Visiting home Watch

This discussion is closed.
kpg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
My brother seemed to come home for the weekend virtually every fortnight and my parents want me to do something similar but every week for the first few months. But I'm not so keen personally . How often do most people go back home for the weekend or do most just usually wait till the holidays?
Tarts_n_Vicars
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
In my experience at first the ones who don't live that far from home usually go every weekend - that wears off soon enough when you make friends to party with on weekends! Other than that it's just vacations or special occasion (grannies b'day etc).

I'll be living 8 hours drive from home and don't plan on coming back at all......'cept maybe for a couple of days at Xmas
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you go home too soon you risk missing out on fun things and thus not having as much chance to make new friends and fit in.

Most people only went home once or twice a term, and that was mainly for special occasions. If you live closer you can go more often though.
chriswhit
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yeah. I'd agree that every week seems a bit frequent unless there are particular reasons? You are right not to be keen i'd say. I went home about once a month at Warwick. Maybe they are finding it hard that you are going away and you need to have a gentle chat about needing to spread your own wings but still loving them as much etc? Find out why they are suggesting coming home as much first though i'd say
kpg
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
They are very protective of me it must be said and once I'm gone it'll be just the two of them in the house Ah well, I'll be home once I get bored of pasta and beans on toast
InterCity125
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Used to go every few weeks in the first term an less in the second and only once in the third.
I'll be going quite a bit next term, though.
As well as adding to BT's profits on the phones I'm now subsidising the trains at £27 a trip!
Beekeeper
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Uhm, other than birthdays or special events I don't intend coming home all that often.

I'll see them at xmas, easter and summer anyway...
chriswhit
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
They are very protective of me it must be said and once I'm gone it'll be just the two of them in the house Ah well, I'll be home once I get bored of pasta and beans on toast
Sounds familiar just reassure them that you know what you are doing and won't forget them. Its also very true that absence makes the heart grow fonder..i'm a lot more glad of a spell at home after a period away
addict
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Dont go home for the first few months. You both need to cut the cord. If you go home too much they might continue thinking they have control over you.
Carreh
Badges: 2
Report 13 years ago
Eeek i only go home about once every 3 months *slaps wrist for being a bad daughter*
qwerty_st/n
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i only go home in the hols like every 3-4 months, got very homesick when i first moved to manc doesnt bother me so much now,
i find it really boring when i go home and all my friends that i grew up wiv that didnt go to uni have all changed so much, or maybe its me, but we dont have that *thing* that we used to have as mates, there usually all at work so i hardly go out at all. plus they all take the piss out if me for havin developed a manc accent and tell me that im a foreigner and sound like a [email protected] (so called mates eh! :mad: )
lmclaney
Report 13 years ago
I wont b goin home untill the holidays - it not always pratical 2 keep on goin home. Also yeah u mite miss out on things. If u dont wana go home then dont - no1 can force u 2.
pikaboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I was a 5 hour coach journey away from home so I only went once a term...but I saw my boyfriend a few more times than that I wouldn't recommend you going home every weekend, or at all for the first month or so. You need to settle in and enjoy the social side in the time away from lectures.
CW Esq
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Just go home once a term to collect a cheque. I am looking forward to being away!
sophieliz
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I am really beginning to wish I had opted for a uni closer to home (Notts is a 4/5 hour car rise), and I would have to take the train to come home-£40. However, I think once I get there I will settle in and probably be quite glad that I made the break. *I'll miss home tho*
cherryade
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
my friend came home every week for the ENTIRE YEAR bar 3 weekends. tbh i dont know how she made friends.
yeh try really hard not to go home for about a month...thats what im intending to do. hopefulyl ull be having lots of fun and be too busy to anyway!
im an only child too so i think the parents will miss having me around (hope they do anyway!!) so ill make the effort every month or so i reckon. (or when i need decent food/money etc )
medic_rules
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I go to Uni 200 miles from home, I go home once each term and parents come to see me once. It's 8 hours by coach and 4 hours by train and 4 hours by car for parents, that's each way soooooo that why I don't go home much
CW Esq
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My parents are counting down the days until I leave; literally.
PhoenixSTL
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ach, don't worry, my dad's planning on me doing the same thing. He's made my other two sisters come home practically every weekend, and he's planning on visiting me at uni once or twice a week...

just going to have to grin and bear it...I know my dad lightens up a bit in the second year at least...
sahsum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by PhoenixSTL)
ach, don't worry, my dad's planning on me doing the same thing. He's made my other two sisters come home practically every weekend, and he's planning on visiting me at uni once or twice a week...

just going to have to grin and bear it...I know my dad lightens up a bit in the second year at least...
soudns abit OTT, how far from home is ur uni? once or twice a week seems extreme!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (273)
27.25%
No (729)
72.75%

Watched Threads