Monarchy, Keep them or not? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Evil-Tuna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I'm sure this has been done to death on D&D but i couldn't find any recent ones and so i thought it should be brought up again.

The Monarchy as an age old institution i believe should stay, not for patriotic reasons but fiscal ones. The provide far more economy to the community than removing them would release.
Person
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
How do they provide?
Speleo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
How do they provide?
Tourism.

But remove their priviliges anyway. Maybe we could sell them to the Americans...
Evil-Tuna
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I view their main attraction as tourism, i am not saying that all monarchy should be kept, but The main body of the royal family should be left unchanged.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Evil-Tuna)
I'm sure this has been done to death on D&D but i couldn't find any recent ones and so i thought it should be brought up again.

The Monarchy as an age old institution i believe should stay, not for patriotic reasons but fiscal ones. The provide far more economy to the community than removing them would release.
Are we that short of cash in the UK that we need to maintain the Monarchy for the benefit of a bunch of tourists? Is the UK really that third world?

Now, I am pro-monarchy but not because it benefits a bunch of camera wielding Japanese tourists. I cannot think of any argument more stupid than maintaining the monarchy (and therefore an entire system of governance) for the benefit of the tourist industry.
Douglas
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Now, I am pro-monarchy but not because it benefits a bunch of camera wielding Japanese tourists. I cannot think of any argument more stupid than maintaining the monarchy (and therefore an entire system of governance) for the benefit of the tourist industry.
If the queen showed up every day for a photo op, the japs would be there by the millions.

BTW, I'm in favor of maintaining the Monarchy for historical and sentimental reasons...........GOD SAVE THE QUEEN..........eerrr... ALLAH SAVE THE QUEEN
Speleo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If the queen showed up every day for a photo op, the japs would be there by the millions.
Please don't use that word on the forums, it's liable to offend people.
JonD
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think the balance of power between the de-politicised monarchy and government is the reason we've been stable and successful for centuries - more and longer than any other major country with democratic government.
SuperhansFavouriteAlsatian
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Japs is no more offensive than Brits. Get over it.

I think we should keep them for Tourism (what's with the third world crap, Howard? They gain the country more money in tax revenue than it costs us - ergo, they earn us money. Doing things that earn the country money at no cost isn't 'third world' like (which is itself horribly patronising to the third world), it's business), but also because that would mean the Prime Minister would be the head of state. I do NOT want a President Blair (and remember, we'd have to draw up a constitution before doing this), not to mention the fact that it would affect a lot more countries than just our own - the Queen is head of state of over 20 countries.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Speleo)
Please don't use that word on the forums, it's liable to offend people.
Oh, yeh.....that's really offensive. :rolleyes:
zooropa
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think the balance of power between the de-politicised monarchy and government is the reason we've been stable and successful for centuries - more and longer than any other major country with democratic government.
What about the United States? The Civil War only occured because of the issue of state rights, not because of a lack of a monarchy.

Besides, the only true constitutional monarchs were from William IV/Victoria onwards. British government in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries was hardly "democratic" considered most people didn't have the right to vote.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by DanGrover)
Japs is no more offensive than Brits. Get over it.

I think we should keep them for Tourism (what's with the third world crap, Howard? They gain the country more money in tax revenue than it costs us - ergo, they earn us money. Doing things that earn the country money at no cost isn't 'third world' like (which is itself horribly patronising to the third world), it's business), but also because that would mean the Prime Minister would be the head of state. I do NOT want a President Blair (and remember, we'd have to draw up a constitution before doing this), not to mention the fact that it would affect a lot more countries than just our own - the Queen is head of state of over 20 countries.
Can you please not use the word "ergo" It really gets on my t1ts. It's almost as bad as "viz" and "vis-a-vis" :rolleyes:
Lush Law
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Keep them.

They do bring a lot of money into the country, so economically they serve a purpose. Since they are deep-rooted in our heritage, it would be a shame to see them removed of their titles [not that it will ever happen].
JonD
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by zooropa)
What about the United States? The Civil War only occured because of the issue of state rights, not because of a lack of a monarchy.

Besides, the only true constitutional monarchs were from William IV/Victoria onwards. British government in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries was hardly "democratic" considered most people didn't have the right to vote.
Well, if you want to get into an argument about democratic purity, the US was hardly "democratic" until 1920.
Douglas
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by JonD)
Well, if you want to get into an argument about democratic purity, the US was hardly "democratic" until 1920.
Maybe even later than that, I think Al Capone and Machine Gun Kelly ran the country in the 20's
sherunsaway
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Flip a coin.
etomac
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Oh, yeh.....that's really offensive. :rolleyes:
Jap (jp)
n. Offensive Slang
Used as a disparaging term for a person of Japanese birth or descent

WOw.. I never knew that until I look it up
and I know this (but I dont find it offensive anyways)

Chi·na·man (chn-mn)
n. Offensive
A Chinese man.
cottonmouth
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Aaaargh i hate when people throw the tourism line. People never see the royal family- they come to see the palaces, the places the royals have visited, the monuments. they'd still be there if the royal family were gone. so get rid i say- and we'd still benefit from their so called tourism- without the expenses.
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Cup·board (cp-brd)
n. Offensive to wood.
A tall wooden device used for storing clothes.

EVERYTHING OFFENDS ME! YOU OFFEND ME!
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by cottonmouth)
Aaaargh i hate when people throw the tourism line. People never see the royal family- they come to see the palaces, the places the royals have visited, the monuments. they'd still be there if the royal family were gone. so get rid i say- and we'd still benefit from their so called tourism- without the expenses.
People wouldnt go there if they didnt think there was a chance of seeing the Queen. No one goes to any of the big castles that AREN'T residential palaces. It's no coincidence.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (61)
19.93%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (121)
39.54%
Nope, not that interesting (124)
40.52%

Watched Threads