Turn on thread page Beta

Petrol Blockades watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharXlotte)
    :p:

I don't see how a blockade is going to help anything. If Britain stops selling and buying petrol, will that magically make oil reserves in New Orleans start up again, or make USA and China stop consuming so much oil?
    Exactly, look at what happened last time.

Oh, ok stop striking and we'll have talks...

*talks*

*keeps on talking*

*stilllllllll talking*

*oh forget it*

ReputationRep:
    Exactly.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    :p: ha ha !

ReputationRep:
    hopefully the trains will still run.
    Got some travelleling to do in the next week or so - although they'll have that much in the depots.

Without reading the entire thread, what's the problem there? The diagram shows that taxes are lower on fuel now than at any time in the last ten years?

ReputationRep:
    The UK economy doesn't need these idiots in my opinion. I show zero support for this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    Without reading the entire thread, what's the problem there? The diagram shows that taxes are lower on fuel now than at any time in the last ten years?
    Prices ^^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ynox)
    l1ncs- how is it the fault of the americans? Not all americans drive round in cars with 5000cc+ engines. Hell, in california emissions restrictions are on place on new cars iirc.

Personally i don't think protests will do one bit of ******* good. Last time it didn't. This time it won't. It just pisses people off.
    About 20% of the worlds oil use is from the USA.

As demand of oil exceeds supply the price will go up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remote)
    About 20% of the worlds oil use is from the USA.
    I don't think it's a co-incidence about 20% of world GDP is from the USA either :rolleyes:

It's easier to blame America though.

ReputationRep:
    i posted somthing on here, did some one del it,

i dont think it was offencive or anything. it was just a email thats going around at the mo, about this topic, thought u mite like to read...

(Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Prices ^^^
    Yes, but the first protests were about taxes, and the rising prices are surely more about the rising oil prices than anything else? Well, I don't know about all these things, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    Yes, but the first protests were about taxes, and the rising prices are surely more about the rising oil prices than anything else? Well, I don't know about all these things, anyway.
    Still, even if the "tax portion" has fallen, it's still incredibly high

ReputationRep:
    Whether this is true or not, these protests are undemocratic and illegal. They disconvenience thousands (probably millions), hamper the economy and disregard the negative externalities caused by petrol consumption.

blockades dont work. they only effect us, since we run outta fuel:

solution: dont byt from BP or Esso (the 2 largest fuel comapies). if no1 buys from them they have 2 choices: reduce proces or go bust. once they reduce prices, every1 else has to

ReputationRep:
    Interesting fact..... the reason that fuel tax as its shown has dropped is that now fuel is subject to VAT. 66.7% duty, plus another 17.5% vat........ :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkymonkey)
    Interesting fact..... the reason that fuel tax as its shown has dropped is that now fuel is subject to VAT. 66.7% duty, plus another 17.5% vat........ :mad:
    Have you got a source? Are you sure that VAT is not incorporated into the 66.7%. I very much doubt we are paying 84.2% tax on petrol, in fact, I'm adament we're not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KizD)
    Have you got a source? Are you sure that VAT is not incorporated into the 66.7%. I very much doubt we are paying 84.2% tax on petrol, in fact, I'm adament we're not.
    Hmm I was listening to a news broadcast about it earlier and they said 3/4 is tax

Oooo this is what my dissertation is on!

/end random comment...

ReputationRep:
    "Around three quarters of the cost of a litre of petrol goes to the Government in duty and tax. Prices have increased with the effects of Hurricane Katrina.

A Treasury spokesman said that working with the US government to restore oil production there in the wake of Hurricane Katrina was the most important factor in reducing current fuel costs.

The spokesman added: "It is worth noting that road fuel duty rates on the main types of petrol and diesel are lower now than they were six years ago, back in 1999, and since then, the main rates of road fuel duty have fallen nearly 12 per cent in real terms, saving the average motorist around six pence per litre every time they fill up."

The week-long protest five years ago was widely thought to have cost British business £1 billion."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorbidAngel)
    solution: dont byt from BP or Esso (the 2 largest fuel comapies). if no1 buys from them they have 2 choices: reduce proces or go bust. once they reduce prices, every1 else has to
    Nice idea, but, honestly, how many people are going to do that? It's been suggested for years, and has, predictably, always failed.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.