This discussion is closed.
Mentally Ill
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mountainwiccan)
Congrats please!!
Law - Cambridge, St Edmunds unconditional!!
I am black... I'm really excited even if its not one of the more prestigious colleges!! I'll give it my best shot there!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! St Edmunds College isn't too bad you know. And they're pretty tough when it comes to admissions (especially Law!)!!

How do you feel about not being around a lot of black people in Cambridge? Are you not worried about the 'issues' Zoe/Icarusgideon seem to raise? Clearly, it wasn't an important enough reason to put you off applying to Cam, right? Let me know your thoughts........
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by dreamer)
I didn't suggest that- the first point above is somewhat ridiculous, as is the second, so you would be quite right to disagree with them, had I made them. I didn't, and I would appreciate it if you didn't draw non-sequiturs from my posts, as I implied neither of the above.

Actually, I think you did imply the first point. My second statement was not needed to follow on from your post. I was stating something.

but more being around people who might have experienced similar issues in their lives, who might be able to help and understand in a way that others, through no fault of their own, are less likely to be able to do
Does this not suggest that people who 'might have experienced similar issues', belong to the same racial group? Furthermore, does it not imply that members of a given racial group are likely to have 'experienced similar issues'? Then surely, you are hinting that white people have experienced similar issues? (I am not trying to put words in your mouth - I want you to develop your point further so I can see what you are getting at....Perhaps you may raise something I haven't thought about and change me opinion)

Exactly what do you mean when you speak of 'similar issues'? Are you talking about culture? What are these issues?.....come on tell me.

When I go to Cambridge I can imagine that my counterparts will never have heard of my favourite music artist (or even understand what he is saying when he sings), or know what 'fish and bammy' is, or have ever eaten 'steamed fish and okra'. But, to me, this poses no threat whatsoever. Why should it? I will not suddenly stop being who I am. It is absolutely not an issue. I shall continue to live my life as I have been doing for the past years, and I shall learn about other peoples cultures. If I never meet a Jamaican when I am in Cambridge it will not be an issue - you are allowed to go home from time to time. I am not committing the rest of my life to Cambridge: it is [/B]only[/B] three years. That'd be about 4% of my total life.

PS Please please please stop using the unneccesary words. I really think it is pointless. The usage of the term 'Non sequiturs' is just not needed. I have never heard it before in my life - and I think the average Briton will have never heard it. Simple English please.
dreamer
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mentally Ill)
Actually, I think you did imply the first point. My second statement was not needed to follow on from your post. I was stating something.

Does this not suggest that people who 'might have experienced similar issues', belong to the same racial group? Furthermore, does it not imply that members of a given racial group are likely to have 'experienced similar issues'? Then surely, you are hinting that white people have experienced similar issues? (I am not trying to put words in your mouth - I want you to develop your point further so I can see what you are getting at....Perhaps you may raise something I haven't thought about and change me opinion)

Exactly what do you mean when you speak of 'similar issues'? Are you talking about culture? What are these issues?.....come on tell me. .
Calm thyself MI. No I not hinting this at all. To draw an analogy, if I talk about a group of girls working in say engineering (still very male dominated) would you argue they might have experienced shared conflicts e.g. glass ceilings as a result of being in such an environment, but men too had particular conflicts as a result of being in a male environment? Of course not. The point is not that of being of a shared racial group, but of a shared racial group in a minority. So I apologise if this was't clear to you, but as I am sure you will understand, I was surprised you had made the inference as I don't believe I had implied that white people experience similar issues.

When I go to Cambridge I can imagine that my counterparts will never have heard of my favourite music artist (or even understand what he is saying when he sings), or know what 'fish and bammy' is, or have ever eaten 'steamed fish and okra'. But, to me, this poses no threat whatsoever. Why should it? I will not suddenly stop being who I am. It is absolutely not an issue. I shall continue to live my life as I have been doing for the past years, and I shall learn about other peoples cultures. If I never meet a Jamaican when I am in Cambridge it will not be an issue - you are allowed to go home from time to time. I am not committing the rest of my life to Cambridge: it is [/B]only[/B] three years. That'd be about 4% of my total life.
I don't have a problem with that at all!! I am not attacking you, I was just trying to think of some possible reasons for zoe's discomfort.

PS Please please please stop using the unneccesary words. I really think it is pointless. The usage of the term 'Non sequiturs' is just not needed. I have never heard it before in my life - and I think the average Briton will have never heard it. Simple English please.
I use non sequitur a lot. I apologise if you didn't like it: it is a particular phrase of mine, and I picked it up off the TV. I wasn't trying to be pretentious. I think it is a beautiful phrase, that's all. Maybe in time it will become as popular as 'ad nauseam'!

Anyway, I am very impressed with your dedication to pursuing your argument: that's admirable it itself!
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by guest30)
Having read your last post, I do believe that you have some sort of Personality Disorder which I find more worrying than amusing. I deal with a small amount of Mental Health Law so if you ever require Counsel....?
And this...is my final word on the matter so feel free to continue posting.... if this makes you feel better!!
A Cambridge trained barrister diagnoses me with a Personality Disorder on the basis of a post on an anonymous internet forum in which I say we as humans must learn to interact with one another; that we must learn not to feel threatened by one another because we are of different races. Well I am impressed with your logic and reasoning skills!

(Original post by guest30)
And this...is my final word on the matter so feel free to continue posting.... if this makes you feel better!!
Zoe, does this mean we can put your troubled imaginery friend to rest now? I find that the greatest writers of fiction normally do a good amount of research on the prospective background of their characters. It seems you dreamed up the character of Guest30 in one of your early posts:
(Original post by Zoe Catlin)
also I might add from having spoke to two close friends who are both Solicitors who attended Cambridge and regretted doing so because depsite what anyone says it mostly consists of white, middle-class students
Why did you decide to make Gues30 a barrister instead? And the fact that your creation, Guest30, seemed to back up your point about MLK was a bit of a giveaway.

Oh well, perhaps you [Zoe] should skip HE and concentrate on a career in fiction writing........(or maybe not?)
*dave*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
You've never studied History, have you?
Nor have you to a reasonable level. Stop belittling people!
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *dave*)
Nor have you to a reasonable level. Stop belittling people!
How do you know?
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by dreamer)
Calm thyself MI. No I not hinting this at all. To draw an analogy, if I talk about a group of girls working in say engineering (still very male dominated) would you argue they might have experienced shared conflicts e.g. glass ceilings as a result of being in such an environment, but men too had particular conflicts as a result of being in a male environment? Of course not. The point is not that of being of a shared racial group, but of a shared racial group in a minority. So I apologise if this was't clear to you, but as I am sure you will understand, I was surprised you had made the inference as I don't believe I had implied that white people experience similar issues.

I don't have a problem with that at all!! I am not attacking you, I was just trying to think of some possible reasons for zoe's discomfort.

I use non sequitur a lot. I apologise if you didn't like it: it is a particular phrase of mine, and I picked it up off the TV. I wasn't trying to be pretentious. I think it is a beautiful phrase, that's all. Maybe in time it will become as popular as 'ad nauseam'!

Anyway, I am very impressed with your dedication to pursuing your argument: that's admirable it itself!
After considering the analogy you have drawn, I can see the point you are trying to make. Also, I would not like to condemn people who think they may feel uncomfortable at Cambridge because of the lack of representation, I just dont think it is a good enough reason to reject an excellent education and deny one's self the ability to aspire to one's goals - and more importantly to maintain the status quo. That's all.

Further more, let's not loose sight of the fact that I initally descended on Zoe not because of any discomfort she thinks she may feel at Cam, but because of her the uninformed opinions. She then went on the play up the discomfort thing far too much. She wanted to come on the forum and moan about underrepresentation but at the same time she doesnt want to take a step towards rectifying the situation.
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
How do you know?
He is 16/17.
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
what a silly thing to say, go look it up in a dictionary jeez it means going off on unrelated random tangents and i'm sure many people would have heard it, certainly at cambridge *rolls eyes*
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rah)
what a silly thing to say, go look it up in a dictionary jeez it means going off on unrelated random tangents and i'm sure many people would have heard it, certainly at cambridge *rolls eyes*
It is not a silly thing to say actually - if you read any good piece of writing, you will immediately see that the author makes their points without using pretentious language. Nobody I know has heard of it.

And I think you'll find the proper definition is "a statement which does not correctly follow from the meaning of the previous statement" - which is somewhat different to 'going off on unrelated random tangents'. Not following correctly is not neccessarily unrelated and random. Jeez perhaps you should look it up in a dictionary. Stop assuming 'many people' in Cambridge read dictionaries for fun. * rolls eyes*.......Honestly, some people are so pretentious.

BTW - the fact that you do not know the accurate meaning illustrates my point for not using unneccessary words. Thank you.
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rah)
He is 16/17.
and?

History might be his hobby........................
*dave*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
and?

History might be his hobby........................
No, thinking he is right is his hobby
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
It is not a silly thing to say actually - if you read any good piece of writing, you will immediately see that the author makes their points without using pretentious language. Nobody I know has heard of it.

And I think you'll find the proper definition is "a statement which does not correctly follow from the meaning of the previous statement" - which is somewhat different to 'going off on unrelated random tangents'. Not following correctly is not neccessarily unrelated and random. Jeez perhaps you should look it up in a dictionary. Stop assuming 'many people' in Cambridge read dictionaries for fun. * rolls eyes*.......Honestly, some people are so pretentious.

BTW - the fact that you do not know the accurate meaning illustrates my point for not using unneccessary words. Thank you.

yes dear... *pats on head* for a 'mature' student, which i believe you said you were, you are suprisingly..not.

edit-hahahaha oh dear i just realised, you actually did look it up *shakes head*
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Shocking stat in yesterday's Cherwell -

How many black students across the country got 3A's in 2002?

In which case the numbers of black students in Oxbridge are about right, and highlights that the problem of black underachievement should be sorted in the classroom and not at uni.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jools)

In which case the numbers of black students in Oxbridge are about right, and highlights that the problem of black underachievement should be sorted in the classroom and not at uni.
Crumbs, if that statistic is true then it's an appalling reflection on our society and education system.

Alaric.
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jools)

out of 20,000? bloody hell thats scary! hah i know one of them, shall tell her the *good* news!
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mountainwiccan)
Congrats please!!
Law - Cambridge, St Edmunds unconditional!!
I am black... I'm really excited even if its not one of the more prestigious colleges!! I'll give it my best shot there!!
Black, St Edmunds...
You don't happen to be a real huge black guy with a real nack for playing some sport or another (probably rugby)..?
St Edmunds is basically an americanised college that supplies most of the universities rugby team. its a college like any other, but has a real sports drive is all
J
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jools)

haha, i'll remember that stat
Person on front of all cambridge papers is a black student at corpus. has signed a ridiculous book deal worth 400 grand.
cool for her ey?
J
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
haha, i'll remember that stat
Person on front of all cambridge papers is a black student at corpus. has signed a ridiculous book deal worth 400 grand.
cool for her ey?
J

How come?
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rah)
out of 20,000? bloody hell thats scary! hah i know one of them, shall tell her the *good* news!
hmmm that's a point, I know someone with 4As...

Alaric.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (444)
59.04%
Yes- I don't like it (42)