Chess Is A Sexist/Misogynist Game Watch

This discussion is closed.
AntiMonarchist
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
How can you return a queen to the game, if the queen is already in the game?
There's only one queen piece you know, even without the failing to understand the rules of chess you were a pretty poor troll
Unknown?
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by S-man10)
Nahh fail. Its just a board game.

You can name any piece however you like... if you like to that is...
The pieces are known by their given names all around the world. The queen is the queen and the king is the king. Sure they could have called the queen the general instead and then the promotion of a pawn would not seem misogynst but people instead choose to call it the queen which shows that sexist views in society have found its way into the game.
HumanNature1992
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
orrr it shows that women are better multitaskers as they can move futher and in different directions than the king
Complex Simplicity
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Unknown?)
So I was just playing chess and if those of you who don't know the rules if you get a pawn to the other side of the board then you can promote it to a higher piece, which usually players choose a queen as its the most powerful piece so the move is called "queening" but this means that you can have more than 1 queen on the field at the same time. I for example had 3 queens on the board at the same time. But this means in a sense if you take the pieces meaning literally which I believe you do as you start with only 1 queen and 1 king that the king is then married to multiple women. Which seems rather misogynist to me as it devalues women in a sense like its saying its acceptable for men to have relationships with multiple women and he lets the women do all the work for him as the queen pretty much is the most powerful piece. Does anyone else think this as well? Chess is an old game so I'm not suprised that sexist themes from the past are subtly in it. :woo:
If anything chess is racist not sexist what with the 'white' pieces getting to go first.
S-man10
Badges: 18
Report 9 years ago
The pieces are known by their given names all around the world. The queen is the queen and the king is the king. Sure they could have called the queen the general instead and then the promotion of a pawn would not seem misogynst but people instead choose to call it the queen which shows that sexist views in society have found its way into the game.

Do I look like I care?

They could call it a penis for all I care.
Unknown?
Rep:
?
(Original post by AntiMonarchist)
How can you return a queen to the game, if the queen is already in the game?
There's only one queen piece you know, even without the failing to understand the rules of chess you were a pretty poor troll
I can't be bothered explaining the rules again to someone else who doesn't know. Just read some of the earlier posts. :facepalm2:
Unknown?
Rep:
?
(Original post by S-man10)
Do I look like I care?

They could call it a penis for all I care.
You've completely just ignored the point I was making. :facepalm2:
69Crazyfists
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wow. So much overanalysis.
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Please tell me you won the game where you managed to get three queens! Your oponent must have been in primary school :facepalm2:
Bella Occhi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
But the queen does all the work while the king stays there... surely a role reversal
Unknown?
Rep:
?
Also people here are saying that chess is racist because the player controlling the white pieces gets go first. If you want to discuss this too then I don't really mind but one side has to move first and there was a 50:50 chance they could have choosen either white or black and they chose white. If they decided blacks move first would that also be racist then? But they could have called the queen a number of different things such as general or prince etc but calling it queen and then being able to have multiple queens has misogynist undertones.

This has been edited into my OP.
Jaggers
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
Chess is centuries old. It is a war game, and pieces are so named to reflect their power and status in the game. So even if it was originally sexist, to say that it 'is' is just stupid, as queens can be sacrificed although it will significantly weaken a force, but if a king goes it's all over. This is representative of life as it was then, not our attitudes now. Maybe a bit of deeper understanding is needed.
Unknown?
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bella Occhi)
But the queen does all the work while the king stays there... surely a role reversal
Yes that does seem like a role reversal but being the "king" he should be in charge but the whole game is aimed at protecting him so in a sense he is the most important piece though not the most powerful and the queen, ie the woman has to do all the work of protecting him.
Bella Occhi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes that does seem like a role reversal but being the "king" he should be in charge but the whole game is aimed at protecting him so in a sense he is the most important piece though not the most powerful and the queen, ie the woman has to do all the work of protecting him.
True, true. Does this make the bishop his *****?
sango
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Urgh get over it you over-analysing *****!

20 points from Slytherin! :mad:
Unknown?
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bella Occhi)
True, true. Does this make the bishop his *****?
Pretty much. All Chess pieces are given a certain value excluding the king who you have to protect. The bishop and knight have valye equal to 3 pawns, the rook is worth 5 pawns and the queen is worth 9.
Unknown?
Rep:
?
(Original post by paddy__power)
Please tell me you won the game where you managed to get three queens! Your oponent must have been in primary school :facepalm2:
Yes I won, it was near the end of the game I had taken all of my oponent's other pieces except for the king and then just surrounded him with my queens from all directions. :p:
cardsonthetable
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Playing chess with a hot girl is so sexy. All those long silences and intense eye contact. It's tremendous foreplay!
Remarqable M
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
looooooooooolz it's just a game:facepalm:
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes I won, it was near the end of the game I had taken all of my oponent's other pieces except for the king and then just surrounded him with my queens from all directions. :p:
If it took more than 20 moves it should have been a draw :holmes: :p:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (153)
17.83%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.74%
No I am happy with my course choice (506)
58.97%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (124)
14.45%

Watched Threads