Black Ambition: Cambridge BBC2 Watch

This discussion is closed.
icarusgideon
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
Shocking stat in yesterday's Cherwell -

How many black students across the country got 3A's in 2002?

In which case the numbers of black students in Oxbridge are about right, and highlights that the problem of black underachievement should be sorted in the classroom and not at uni.
I just cant take in those stats! The thing is not only that......I just refuse to believe them. I dont mean to discredit your argument, but I should really like to see that source (if its on net, please provide webpage)

thanks
J.S.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by icarusgideon)
I just cant take in those stats! The thing is not only that......I just refuse to believe them. I dont mean to discredit your argument, but I should really like to see that source (if its on net, please provide webpage)

thanks
Yes, same here. If true, it's incredible, depressing almost. Particularly so when you consider how well other minorities have done. For instance, I could probably name 37 Indians with straight A's off the top of my head! Regardless of whether that particular figure is exact, the cause for concern is there. Something needs to be done, but any initiative at the school level is likely to prove very expensive. Which is probably why people are constantly looking at short term, well packaged solutions, i.e. 'positive discrimination'. However, for any community to have a long term based initiative in their favour, it would need a considerable degree of lobbying through its community leaders. I guess it's a vicious cycle, if you have success in education, you are able to utilise such avenues to influence governmental policy, this in turn increases the likelihood of success for that particular group. The reverse is also true.
*dave*
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The education system needs to look at black underachievement and anti-social behaviour as a part of society. Its all those records by Dr Dre. going '[email protected] the police' thats doing all the damage, and So Solid Crew etc...
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by *dave*)
Its all those records by Dr Dre. going '[email protected] the police' thats doing all the damage, and So Solid Crew etc...
I don't think so.
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
Black, St Edmunds...
You don't happen to be a real huge black guy with a real nack for playing some sport or another (probably rugby)..?
St Edmunds is basically an americanised college that supplies most of the universities rugby team. its a college like any other, but has a real sports drive is all
J
When you say 'Black, St Edmunds' are you drawing a link between the offensive stereotype that 'all blacks are good at sports' and that St Edmunds 'has a real sports drive'?

What are you getting at? Do you mean to suggest that mountainwiccan was offered a place because of his sporting nous and not because he is bright?

What do you mean by an Americanised College - I was going to apply to them but changed my mind......
crana
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
The education system needs to look at black underachievement and anti-social behaviour as a part of society. Its all those records by Dr Dre. going '[email protected] the police' thats doing all the damage, and So Solid Crew etc...
tbh i dont really think this is the main problem. plenty of people who are doing just fine educationally and whatever listen to this kind of music. I think the poverty and educational deprivation people suffer is more important, imho
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
And it isn't just Dre on doing '**** tha police' it's NWA
Othello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Im black and was offered a place at Oxford for September 2002. I chose to go to LSE instead. Has anyone ever considered that black people just dont feel it neccessary to go to Oxbridge and prefer unis which are located in areas where they feel more comfortable. This was the case for me.
*dave*
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by crana)
tbh i dont really think this is the main problem. plenty of people who are doing just fine educationally and whatever listen to this kind of music. I think the poverty and educational deprivation people suffer is more important, imho
Educational deprivation? I wouldnt say that black people are educationally deprived. Black people go to the same schools as white people dont they? So why do white students do better?
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Educational deprivation? I wouldnt say that black people are educationally deprived. Black people go to the same schools as white people dont they? So why do white students do better?
Because when you are born, at the same time that they decide on what pigmentation your skin is going to take, they at the same time allocate intelligence,workrate and all the other things you need to be successful.

Obviously, the powers that be have decided that people whose skin pigmentation is lighter should be allocated more 'successfullness' than the others.
rah
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
Because when you are born, at the same time that they decide on what pigmentation your skin is going to take, they at the same time allocate intelligence,workrate and all the other things you need to be successful.

Obviously, the powers that be have decided that people whose skin pigmentation is lighter should be allocated more 'successfullness' than the others.
wtf? you are taking the piss aren't you?
crana
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Erm....
No, not really - a lot of the time, what school you go to depends on where you live. So often, in areas where more black people live, the schools have predominantly black students. Which often correlates with more deprived areas.....sorry....I thought this was pretty obvious?!

Also, I have heard as another reason that black parents, having been faced with racism in their own school days / not having the confidence to say to mainly white headteachers etc that they want their child to go to a different school, would tend to send tehir child to the "default" school when white parents might be more likely to "push" for their child to go to a better school - I am not sure about this though.

Rosie
crana
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by rah)
wtf? you are taking the piss aren't you?
of course he is
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
http://www.cherwell.ospl.org/viewart...Jack%20Fanning

Above is the Cherwell link. 141 black students applied to Oxford, yet only 37 black students in the whole country got AAA!?
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Harry Potter)

Above is the Cherwell link. 141 black students applied to Oxford, yet only 37 black students in the whole country got AAA!?
IB students, International Students, Mature Students etc. Plus you apply (usually) based on your predicted grades, not your actual ones.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

No. it says the UCAS statistics showing how many got AAA were from the year before last.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
*dave*
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Theres that scheme that helps black people get into Cambridge with lower grades isn't there, GEEMA or sumthing like that?
*dave*
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Its always others fault isn't it. If I don't get AAA im not gonna blame it on other people. I know this post is being sarcastic, but at the same time I get the feeling that you think it is partially true.

Its all too easy to play the 'race' card whe things dont go well. I dont blame not getting into cambridge cos Ive got blond hair, but there was this post the other day that said they didnt get in because they were black.

The more and more I read these posts, the wierder it gets. Black people (quite rightly - and so do I) want 'black' not to be an issue, but when it comes to it being negative thing (like underachievement) they all too easy jump on the 'black is a big issue - theres racism in the system etc.' bandwagon.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Its always others fault isn't it. If I don't get AAA im not gonna blame it on other people. I know this post is being sarcastic, but at the same time I get the feeling that you think it is partially true.

Its all too easy to play the 'race' card whe things dont go well. I dont blame not getting into cambridge cos Ive got blond hair, but there was this post the other day that said they didnt get in because they were black.

The more and more I read these posts, the wierder it gets. Black people (quite rightly - and so do I) want 'black' not to be an issue, but when it comes to it being negative thing (like underachievement) they all too easy jump on the 'black is a big issue - theres racism in the system etc.' bandwagon.
Do you believe that black people are more 'genetically predisposed' not just to crime, but to being stupid/unsuccessful as well?
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Do you believe that black people are more 'genetically predisposed' not just to crime, but to being stupid/unsuccessful as well?

I don't think he implied that they were predisposed to either. It's clearly a very important issue, and there's a failing in the system, but I think it occurs long before Oxbridge applications and at a much wider level.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (15)
19.74%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (33)