This discussion is closed.
Mentally Ill
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by icarusgideon)
Well Ladies and Gentlemen I have been reading through these posts and I would just like to say to Mentally Ill..........

Until this point the points you were making were mostly ghastly, silly and disrespectful, but quite adequate for you. However, getting to the point, what triggered me to reply to your posts is the fact that could not counter argue to zoe cartlin's argument and retorted to questioning her integrity and litterally abusing her.
For this, Zoe, I am sorry. Unfortunately this is not it, the fact that you act that as a spokesperson for the 'black community' by answering all these peoples questions with this stupid tone, has also angered me. What zoe was saying was right to an extent, in that the small number of blacks meant that only a few if any would understand her problems (be it home,uni or any other issue) clearly had she ended up in cam/oxford. This is not to say that the white students wouldn't, indeed most of my friends are white (guess what...I AM BLACK!!) and I am speaking from experience here.

Mentally Ill, I think that you have a communication problem and ought to sort it out since you turn to abusing those who disagree with you. I feel that you also have an identity crisis in that you don't want to admit that there is a difference between you (being jamaican + black) and other white people. Personally I think its very good to realise that there is that difference in culture and that it should not be a problem. So stop being a bounty (incase that you dont know what that means: black outside + white inside = like that chocolate) and learn to appreciate your values.

BTW, for some of you this might sound a bit racist, but please try to understand that I am not in anyway racist.
Frankly, I couldnt care less whether the admissions to oxbridge is this or that. If you are better than their 'type' of student than they will try to please you by any means necessary!! Yes, speaking from experience again.
I have to say that I laughed quite a lot when I read your message. If you knew me (or ever met me) you would retract your racist statement.

I have no commmunication problem. Clearly you do: the paragraphs I have highlighted in your post do not read very well. What points are you trying to make in them? May I suggest that you use the edit facility at the earliest opportunity.

I feel that you also have an identity crisis in that you don't want to admit that there is a difference between you (being jamaican + black) and other white people
An example to illustrate the point you are trying to make here would be neccessary if you wish me to address this issue. I do not feel I have any identity crisis, nor am I under the impression that there is no difference between me and white folks. What gave you this idea?

PS The points I was making upto this point (as you so elegantly put it), were not silly. They were valid.
icarusgideon
Report 16 years ago
Mentally Ill,

Unfortunately for you, we have come to a misunderstanding.
When I said that you had a communication problem I did not mean that your grasp of english language was poor, but that you turn to abusive as a means of expressing yourself. Contrary to your believe I can express myself clearly and my grammatical mistakes do not make me a worse communicator. However considering the length of my stay in GB, I would say that my english is very good indeed.
Anyway, I think that you misinterpreted my meaning of 'white people'. I was refering to 'white english' born and bred being different CULTURALLY, and that you as a jamaican you should learn to respect Rastafarians as part of your culture (no you don't have to LOVE them!) and the many other things that your culture of offers to British society. Coming to terms with these differences was what I was talking about not the race issue and all that bull****. And let me tell you another thing, I for one cannot be racist since all my close friends are white and I didnt even have one black friend a couple of years ago. That goes to show again how sensitive you are about this issue and yet again you had tried to twist my words (cos you did understand me) so as to avoid answering the simple qs.

I wont bother telling you off anymore, because I am not your parent. At least I have tried to help......................
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I wont bother telling you off anymore, because I am not your parent.
Well you're doing a damn good job of ACTING like the poor guy's parent... :rolleyes:

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Mentally Ill,

Unfortunately for you, we have come to a misunderstanding.
When I said that you had a communication problem I did not mean that your grasp of english language was poor, but that you turn to abusive as a means of expressing yourself.
I prefer to think of it as passionate rather than abusive.

Contrary to your believe I can express myself clearly and my grammatical mistakes do not make me a worse communicator.
Indeed

However considering the length of my stay in GB, I would say that my english is very good indeed.
Congratulations.

Anyway, I think that you misinterpreted my meaning of 'white people'. I was refering to 'white english' born and bred being different CULTURALLY, and that you as a jamaican you should learn to respect Rastafarians as part of your culture (no you don't have to LOVE them!)
Firstly, write what you mean! I am not a mind reader. Secondly, I do not have any respect for those groups of people who incite racial hatred. I do not respect the National Front nor do I respect the BNP. Why should I respect Rastafarians simply because we come from the same place?

and the many other things that your culture of offers to British society.

Coming to terms with these differences was what I was talking about not the race issue and all that bull****.
I am well aware of what my culture has to offer British society. I have nothing to come to terms with.

And let me tell you another thing, I for one cannot be racist since all my close friends are white and I didnt even have one black friend a couple of years ago.
Thank you for telling me this, but it neither strengthen or weakens your argument. It is completely unneccessary. But thanks again. I could comment on some flaws of this statement, but I'll not waste my time.

That goes to show again how sensitive you are about this issue and yet again you had tried to twist my words (cos you did understand me) so as to avoid answering the simple qs.
Does it? Am I? Honeslty, what are you waffling on about?

I wont bother telling you off anymore, because I am not your parent. At least I have tried to help......................
And a great help you have been
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
This is turning into a proper fight. Just ignore him, Mentally Ill, he's not worth it. And congratulations on your Cam place btw

icarusgideon
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Well you're doing a damn good job of ACTING like the poor guy's parent... :rolleyes:

Hi Hildabeast,

how nice of you to comment on my teaching methods, you sure like nose around in other peoples bussiness dont you!?!

*No further comments*
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
how nice of you to comment on my teaching methods, you sure like nose around in other peoples bussiness dont you!?!
Well people, especially adults, aren't here to be taught. And as far as I am aware, this is a PUBLIC forum, so I don't see how anybody could possibly 'nose around' :rolleyes:

PS You can't be a very good teacher if you don't know how to spell business... :rolleyes:
icarusgideon
Report 16 years ago
Well people, especially adults, aren't here to be taught. And as far as I am aware, this is a PUBLIC forum, so I don't see how anybody could possibly 'nose around' :rolleyes:

PS You can't be a very good teacher if you don't know how to spell business... :rolleyes:

lol........I do seem to have a spelling problem, care to teach me? no no no sorry....I shouldn't have said that. I don't fight girls...not even the biggest feminists!
btw I didnt know that adults weren't allowed to teach other ADULTS, an english thing is it?

*girl, lets stop this *****ing shall we*
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
lol........I do seem to have a spelling problem, care to teach me? no no no sorry....I shouldn't have said that. I don't fight girls...not even the biggest feminists!
btw I didnt know that adults weren't allowed to teach other ADULTS, an english thing is it?

*girl, lets stop this *****ing shall we*
Icarusgideon - You are such a twat. (was that abusive?) Spelling is the least of your problems.

(Original post by Hildabeast)
This is turning into a proper fight. Just ignore him, Mentally Ill, he's not worth it. And congratulations on your Cam place btw
Thanks HildaB. I don't mind having my opinions challenged, but I do wish that those who are challenging my opinions, namely Zoe and Icarusgideon, would have the courtesy of checking the facts that their opinions are based on before asserting them on me.

Also, belated congratulations to you for securing your place I guess the whole 'novelty' has worn off for you by now?
guest30
Report 16 years ago
Thanks HildaB. I don't mind having my opinions challenged, but I do wish that those who are challenging my opinions, namely Zoe and Icarusgideon, would have the courtesy of checking the facts that their opinions are based on before asserting them on me.

I have been reading these posts for the past day or so as my niece is preparing to enter University this year, and I have become increasingly incensed by the quite unecessary venom which is coming from HildaBeast and Mentally Ill. I'm sorry but are your forums names an indication of your particular dispositions?
The points which Icarusgideon and Zoe make are valid and resorting to verbal abuse because you do not like what they are saying is a little infantile. Mentally Ill you are intending to go to Oxbridge this year. Will you resort to being as argumentative when you get there, or do you believe that other Cambridge students will agree with everything that you say? I find you attitude a little bewildering...

I am a Black, a practising Barrister in London, and, I might add I went to Cambridge a few years ago. I REGRET DOING SO. As it was for the most part a middle class environment and there were so few black students for me to identify with. Now this is not to say that other ethnic minorites would not benefit from the experience, but I did not, and feel that I am in a better position (than Mentally Ill is) to judge the merits of an Oxbridge education. You have yet to go there!!
I quite honestly believe that Mentally Ill has compromised his integrity by belittling his own race and attempting to denigrate people with differing viewpoints, which does give the impression that he is somewhat conflicted about his own race. Attempting to endear yourself to people of differing races in order to elevate yourself in their eyes may work in the artificially constructed world of academia, but when you leave Oxbridge and go into the real world you will recognise that this unfortunately will NOT work! Do you not feel that you are presenting an overinflated image of yourself by continuously pointing out other peoples' so-called errors without being prepared to reflect on your own flawed presentation?
Fortunately I have a life extrinsic to this board and am not prepared to WADE through YOURS and others inconsistencies point by point as you have done to others. Suffice it to say that the history of Martin Luther King and Malcolm X aspresented by Zoe is in fact correct. My colleague's husband who was an activist in Kenya was an acquaintance of both of these men. Similarly Icarusgideon is quite accurate in saying that your approach is a very defensive one and that you are not actually saying anything substantially meaningful.

I would suggest that Icarsugideon and Zoe ignore these postings and treat them with the contempt that they deserve. I certainly shall!!
neildm
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by guest30)
Thanks HildaB. I don't mind having my opinions challenged, but I do wish that those who are challenging my opinions, namely Zoe and Icarus.......................... ............. I certainly shall!!
Well, boo hoo! I came to the UK two years ago, knowing no-one besides my mother here and I had no-one to identify with. Even until today, I've found no-one this side of the world to relate to about my culture, background etc.
None of this has prevented me from making incredible friends here (who have nothing to do and know very little about the place in India I hail from) or making the best of my education and life in this country. If you regret your time at Cambridge because there were so few black students to identify with, thats a personal problem. Was it not possible to relate with people of other races at some level? Or was it because they were all "middle class" and boring? (and looked exactly the same, and had exactly the same personality)
But its a great thing you posted - at least I'm now aware that not everyone I meet at Cam will be open-minded and proactive about friendships.
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I have been reading these posts for the past day or so as my niece is preparing to enter University this year, and I have become increasingly incensed by the quite unecessary venom which is coming from HildaBeast and Mentally Ill. I'm sorry but are your forums names an indication of your particular dispositions?
The points which Icarusgideon and Zoe make are valid and resorting to verbal abuse because you do not like what they are saying is a little infantile. Mentally Ill you are intending to go to Oxbridge this year. Will you resort to being as argumentative when you get there, or do you believe that other Cambridge students will agree with everything that you say? I find you attitude a little bewildering...

I am a Black, a practising Barrister in London, and, I might add I went to Cambridge a few years ago. I REGRET DOING SO. As it was for the most part a middle class environment and there were so few black students for me to identify with. Now this is not to say that other ethnic minorites would not benefit from the experience, but I did not, and feel that I am in a better position (than Mentally Ill is) to judge the merits of an Oxbridge education. You have yet to go there!!
I quite honestly believe that Mentally Ill has compromised his integrity by belittling his own race and attempting to denigrate people with differing viewpoints, which does give the impression that he is somewhat conflicted about his own race. Attempting to endear yourself to people of differing races in order to elevate yourself in their eyes may work in the artificially constructed world of academia, but when you leave Oxbridge and go into the real world you will recognise that this unfortunately will NOT work! Do you not feel that you are presenting an overinflated image of yourself by continuously pointing out other peoples' so-called errors without being prepared to reflect on your own flawed presentation?
Fortunately I have a life extrinsic to this board and am not prepared to WADE through YOURS and others inconsistencies point by point as you have done to others. Suffice it to say that the history of Martin Luther King and Malcolm X aspresented by Zoe is in fact correct. My colleague's husband who was an activist in Kenya was an acquaintance of both of these men. Similarly Icarusgideon is quite accurate in saying that your approach is a very defensive one and that you are not actually saying anything substantially meaningful.

I would suggest that Icarsugideon and Zoe ignore these postings and treat them with the contempt that they deserve. I certainly shall!!
Zoe, I have told you before: if you cant write in simple English, then do not write at all. A good piece of writing is a simple piece. I'd rather not have to use a dictionary to get the points you are making.

And what's with the new user name? And pretending to be a barrister ? Sad life for some, huh?

When I attend Cambridge I shall be just as argumenative. I dont expect everybody to share my view - but life would be boring if everybody did!

Belittling my own race? Are you for real?
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by neildm)
Well, boo hoo! I came to the UK two years ago, knowing no-one besides my mother here and I had no-one to identify with. Even until today, I've found no-one this side of the world to relate to about my culture, background etc.
None of this has prevented me from making incredible friends here (who have nothing to do and know very little about the place in India I hail from) or making the best of my education and life in this country. If you regret your time at Cambridge because there were so few black students to identify with, thats a personal problem. Was it not possible to relate with people of other races at some level? Or was it because they were all "middle class" and boring? (and looked exactly the same, and had exactly the same personality)
But its a great thing you posted - at least I'm now aware that not everyone I meet at Cam will be open-minded and proactive about friendships.
I too cannot see why having too few people of one's own race to 'identify' with (for three years - a small fraction of one's life) should be a massive problem.

If I were to be put off things because I had no one to 'identify' with and no one who came from the same background as me then I would be in trouble. How many Jamaican Indians do you know? I have only met about 3 similar people in England.

I very much doubt that when I graduate I will look back on my time and regret that I went to Cambridge because there were no other Jamaican Indians. What a joke. Yes, I understand it will be a different environment, but by learning to fit in and make friends (without loosing your own identity) is the most important thing. If you only feel comfortable around your own race then you have a problem. Especially in a country who's majority is another race! As human beings, we have to learn to live alongside one another.

The high school I went to was predominantly black. There was only 1 white person in the whole year. She didn't end up acting like she was black, nor did she feel the need to leave my school to look for another 'white' school.

(Original post by dreamer)
I was just about to post. Mentally Ill, I too was quite interested that you did not seem to understand a discomfort about being in an environment with comparatively few black students. For my friends, race did influence their feelings when it came to university choices. I don't think it is a question of people being 'unwelcoming' or you being in a minority per se, but more being around people who might have experienced similar issues in their lives, who might be able to help and understand in a way that others, through no fault of their own, are less likely to be able to do. The issue of underrepresentation is partly due to this: it's not solely about low aspirations or inadequate schooling.
.....personally, IMHO, race should not matter so much when choosing a university. The standard of education should be more important. Being around people who have had similar or different issues and experiences in their lives is the least of my concerns. We learn from people who have had different experiences to us. They learn from us. To suggest that every white person at cambridge has had similar issues is somewhat contentious.

To me, Camrbridge will not be discomfort. It will be an experience where I shall gain an excellent education and will be the foundation of my career. If I do feel isolated, then I shall visit home - it is only for three years!

If people feel that they 'need' (as opposed to want) to be around people of the same race as them to succeed then they have serious issues.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Zoe get a life, you idiot.
guest30
Report 16 years ago
Zoe, I have told you before: if you cant write in simple English, then do not write at all. A good piece of writing is a simple piece. I'd rather not have to use a dictionary to get the points you are making.
And what's with the new user name? And pretending to be a barrister ? Sad life for some, huh?
When I attend Cambridge I shall be just as argumenative. I dont expect everybody to share my view - but life would be boring if everybody did!

Mentally Ill ...are you precisely that? Interesting strategy..anyone who disagrees with you is either pretending to be someone else or they are "*****".
As it happens I do not agree with everything that Zoe Caitlin says, but there are merits to what she has said. I'm possibly more agreeable with Icarusgideon. But this does not mean that I have to tow your particular line just becuase you are also Black! I am sorry to disappoint you but I am actually a Barrister albeit for a lowly set of Chambers but I really do not care what you think!!
Having read your last post, I do believe that you have some sort of Personality Disorder which I find more worrying than amusing. I deal with a small amount of Mental Health Law so if you ever require Counsel....?
And this...is my final word on the matter so feel free to continue posting.... if this makes you feel better!!
mountainwiccan
Report 16 years ago
Congrats please!!
Law - Cambridge, St Edmunds unconditional!!
I am black... I'm really excited even if its not one of the more prestigious colleges!! I'll give it my best shot there!!
mountainwiccan
Report 16 years ago
Oh everyone stop arguing. You're alive, living in a democracy, you have your health (hopefully)...Chill out!!!
smaug
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mountainwiccan)
Oh everyone stop arguing. You're alive, living in a democracy, you have your health (hopefully)...Chill out!!!
Just cos you're in a good mood...
MurphysMoment.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No it doesn't solve the problem, which is why there are more and more initiatives to encourage pupils to aspire to higher education from a younger age than in the past.

Why do we need so many people in higher education? Higher Education should be for the Intellectual Elite and those of them who want to go.
Veedy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mountainwiccan)
Congrats please!!
Law - Cambridge, St Edmunds unconditional!!
I am black... I'm really excited even if its not one of the more prestigious colleges!! I'll give it my best shot there!!
Well done!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (445)
59.02%
Yes- I don't like it (42)