Choosing btween 2 subjects Watch

This discussion is closed.
Number14
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I wanna go on and prob do Law at uni bt was wondering whether i shuld still take it up at A2 bcos i dnt really want 2 continue history and was wondering wether universitys will take up students who already did law at AS and A2
Pixelated
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Number14)
I wanna go on and prob do Law at uni bt was wondering whether i shuld still take it up at A2 bcos i dnt really want 2 continue history and was wondering wether universitys will take up students who already did law at AS and A2
Yes, many Universities will still consider you, even if you do have Law to A2. It is only some, very particular (I stress "very particular") Universities such as LSE who adopt very set ways, and consequently prefer applicants to have no prior knowledge of Law; they prefer to teach their students Law afresh, using their methods... Unfortunately it is most of the top Universities who have their ways set-in-stone, but there are many, many good Universities who are flexible and will consider you. Just go with the vibe and pick whichever subjects you want to.
Number14
ok thanx for your help!
Champagne Breakfast
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
A grasp of the English language may well be required, regardless of whether or not you do Law at A-Level.
Number14
yeh i got an A in gcse and A2 so i hope dats gud...
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Everyone doesn't want or need to write using perfect English during forum posts. Sometimes, the poster may want to save time by using shortforms and abv.s

Notin wrong wit dat
Pixelated
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It'll be enough for the admission tutors, you can bet your bottom dollar.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Although universities may prefer it if you haven't studied law previously, I don't think taking it to A2 will stop you from getting any offers and there's no point doing A2 history if you don't like it.
Ises
Report 13 years ago
If I wanted to do Law, I'd probably do English, History and a modern language, as law is an arts subject. I'd probably do maths as a contrasting AS, for its logical reasoning.
Champagne Breakfast
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
An A in A2 is just dandy
ob2005
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
Although universities may prefer it if you haven't studied law previously, I don't think taking it to A2 will stop you from getting any offers and there's no point doing A2 history if you don't like it.
why do they prefer you not 2 do law?
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ob2005)
why do they prefer you not 2 do law?
I think it's because they want to teach everyone their way from scratch and those who've taken A-level law tend to not work as hard because they think they know it all already.
Mark S
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I was told by my head of 6th form that unis prefer is that you didnt take law at A level, as the 2 courses are similar. Whereas history is good because of the analytical skills needed for it.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (197)
27.86%
No (510)
72.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise