This discussion is closed.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
I don't think he implied that they were predisposed to either. It's clearly a very important issue, and there's a failing in the system, but I think it occurs long before Oxbridge applications and at a much wider level.
I was referring more to another post he made in a different thread.... Oh and I agree absolutley and have said as much earlier in the thread.
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
I was referring more to another post he made in a different thread.... Oh and I agree absolutley and have said as much earlier in the thread.

Ok, fair enough.
Tá bron orm.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
Ok, fair enough.
Tá bron orm.
Go raibh maith agut
crana
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *dave*)
Its always others fault isn't it. If I don't get AAA im not gonna blame it on other people. I know this post is being sarcastic, but at the same time I get the feeling that you think it is partially true.

Its all too easy to play the 'race' card whe things dont go well. I dont blame not getting into cambridge cos Ive got blond hair, but there was this post the other day that said they didnt get in because they were black.

The more and more I read these posts, the wierder it gets. Black people (quite rightly - and so do I) want 'black' not to be an issue, but when it comes to it being negative thing (like underachievement) they all too easy jump on the 'black is a big issue - theres racism in the system etc.' bandwagon.
If people with blonde hair tended to come from more deprived backgrounds and encounter more prejudice than people with other-coloured hair you might have a point. As it is, you don't.

People don't generally want their race to be an "issue", but I think the statistics for people getting in/applying to Cambridge very very clearly show that black people are completely under-represented at Cambridge (not to mention other universities, jobs, and so on). So being black IS an issue whether people like it or not!

I don't want the fact that I'm a girl to be a big deal when I apply for jobs or whatever, but if I encounter sexism when doing so, then I am forced to make a deal of it!

Rosie
Mentally Ill
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by crana)
If people with blonde hair tended to come from more deprived backgrounds and encounter more prejudice than people with other-coloured hair you might have a point. As it is, you don't.

People don't generally want their race to be an "issue", but I think the statistics for people getting in/applying to Cambridge very very clearly show that black people are completely under-represented at Cambridge (not to mention other universities, jobs, and so on). So being black IS an issue whether people like it or not!

I don't want the fact that I'm a girl to be a big deal when I apply for jobs or whatever, but if I encounter sexism when doing so, then I am forced to make a deal of it!

Rosie
Very well said.

*Dave* - GEEMA does not help black people get into Cam with lower grades. Its purpose is to get ethnic minorities to apply to Cam if they meet the entry requirements. I think you are referring to CSAS. This is not exclusively for black people. CSAS is for all applicants irrespective of race. I think you may have got the wrong end of the stick.

(Original post by *Dave*)
The more and more I read these posts, the wierder it gets. Black people (quite rightly - and so do I) want 'black' not to be an issue, but when it comes to it being negative thing (like underachievement) they all too easy jump on the 'black is a big issue - theres racism in the system etc.' bandwagon.
Edited to remove offensive language. Don't make such sweeping generalisations you bitter little boy.
thought
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by crana)

Rosie
i was searching for some thread and saw this. i haven't bothered to read the whole thread so blame me not for repeating points.

firstly i think dave has a point and so does the counter-arguement that there is an issue about race.

what would be more interesting is the number of black applicants (therefore implying who actually applied) and that compared the ratio of black people who got in. e.g if 100 black people applied and that 86 (?) that got in etc..it would make more sense.

quoting dave the 'issue' is weirder..
it's about balancing and judging academic performance neutrally and not being biased/racist. yet you can claim one and then have the other i.e being biased and not being neutral..being racist and not being neutral..being neutral yet being 'racist'..

get me :confused:
crana
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thought)
i was searching for some thread and saw this. i haven't bothered to read the whole thread so blame me not for repeating points.

firstly i think dave has a point and so does the counter-arguement that there is an issue about race.

what would be more interesting is the number of black applicants (therefore implying who actually applied) and that compared the ratio of black people who got in. e.g if 100 black people applied and that 86 (?) that got in etc..it would make more sense.

quoting dave the 'issue' is weirder..
it's about balancing and judging academic performance neutrally and not being biased/racist. yet you can claim one and then have the other i.e being biased and not being neutral..being racist and not being neutral..being neutral yet being 'racist'..

get me :confused:
hi not to be nasty but errm no i dont really get what you're on about. maybe if you did try reading the rest of the thread then re posted it might make more sense to me.. we looked at applicationffer ratios.. and i am honestly lost on other parts of your post

rosiexx
Suzy_vet
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by crana)

Rosie
I disagree, its not the fact that you are balck, its the fact that if you are black you are (statistically, ok?) more likey to have come from deprived or innner city arreas not associated and with no history conected with cambirdge, therefore you, as a statistic, are less likey to have applied, and perhaps less well qualified for a place due to a poorer education. On an individual level, you are not going to be discriminated against any mroe than the next person who walks through the door at interview, and i think it is shameful to suggest that anyone would be; you are looked at as an individual and no more. I would be interested in applications to acceptances ratio if anyone could find it, casue i suspect its not that bad.
crana
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Suzy_vet)
I disagree, its not the fact that you are balck, its the fact that if you are black you are (statistically, ok?) more likey to have come from deprived or innner city arreas not associated and with no history conected with cambirdge, therefore you, as a statistic, are less likey to have applied, and perhaps less well qualified for a place due to a poorer education. On an individual level, you are not going to be discriminated against any mroe than the next person who walks through the door at interview, and i think it is shameful to suggest that anyone would be; you are looked at as an individual and no more. I would be interested in applications to acceptances ratio if anyone could find it, casue i suspect its not that bad.
erm
what exactly are you objecting to in what I said? I don't get it. We seem to think the same thing..........?

rosie
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (446)
59.07%
Yes- I don't like it (42)