Arrogant Americans Watch

This discussion is closed.
Apollo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Anne Coulter is the same as Pat Roberts- they're on tv but no one watches (except douglas apparently :p: )
psychic_satori
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by PadFoot90)
Anne Coulter is the same as Pat Roberts- they're on tv but no one watches (except douglas apparently :p: )
Well, that's a bit unfair. I'll credit Anne Coulter with being far wittier than Pat Roberts.
ArthurOliver
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The American state is a solo superpower, arrogance -shown by unilateral action and forceful expression- is expected.

The American people themselves are not at all arrogant--can't really think of a people that is tbh. [People say French, but haven't noticed myself.]

More Americans than any other nationals I've "known a few of" seem friendly, open and generous imo. Possibly Philippinos and Australians were as warm and gregarious, but I haven't known as many of 'em.
ancientone
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's unbelievable that anyone damns a whole nation. We are talking about millions of individuals-blanket statements about other races are one of the most dangerous of acts that can happen. Such things have led to war and destruction throughout history. This is not, however, to say that you can't be critical-I happen to think that whilst you shouldn't condemn a whole nation, that the States should be more willing to accept criticism from critical friends, and to admit that it doesn't always get everything right. There is real danger in mixing your sentiment about individuals with your sentiments about a state. There is similarly a danger in a national government that never thinks it makes a msitake.
Arry_Munk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ive met Americans all over the world including the US (obviously), and i dont really find they come across as arrogant, but they can be very dumb. Its like "oh your from London?" Im like "im from Kent". The're like "oh thats in Europe somewhere." I say "yeah its near Japan"
Socrates
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Its like "oh your from London?" Im like "im from Kent". The're like "oh thats in Europe somewhere." I say "yeah its near Japan"
:rofl: :toofunny:
SlyPie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Arry_Munk)
Ive met Americans all over the world including the US (obviously), and i dont really find they come across as arrogant, but they can be very dumb. Its like "oh your from London?" Im like "im from Kent". The're like "oh thats in Europe somewhere." I say "yeah its near Japan"
haha so true. I am American and I told a fellow American peer that I was going to England. She said "have fun in London..." I was like, um, okay. Yes London=England...COUGH

As for arrogant Americans, no. The British believe they are better than the rest of Europe and hence not "European" but good enough to have their own currency, etc.

Americans aren't arrogant-however, 2/3 of us are fat. Thankfully I'm not part of that bit...yet COUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (go genes, go genes)
So if anything, call us fat, not arrogant.
ThePenguinMafia
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by SlyPie)
haha so true. I am American and I told a fellow American peer that I was going to England. She said "have fun in London..." I was like, um, okay. Yes London=England...COUGH

As for arrogant Americans, no. The British believe they are better than the rest of Europe and hence not "European" but good enough to have their own currency, etc.

Americans aren't arrogant-however, 2/3 of us are fat. Thankfully I'm not part of that bit...yet COUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (go genes, go genes)
So if anything, call us fat, not arrogant.
The currency thing is mostly due to economic reasons. There are a few people who wish to cling to the pound for its own sake, but such people can and should be ignored.
And we don't believe we are better. We know. :cool:
The only major thing I've noticed about Americans is their double standards habit. I guess most nations are full of such people though.
milady
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah, i got that from people when i went to France. They equated Paris with France. And it was all 'did you enjoy Paris?' 'how was Paris' like I'd spent the whole time there. but i'm not american.

But I probably couldn't tell a Canadian accent from an American one. If someone said which American state they came from, it wouldn't mean anything to me (uh... is that on the east coast? oh the west, sorry.), and if they said which city, even less so. I don't expect them to know what i mean when i say 'new south wales'.
Alewhey
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hey, we are doing our bit trying not to use blanket statements, you do yours.

There are many reasons we haven't entered the euro (yet), europhobia being just a small part of it - the chief objections are economic

And nobody (or at least, only those with extreme viewpoints) would claim we are not European. If not European, then what? The UK, it seems to me, is culturally a little different from mainland Europe, but certainly not better (I'd probably err in the opposite direction).
Made in the USA
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Indus1986)
Two words. ANN COULTER. If the American people can let this piece of trash on a network news channel and beleive and support her then I have so say that yes, many Americans are arrogont, ill informed and obese (fact).
All the 24 hour cable TV news channels put Ann Coulter on because she is witty and entertaining, not really for any other reason.
Made in the USA
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm sure that if you came to the US, we'd all be blown away by your knowledge of American geography. :rolleyes:
harrison1984
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
American's Dumb? The richest nation in the world, with a strong economy, excellent edcucational system, that would put 11 year old Americans ahead of the 11 British kids in English and Maths, and who put the first man on the moon DUMB?

You must be rather Dumb. :rolleyes:
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 13 years ago
People all over the world have much more in common that we would choose to think.

We are all subject to arrogance to some extent - pride in our relevant nations is a good example.

We can all think of reasons why other nations should not be arrogant but tend to overlook reasons why we should not be arrogant.

We don't see arrogance in ourselves - only in others.

Are Americans more arrogant that Brits? Of course not - let's be a little more objective folks.

Why pick on one nation? Have a look at ourselves first before judging others.
SlyPie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by yawn)

Are Americans more arrogant that Brits? Of course not - let's be a little more objective folks.

Yeah, I agree with you--let's not judge others.....you damn arrogant Brit.
harrison1984
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
People all over the world have much more in common that we would choose to think.

We are all subject to arrogance to some extent - pride in our relevant nations is a good example.

We can all think of reasons why other nations should not be arrogant but tend to overlook reasons why we should not be arrogant.

We don't see arrogance in ourselves - only in others.

Fanstastic post. :congrats. England was once very powerful, imagine if it still was.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Alexdel)
The kind of statement is exactly what makes people think americans are ignorant. Criticising a system of not paying taxes, lax gun laws, racial divisions, where 1% of the population owns a majority of the country's wealth and even criticising the administration is not being anti-american is criticising a system that values capital rather than human lives.

That's the only country where I hear this nonsense of 'if u criticise america u r anti-american'....what utter rubbish...
What do you like about America?
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Indus1986)
many Americans are arrogont, ill informed and obese (fact).
So are the British, point?
SlyPie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
lol look at above ^^ Indus can't spell "arrogant"

Anyway, the British aren't exactly fit anymore either.....

Why criticize Americans when most of you haven't even been to America? At least if I criticize a country, I'd have lived or visited there for some time..geez. That's proper criticism.
Evil-Tuna
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's a natural reaction to dislike the Superpower when you aren't one, Britain experienced it, with our empire Just marchiong in and telling the country what religion to believe in and the like, Russia was generallynot liked by the Georgians and many other it opressed. The difference with america it is not Domination by force but mainly by economic might.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (54)
28.88%
No - I got the required grades (110)
58.82%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise