This discussion is closed.
JrW
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I am sure a lot of you are aware that all universities specify that there are NO desirable subjects for A-Level if you intend to study Law. However, although they do not say this I think there are a few subjects that are a very good base for Law. So...here goes: -

History and/or English (both are good because they are very analytical subjects - analysing is a very important factor in the Law profession)

Mathematics
(maths is a very good subject because it is logically based - law and reasoning requires logical thinking)

French and/or German (they don't tell you this, but a language is almost definitely required - law is a very communative subject and when applying for training contracts you are much more likely to be offered a job if you speak one or two languages to a high standard)

Does anybody agree with? If not, which subjects would you choose preferably?
Me2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
thats good! as i'm planning on doing history, english lit & lang, maths and geography (probably drop one of these after AS)

as well as french AS level
nero076
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Definately agree with English or History, both good subjects for analysing/reasoning skills but at the same time have a more fun, creative side to them.

A second language is not essential, but its probably useful - this is the case for a lot of jobs though.

One glaring omission to your "useful subjects for law" list is ...law? Surely some experience of law is a good thing before doing a degree in a subject. I do law at the moment (don't like it all, by the way) and all my law teachers are certain that the advice some careers advisors give that unis dont like law applicants to have Alevel law is a total myth. Furthermore, studying law at Alevel will help you decide whether law is the subject for you. You don't want to end up in university doing a subject you dont enjoy when studying it at alevel would have made you realise it wasnt for you.

MY LIST:
law
history
english
(critical thinking if you're school does it, but don't bother with exams, just read handouts, some of them are interesting)
and one more in whatever you'll enjoy
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by nero076)
Definately agree with English or History, both good subjects for analysing/reasoning skills but at the same time have a more fun, creative side to them.

A second language is not essential, but its probably useful - this is the case for a lot of jobs though.

One glaring omission to your "useful subjects for law" list is ...law? Surely some experience of law is a good thing before doing a degree in a subject. I do law at the moment (don't like it all, by the way) and all my law teachers are certain that the advice some careers advisors give that unis dont like law applicants to have Alevel law is a total myth. Furthermore, studying law at Alevel will help you decide whether law is the subject for you. You don't want to end up in university doing a subject you dont enjoy when studying it at alevel would have made you realise it wasnt for you.

MY LIST:
law
history
english
(critical thinking if you're school does it, but don't bother with exams, just read handouts, some of them are interesting)
and one more in whatever you'll enjoy
However, most of the best universities dont particularly favour students who have taken on law, partly due to the fact that they want 'a fresh student'.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (220)
68.11%
No (103)
31.89%

Watched Threads