Guide for writing an Accounting+Finance Personal Statement

Watch
LZRSWRD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi,

I've recently given some advice to someone else so I will literally copy and paste what I wrote:

I'm not sure what grades you have but if you want to do A&F at the most respected universities then you will certainly need AAB at least.

Firstly I will talk about choosing your universities. Alot rests on the reputation and I would recommend the 'Times University Guide' as a good source. Don't be fooled by subject tables; always use both the overall league tables and subject tables when judging which university is 'better'. For example I think Bath was ranked number 1 this year in the subject table however Warwick and LSE are higher in the overall league.

Always check entry requirements on the university websites to see whether you stand a chance. More importantly, some universities actually post a list of A Level subjects that they don't really like, for example LSE. They require you to have at least 2 traditional A Levels or they won't consider you. I think Bath have a similar subject discrimination policy too.

After many hours of extensive research I chose the following university choices and received the following offers:

LSE - Rejected :p: (When I asked for feedback, they said mine was one of the best they had read but it was due to weak GCSE's (no A*'s) and one soft A-Level (Business Studies)
Warwick AABb
Bristol - AAA
Bath - AAA
Manchester - AAB

After choosing your universities you will start your personal statement. I cannot stress how important this is. I know for sure at LSE; if it isn't up to scratch then they WILL reject you no matter what your grades are. I think LSE have a web page where they give tips about how to write a good personal statement but here are mine:

1) Get yourself clued up on what Accounting and Finance is - Define Accounting, talk about why you like it e.g. the logic, the maths, relating numbers to business? Finance is raising capital for businesses, perhaps you can talk a bit about Investment Banking or if you really want to look good, link it to Mergers and Acquisitions (A department in IB which has a link to Accounting as it involves valuing companies and takeovers)

2) Get some experience - Even if it's one week at an Accountants, you can talk about it and it shows that you have a genuine interest. You can talk about tasks you got involved in such as working with Sage, Bank Reconciliations, Payroll etc. If you can't then find another workplace which has something related to Accounting.

3) Link your subjects to Accounting - If you did Business Studies for example; talk about the Accounting unit and what you enjoyed. Investment Appraisals, Profit and Loss, Balance Sheets etc.

4) Talk about what you want to do in the future as a conclusion - You want to eventually work for a Big 4 auditor (PWC, KPMG, E&Y, DT) to get an ACA or Investment Banking in equity research perhaps?

5) Talk about your extra-curricular activities and what skills you have developed from them - Communication, confidence, team-working etc?

Anyway, I hope that helped. My main tip is that you need to get the best grades you possibly can at A Level. It will help alot as it will probably be the first thing employers see on the top of your CV and the main thing universities will judge you on. Secondly work extra hard on the personal statement and get clued up on Accounting.

If you need any more advice or have any questions then feel free to PM me.
sportycricketer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks I really needed this advice. I really want to go to LSE for accounting. I like REALLY REALLY wanna go there. What could I do to improve my chances if I haven't got strong GCSEs?
LZRSWRD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by sportycricketer)
Thanks I really needed this advice. I really want to go to LSE for accounting. I like REALLY REALLY wanna go there. What could I do to improve my chances if I haven't got strong GCSEs?
Get the best AS grades possible in Maths and 3 other subjects (if possible further maths). And write a killer personal statement. There's not much you can do really..
sportycricketer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
is it possible for me to have a copy of your personal statement just for reference purposes?
rugbygreg
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yes REFERENCE PURPOSES.
sportycricketer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yh of course.. unis have plagiarism softwares which detects any plagiarism anyway.. and its personal statement so it has to be personal. I just wanna see his approach to it
sportycricketer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by LZRSWRD)
Hi,

I've recently given some advice to someone else so I will literally copy and paste what I wrote:

I'm not sure what grades you have but if you want to do A&F at the most respected universities then you will certainly need AAB at least.

Firstly I will talk about choosing your universities. Alot rests on the reputation and I would recommend the 'Times University Guide' as a good source. Don't be fooled by subject tables; always use both the overall league tables and subject tables when judging which university is 'better'. For example I think Bath was ranked number 1 this year in the subject table however Warwick and LSE are higher in the overall league.

Always check entry requirements on the university websites to see whether you stand a chance. More importantly, some universities actually post a list of A Level subjects that they don't really like, for example LSE. They require you to have at least 2 traditional A Levels or they won't consider you. I think Bath have a similar subject discrimination policy too.

After many hours of extensive research I chose the following university choices and received the following offers:

LSE - Rejected :p: (When I asked for feedback, they said mine was one of the best they had read but it was due to weak GCSE's (no A*'s) and one soft A-Level (Business Studies)
Warwick AABb
Bristol - AAA
Bath - AAA
Manchester - AAB

After choosing your universities you will start your personal statement. I cannot stress how important this is. I know for sure at LSE; if it isn't up to scratch then they WILL reject you no matter what your grades are. I think LSE have a web page where they give tips about how to write a good personal statement but here are mine:

1) Get yourself clued up on what Accounting and Finance is - Define Accounting, talk about why you like it e.g. the logic, the maths, relating numbers to business? Finance is raising capital for businesses, perhaps you can talk a bit about Investment Banking or if you really want to look good, link it to Mergers and Acquisitions (A department in IB which has a link to Accounting as it involves valuing companies and takeovers)

2) Get some experience - Even if it's one week at an Accountants, you can talk about it and it shows that you have a genuine interest. You can talk about tasks you got involved in such as working with Sage, Bank Reconciliations, Payroll etc. If you can't then find another workplace which has something related to Accounting.

3) Link your subjects to Accounting - If you did Business Studies for example; talk about the Accounting unit and what you enjoyed. Investment Appraisals, Profit and Loss, Balance Sheets etc.

4) Talk about what you want to do in the future as a conclusion - You want to eventually work for a Big 4 auditor (PWC, KPMG, E&Y, DT) to get an ACA or Investment Banking in equity research perhaps?

5) Talk about your extra-curricular activities and what skills you have developed from them - Communication, confidence, team-working etc?

Anyway, I hope that helped. My main tip is that you need to get the best grades you possibly can at A Level. It will help alot as it will probably be the first thing employers see on the top of your CV and the main thing universities will judge you on. Secondly work extra hard on the personal statement and get clued up on Accounting.

If you need any more advice or have any questions then feel free to PM me.
Can you please help me with the Personal Statement for A&F?
username1247942
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, would it be possible for me to have a copy of your personal statement? (Again- JUST for reference purposes!)
EconAtUni
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
These are good points - I would just add be cautious of defining the subject in this case. The personal statement isn't like an academic essay where you would define the concepts being discussed and often there are better things you can say in given word limit.

Best to define only if you build on from that and it links to what you say before/after - i.e. it's not just an isolated sentence.
Amritas
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi
Do you think it is necessary to include wider reading? What wider reading did you do?
Thanks
101justastudent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,
Can I see your personal statement please?
I obviously would not copy it.
It would be a great help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (121)
62.37%
I don't have everything I need (73)
37.63%

Watched Threads