts the women in more danger from psychos and the like.
yes. legalisation would be a good option, the police need to concentrate on cutting down the human trafficking involved in it. its so widespread and "popular" (heh heh many ppl wouldnt admit it tho) that for the safety of those involved then laws should protect them

however the flip side is the moral line, if the gov could legalise this then they are broacasting the message that prostitution is ok...which i doubt few would concur
zizero
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Legalise it!

I don't see why prostitution should be banned. If two consenting adults have sexual intercourse, the state has no right to interfere. The fact that one of the sexual partners pays the other does not change the basic fact.

It does not matter whether prostitution is 'moral' or not: The state has not business deciding for the individual citizen what is 'moral' and what is not.

No one is damaged by prostitution itself. The only damages one can think of are consequences of the illegallity of prostitution.

An action can only be illegal if it objectively has negative consequences for someone. Prostitution does not. In a free society, prostitution should be allowed.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by zizero)
Legalise it!

I don't see why prostitution should be banned. If two consenting adults have sexual intercourse, the state has no right to interfere. The fact that one of the sexual partners pays the other does not change the basic fact.

It does not matter whether prostitution is 'moral' or not: The state has not business deciding for the individual citizen what is 'moral' and what is not.

No one is damaged by prostitution itself. The only damages one can think of are consequences of the illegallity of prostitution.

An action can only be illegal if it objectively has negative consequences for someone. Prostitution does not. In a free society, prostitution should be allowed.
But once prostituition has been made legalised, what next?
zizero
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
But once prostituition has been made legalised, what next?
What do you mean, what next?

It would be just another business (obviously with some restrictions, e.g. as far the consumers' and the suppliers' ages are concerned).

Prostitutes would be normal taxpayer and there would a prostitutes' trade union etc. etc.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by zizero)
What do you mean, what next?

It would be just another business (obviously with some restrictions, e.g. as far the consumers' and the suppliers' ages are concerned).

Prostitutes would be normal taxpayer and there would a prostitutes' trade union etc. etc.
But where would respectable politicians go if the prostitutes' union decided to go on strike?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (147)
60.49%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.53%
No- I want it (68)
27.98%
No- I don't want it (17)
7%

Watched Threads