This discussion is closed.
JrW
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I am sure a lot of you are aware that all universities specify that there are NO desirable subjects for A-Level if you intend to study Law. However, although they do not say this I think there are a few subjects that are a very good base for Law. So...here goes: -

History and/or English (both are good because they are very analytical subjects - analysing is a very important factor in the Law profession)

Mathematics (maths is a very good subject because it is logically based - law and reasoning requires logical thinking)

French and/or German (they don't tell you this, but a language is almost definitely required - law is a very communative subject and when applying for training contracts you are much more likely to be offered a job if you speak one or two languages to a high standard)

Does anybody agree with? If not, which subjects would you choose preferably?
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jamierwilliams)
I am sure a lot of you are aware that all universities specify that there are NO desirable subjects for A-Level if you intend to study Law. However, although they do not say this I think there are a few subjects that are a very good base for Law. So...here goes: -

History and/or English (both are good because they are very analytical subjects - analysing is a very important factor in the Law profession)

Mathematics (maths is a very good subject because it is logically based - law and reasoning requires logical thinking)

French and/or German (they don't tell you this, but a language is almost definitely required - law is a very communative subject and when applying for training contracts you are much more likely to be offered a job if you speak one or two languages to a high standard)

They sound like a good selection to lead into law....and i initially regretted not having chosen an essay-based subject at A level cos i'm applying for law....

but having said that...i got an offe from cambridge...so maybe they don't really care if you don't do those kind of subjects...

G
JrW
Rep:
?
(Original post by gzftan)
They sound like a good selection to lead into law....and i initially regretted not having chosen an essay-based subject at A level cos i'm applying for law....

but having said that...i got an offe from cambridge...so maybe they don't really care if you don't do those kind of subjects...

G
what subjects did u do? well done on getting accepted!
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
what subjects did u do? well done on getting accepted!
Thank you...for AS-level...i did the sciences (bio,chem,phys) and maths....and i got 3As and a C (in chem). But i rejected the C so cambridge didn't find out...and i'm doing just bio, phys and maths for A2.

I think they make a decision heavily based on your interview...

G
tagzt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

history/english would be good because they are essay writing subjects and you write a lot of essays for law, but they are definetely not essential. as long as you have a good legal brain learning to structure essays is something you just pick up, so if you do all sciences at A-Level it might take you a little longer to get into the swing of things but its no disadvantage not doing a subject like history/english. however roman history is beneficial if you study law at oxford since one of the subjects is roman law which is based on the history of rome.

the mathematics thing i never thought of before but of the 8 people studying law in the first year at merton, i think 6 did maths a-level which may well prove your point. however im not so sure its because of the logic, maths is one of the toughest a-levels and a lot of bright people do it because they know it carries more weight than other a-levels, so its not surprising a lot of oxbridge students did maths.

the french/german thing doesnt really only apply to law, having a language is good for any profession.

id also add politics in there if you're studying law at oxford because constitutional law is essentially just a study of politics.
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Studying politics is what got me interested in Law.. but if I was to go back and choose again I would probably also choose a language.

By the way- languages are unlikley to help you if your aiming to become a Barrister in England and Wales because you can only practise in those countries.. (unless you are willing to study for a few more years in a different country)
JrW
Rep:
?
(Original post by tagzt)
history/english would be good because they are essay writing subjects and you write a lot of essays for law, but they are definetely not essential. as long as you have a good legal brain learning to structure essays is something you just pick up, so if you do all sciences at A-Level it might take you a little longer to get into the swing of things but its no disadvantage not doing a subject like history/english. however roman history is beneficial if you study law at oxford since one of the subjects is roman law which is based on the history of rome.

the mathematics thing i never thought of before but of the 8 people studying law in the first year at merton, i think 6 did maths a-level which may well prove your point. however im not so sure its because of the logic, maths is one of the toughest a-levels and a lot of bright people do it because they know it carries more weight than other a-levels, so its not surprising a lot of oxbridge students did maths.

the french/german thing doesnt really only apply to law, having a language is good for any profession.

id also add politics in there if you're studying law at oxford because constitutional law is essentially just a study of politics.
thanks..that was really helpful

i definitely want 2 do maths, probably 2 languages but i cant choose between history or politics. what would you suggest?
tagzt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
thanks..that was really helpful

i definitely want 2 do maths, probably 2 languages but i cant choose between history or politics. what would you suggest?
pick whichever you enjoy the most, in terms of direct benefit to when you start studying law politics will be the most useful. however if you enjoy history then go for that, it won't make much difference...i did Maths, Physics, IT an Eng Lit.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
History A Level is generally more respected than politics. Its supposed to be one of the hardest A levels though.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
LBF
Report 16 years ago
I did History, ICT, Economics and took law as an AS but dropped it cos the teacher was crap and it turned out she wasnt even qualified to teach us!!!!!
I wish id have done a language, i was good at French at GCSE but had a poor teacher so i didnt carry it on.
I think the ICT is helpful, everything has to be word processed lol!
Economics for law is good as it gets you into current affairs and reading the tabloids more, and i also agree with the history giving you more of an analytical mind.
Anyways, i mite be wrong as i wasnt accepted to cambridge but put in the, TEDIOUS, pool.
JrW
Rep:
?
I think I like my original choice of Maths, History/English, German and French. However i dont know what to choose between English and History

Jamie
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My friend does Maths, Economics and Law. This alright?
KaiserSoze
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I do law at Cambridge and did History, Maths and Sciences at A-Level. Definitely reccommend history over politics as the essays in law are very similar in style to those done in A2 History. Suspect languages are useful, but not essential (a C at GCSE French was as far as I got in foreign languages!)
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Maths? Really? In maths, there is no room for debate - it's either right or wrong, and wouldn't lawyers have to argue more about what the "answer" to a crime is?
SugarPlum
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've chosen History, Eng Lit, Biology and French for AS/A level, and I'm hoping to study law at uni (preferably Oxbridge but we shall see) too. Do you think these are suitable subject choices?
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think I like my original choice of Maths, History/English, German and French. However i dont know what to choose between English and History

Jamie
Personally I think you should do History, English Literature, Maths and French. Simply, because French is a prettier language and generally more useful for law...and you could your last year of your degree in France...!! I seem to always think that German is more of a scientific language maybe because of its mechanical grammar structure. I really didn’t like it, so I dropped it.

If you really wanted to take two languages than do History … History is good because it teaches you to be selective with your information and not to gibber off the point. I also find there is a lot of politics involved in History and is great for general knowledge and putting contemporary issues into perspective.

I’m also thinking of doing law or politics and economics. And I’ve decided to do Maths, Economics, History, and Physics or Art and Arabic (As only) …I really can’t decided…I would have done politics as a 4th a-level but they don’t offer it at my school. I could go crazy and take French as my fourth a-level…. I haven’t finalised my decision yet…I think it may depend on my GCSE results. If I had the chance of doing the IB … I would go for it…but I cant seem to find any schools in London that do it…

Hhhhmm…Physics Art or French?...at the moment I’m most favourable towards Physics.

If you really can’t decide wait for your GCSE results and pick the one you did better on.
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
your selection sounds good, one of my friends did history french and chemistry
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
If I had the chance of doing the IB … I would go for it…but I cant seem to find any schools in London that do it…
Sevenoaks.
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I did incredibly weird subjects then!

History, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths, English Literature and Physics!

I got As for all of them at AS but didn't want to apply for Law at Cambridge. It was not my cup of tea.
tagzt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Maths? Really? In maths, there is no room for debate - it's either right or wrong, and wouldn't lawyers have to argue more about what the "answer" to a crime is?
well it's not so much about the skills you learn in maths at a-level, its more about the fact that maths is one of (if not the) hardest a-level because you can't revise parrot fashion for it...you can revise all the formulae and memorise them but you must be able to apply them as well. thats why you will find that the brightest people in each year group usually do maths and the people who get the best overall grades at a level have also done maths e.g. at my school of the 7/8 people who got at least 3A's at a-level 6 did maths. since law is an intellectualy challenging subject, and the people who get into the top law schools have near enough straight A's its not that surprising a lot of them did MAths Level. that doesn't make it necessary though.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads