Chess Is A Sexist/Misogynist Game Watch

This discussion is closed.
Ray_Han
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
OR you could get three knights and do the three knights checkmate...
Unknown?
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by ipulledhermione)
:facepalm:

read my edit
Just noticed. Tushay.
MelonFace
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Unknown?)
So I was just playing chess and if those of you who don't know the rules if you get a pawn to the other side of the board then you can promote it to a higher piece, which usually players choose a queen as its the most powerful piece so the move is called "queening" but this means that you can have more than 1 queen on the field at the same time. I for example had 3 queens on the board at the same time. But this means in a sense if you take the pieces meaning literally which I believe you do as you start with only 1 queen and 1 king that the king is then married to multiple women. Which seems rather misogynist to me as it devalues women in a sense like its saying its acceptable for men to have relationships with multiple women and he lets the women do all the work for him as the queen pretty much is the most powerful piece. Does anyone else think this as well? Chess is an old game so I'm not suprised that sexist themes from the past are subtly in it. :woo:
You could conceivably turn all of your pawns into knights.

Oh Noes! Chess has a horse fetish! The king has MORE THAN ONE HORSE.

IS THIS BESTIALITY?

SHOULDN'T HE BE SHARING THEM WITH THE PROLETARIAT MASSES?

Point Made.

Furthermore, the Queen is the Matriarch of the board. The most powerful piece. This is sexist how?
Unknown?
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lollyage)
I actually thought it's the other way round since the queen is the most powerful piece on the board and the king is far more restrained and needs to be protected :p:
It could also be a way of saying that the man lets the women and his men do all the work but he's still in charge.:o:
Unknown?
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ray_Han)
But the King isn't married to any of his other pieces is he.
qgujxj39
Badges: 15
Report 9 years ago
implying that a game in which the most powerful piece is female is misogynist
miranda-ae
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
Uh, I was under the impression that queening allowed you to return a taken queen to the board, not 'turn it into a queen'. I'm pretty sure that's checkers.
CHECKMATE.
Elementric
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So I was just playing chess and if those of you who don't know the rules if you get a pawn to the other side of the board then you can promote it to a higher piece, which usually players choose a queen as its the most powerful piece so the move is called "queening" but this means that you can have more than 1 queen on the field at the same time. I for example had 3 queens on the board at the same time. But this means in a sense if you take the pieces meaning literally which I believe you do as you start with only 1 queen and 1 king that the king is then married to multiple women. Which seems rather misogynist to me as it devalues women in a sense like its saying its acceptable for men to have relationships with multiple women and he lets the women do all the work for him as the queen pretty much is the most powerful piece. Does anyone else think this as well? Chess is an old game so I'm not suprised that sexist themes from the past are subtly in it. :woo:
Nice troll. Don't you think the fact that the Queen is vastly more powerful than the King is also sexist? ***wit.
MelonFace
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ray_Han)
If the opponent allows you to get three knights then he deserves to be checkmated. And is probably eating the chess pieces anyway.
Unknown?
Rep:
?
(Original post by Elementric)
Nice troll. Don't you think the fact that the Queen is vastly more powerful than the King is also sexist? ***wit.
It could be but the queen has to protect the king and has to do all of the man's work.
.:Doctor:.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:doctor: :fuhrer:
C.Davy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rananagirl)
Overanalysis fail. :facepalm2:
You madam, win my internets.
ipulledhermione
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just noticed. Tushay.
humpphhh

sorry for over reacting :p:
Piprod01
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Whites go first.
Nelo Angelo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There are bishops on the board, this game must also be offensive to non-christian religions as ther is no rabbi etc
SirMasterKey
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Your right it is sexist, you can't have more than one king!
Lollyage
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It could also be a way of saying that the man lets the women and his men do all the work but he's still in charge.:o:
Touche :cool:
andy786
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Chess was invented in India a long time back very prejudices were present...
Enjoy the game...
Chocothunder
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
GTFO. Right now. Seriously.
S-man10
Badges: 18
Report 9 years ago
Nahh fail. Its just a board game.

You can name any piece however you like... if you like to that is...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (122)
19.55%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (58)
9.29%
No I am happy with my course choice (352)
56.41%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (92)
14.74%

Watched Threads