The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
yes i can go without sex for more than 5 months. i havent had sex in 18 years and im almost 19. i want to kep my virginity until i get married.

i dont think sex education is taught well in this country, instead of discouraging teenagers the teachers encourage them by telling them what sort of contraceptives they could use etc.

if teenagers were taught and encouraged not to have sex like how they do on the discovery channel then we will hae less teenage pregnacies mainly because of abstinance
Reply 141
andyj72
yes i can go without sex for more than 5 months. i havent had sex in 18 years and im almost 19. i want to kep my virginity until i get married.

i dont think sex education is taught well in this country, instead of discouraging teenagers the teachers encourage them by telling them what sort of contraceptives they could use etc.

if teenagers were taught and encouraged not to have sex like how they do on the discovery channel then we will hae less teenage pregnacies mainly because of abstinance

Well, no I reckon teaching teens about types of contraception is cool. C'mon some of them are gonna do it anyway - they might as well know how to do it safely! And with anything, you need understanding. You can't say sex before/after marriage if you don't understand the causes, consequences and its effects. While the encouragement in having sex isn't exactly helpful, you need the explanation of what it is etc etc. And while we can sit here and say sex before marriage is wrong, tbh until you're in it you can't know how hard or easy it is to just sleep with someone in a relationship. Although if it's just a fling then I can't see why people would do that.
Reply 142
andyj72

I really admire guys who are virgins. GOOD FOR YOU VIRGIN!!

I am actually a virgin too (others things don't count right eh). I plan on losing it to a guy I really absolutely love and know extremely well. I also want to lose myself to a virgin because it makes it more memorable for the both of us.
I saw the show and found it to be something of an eye-opener. I was disgusted at how many of them had lost their virginity when drunk and at "a house party" or whatever.

Out of the 12 teenagers I liked the Christian virgin guy best, he was sensible and civilised, which is more than can be said for pretty much all the others. I found Wesley/"Wince" to be utterly awful, I can't believe he got arrested just before they were about to leave for America - what a cretin.

One of the things I found most incredible was the American church service they went to - I'm not surprised three of them just got up and walked out, I'd have done the same!

EDIT: Oh, and my bf and I both agreed that we thought it was wrong to equate being a virgin until marriage with being Christian. You don't have to be religious to want to save sex for marriage, or at least not to act in the slutty way those teenagers were.
SlyPie
I plan on losing it to a guy I really absolutely love and know extremely well. I also want to lose myself to a virgin because it makes it more memorable for the both of us.

So if you find someone and fall in love with them, and get into a deep, committed relationship, but he's not a virgin, that would be a problem for you?
Reply 145
scarlet ibis
So if you find someone and fall in love with them, and get into a deep, committed relationship, but he's not a virgin, that would be a problem for you?

Well, I was going to put "either a virgin or really experienced" haha..but no.

I mean, as long as he's not dirty I guess....

Although I'd prefer him to be a virgin.
SlyPie
Well, I was going to put "either a virgin or really experienced" haha..but no.

I mean, as long as he's not dirty I guess....

Although I'd prefer him to be a virgin.

i see. i understand what you mean. i was my bf's second, and he was my first. It was still very special, cos his first experience wasn't that great. But i think that your first time with someone is always special, no matter what experience you've both had.
scarlet ibis
i see. i understand what you mean. i was my bf's second, and he was my first. It was still very special, cos his first experience wasn't that great. But i think that your first time with someone is always special, no matter what experience you've both had.

:dito:
irisng
Well, no I reckon teaching teens about types of contraception is cool. C'mon some of them are gonna do it anyway - they might as well know how to do it safely!

Why not teach teens about drugs to and how to use properly because some are going to do it anyway. I think this Way of thinking is wrong. And do you use this for all situations. In some cases ignorance is the best thing.

What should be taught is more about long term loving relationships and not just casual sex.

You only need to check some of the thread responses and see the word sex is used instead of loving. That say's it all.
I just want to say that as an American there is a big diversity of views of sex in the country. Please don't take that show to mean all Americans are like that. I don't know where exactly they went, but it was clearly some very conservative place.
I am from New Jersey and live 40 min from Manhattan, there was no one doing the silver ring or abstinence only education in my area. My sex ed was very comprehensive and detailed. My brother went to a different school but his was just as good as mine.

I think people need to take a much more liberal attitude to sex. Most of you on this site are quite young! Many of you who say you will wait for marriage probably won't--no offense. I had "christian" friends in high school who said they were waiting and most of them have lost it by now.

I think people attach too much importance to sex. It is dangerous to tie you sense of self as a sexual being to one person. Even if you wait until marriage, your spouse can cheat on you, mistreat you, be abusive, be addicted to drugs/alcohol, or just be disrespectful. If you have wrapped up in your mind that "I have given my VIRGINITY to this person" and they betray you, you will be messed up. I think everyone should take control of their own sexuality, so that they are not affixing this magical quality to virginity.
That is not to say you should lose it at the age of 15 when you're drunk. But I think ppl need to be realistic--there are NO guarantees that the person you give your body too will respect it, marriage or not.
Reply 150
shady lane
I just want to say that as an American there is a big diversity of views of sex in the country. Please don't take that show to mean all Americans are like that. I don't know where exactly they went, but it was clearly some very conservative place.
I am from New Jersey and live 40 min from Manhattan, there was no one doing the silver ring or abstinence only education in my area. My sex ed was very comprehensive and detailed. My brother went to a different school but his was just as good as mine.

I think people need to take a much more liberal attitude to sex. Most of you on this site are quite young! Many of you who say you will wait for marriage probably won't--no offense. I had "christian" friends in high school who said they were waiting and most of them have lost it by now.

I think people attach too much importance to sex. It is dangerous to tie you sense of self as a sexual being to one person. Even if you wait until marriage, your spouse can cheat on you, mistreat you, be abusive, be addicted to drugs/alcohol, or just be disrespectful. If you have wrapped up in your mind that "I have given my VIRGINITY to this person" and they betray you, you will be messed up. I think everyone should take control of their own sexuality, so that they are not affixing this magical quality to virginity.
That is not to say you should lose it at the age of 15 when you're drunk. But I think ppl need to be realistic--there are NO guarantees that the person you give your body too will respect it, marriage or not.

Bravo to that
Reply 151
litigation
Why not teach teens about drugs to and how to use properly because some are going to do it anyway. I think this Way of thinking is wrong. And do you use this for all situations. In some cases ignorance is the best thing.

What should be taught is more about long term loving relationships and not just casual sex.

You only need to check some of the thread responses and see the word sex is used instead of loving. That say's it all.

I was taught about drugs and how they are used, as well as contraception.
Yet I'm still civilised and although I may engage in sex before marriage (though as I'm not religious I don't think I should get married anyway) it doesn't make me a bad person. And as I was taught about contraception I'm not going to be a teenage mother or have a positive result on a STD test.

Would you rather teenage pregnancy, possible abortions, higher rates of STD's etc OR people having sex when they want...safely.

Back to the topic, it scared me how many said they had lost their virginity while drunk...or at 12. I wasn't even aware I was attracted to other people when I was 12! It makes me sad to think that they don't have much self respect...'it was like in the toilet..we yunno just did it like'

While it's a frightening trend that needs to be addressed I really don't think taking the kids to America was a good idea, it is a different country with different morals and values. Not really something that can be useful when they come back. And the religious service...it was a bit too much, thrown in at the deep end! I would have walked out, I don't like people preaching at me.
Reply 152
litigation

I don't think you can exactly use drugs "safely"!

Oh yeh, for sure, if there's more taught on long, loving relationships, that would be great! Although I don't see a problem with teaching about contraception. I dunno - any way of raising young people's awareness would be good - I think we lack the teaching on the consequences of sex and the effects of it, and not just the physical and the getting pregnant bit - I mean the emotional side involved.

I don't plan on having sex til after marriage anyway. A relationship is more than sex - if there's a guy who wants to be with me but requires sex or he's leaving - then he can go right on ahead and leave. Guys like that aren't worth it.
Reply 153
Luize
Would you rather teenage pregnancy, possible abortions, higher rates of STD's etc OR people having sex when they want...safely.

Well, I think that person you quoted may have been on about like, if we don't teach contraception and say loads of people DID get into that sorta trouble, as you stated above - then pretty soon people will learn their lesson and the trend will/might decline. Thing is, too often people don't have to take the consequences for their own actions nowadays - although of course then there's the controversy of not supporting the people involved, like a baby, or something.

I suppose society simply is not perfect.
shellyanne
5 months :eek: OMFG well first things aint gonna end with my boyf and second if they did id just find someone else to have sex with! 5 months, thats a joke, right?

so it means you'd settle for someone just so you can have sex? That's a bit of a shame...

and Sweetness, not sure that the whole "have to make mistakes to learn" theory is true. It's a bit silly to make the mistakes, lose something (not necessarily your virginity) only to realise what you've lost... there's something irreversible that you can't have back. No matter how much people would love for it be untrue, once you've had sex with a randomer or someone who was seriously the wrong person, there's something you've lost: a way of seeing sex that changes completely. Some people are fine with seeing sex as just sex, no emotions and are fine with their partners seeing it that way. Others aren't...
Reply 155
SamTheMan
so it means you'd settle for someone just so you can have sex? That's a bit of a shame...

and Sweetness, not sure that the whole "have to make mistakes to learn" theory is true. It's a bit silly to make the mistakes, lose something (not necessarily your virginity) only to realise what you've lost... there's something irreversible that you can't have back. No matter how much people would love for it be untrue, once you've had sex with a randomer or someone who was seriously the wrong person, there's something you've lost: a way of seeing sex that changes completely. Some people are fine with seeing sex as just sex, no emotions and are fine with their partners seeing it that way. Others aren't...

Well said.

Sadly, I really do wish it could be true that there's nothing irreversibly lost :redface: even sadder when I'm not entirely sure what I lost, but ah well, about time I got over it.
Reply 156
shady lane
I just want to say that as an American there is a big diversity of views of sex in the country. Please don't take that show to mean all Americans are like that. I don't know where exactly they went, but it was clearly some very conservative place..

Its a shame this has to be pointed out isnt it. Although Im sure many were unsurprised that the BBC happened to fall upon this particular idea.
irisng
Well said.

Sadly, I really do wish it could be true that there's nothing irreversibly lost :redface: even sadder when I'm not entirely sure what I lost, but ah well, about time I got over it.

got over what? :confused: I'm very repetitive with this idea (only because that's what all my wisdom and experience has brought me :rolleyes: ) but there always are consequences. A person after they've had sex with a lot of random people isn't the same person who's had sex only with very long-term partners. That's why girls/guys who lose their virginity to a randomer continue the trend: you learn that sex is emotionless. I'm not saying you can't meet someone special (even though it might be a bit more difficult) after a "rough" past but physical intimacy is physical intimacy. Sure there's no string attached animal sex and emotional sex but the difference isn't that huge. The physical intimacy and what you're sharing is the same.

Try and tell a guy about some previous partner "We didn't have emotional sex, we just had animal sex". That's the last thing that will reassure a guy. It's all intertwined.
Reply 158
Vienna
Its a shame this has to be pointed out isnt it. Although Im sure many were unsurprised that the BBC happened to fall upon this particular idea.

Actually America has a higher teenage pregnancy rate than the UK--which has the highest in Europe, or at least Western Europe.

So yeah....
Reply 159
SamTheMan
got over what? :confused: I'm very repetitive with this idea (only because that's what all my wisdom and experience has brought me :rolleyes: ) but there always are consequences. A person after they've had sex with a lot of random people isn't the same person who's had sex only with very long-term partners. That's why girls/guys who lose their virginity to a randomer continue the trend: you learn that sex is emotionless. I'm not saying you can't meet someone special (even though it might be a bit more difficult) after a "rough" past but physical intimacy is physical intimacy. Sure there's no string attached animal sex and emotional sex but the difference isn't that huge. The physical intimacy and what you're sharing is the same.

Try and tell a guy about some previous partner "We didn't have emotional sex, we just had animal sex". That's the last thing that will reassure a guy. It's all intertwined.

More losing my heart than anything else. Time to get over my ex, 100% that's all. I must be something like 95% over him now but still, there's still something that seems to attach me to him, but not the other way round. I was naive enough to give away my heart too quickly - now, lesson learnt and price paid, I suppose. It still hurts sometimes, that's all.

Latest

Trending

Trending