Arrogant Americans Watch

This discussion is closed.
screenager
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by harrison1984)
American's Dumb? The richest nation in the world, with a strong economy, excellent edcucational system, that would put 11 year old Americans ahead of the 11 British kids in English and Maths, and who put the first man on the moon DUMB?

You must be rather Dumb. :rolleyes:
Actually the British education system is a lot better than the american one and if you read The world according to Jeremy Clarkson you will learn how his friends in nasa have admitted putting a man on the moon was much easier than building concorde. Considering the population in america is more than 4 times greater than britain you are going to have more Genius people than us and that is why America is the richest nation in the world but it doesn't mean you are smarter it just means you are a bigger country
Evil-Tuna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by rewmck)
Actually the British education system is a lot better than the american one and if you read The world according to Jeremy Clarkson you will learn how his friends in nasa have admitted putting a man on the moon was much easier than building concorde. Considering the population in america is more than 4 times greater than britain you are going to have more Genius people than us and that is why America is the richest nation in the world but it doesn't mean you are smarter it just means you are a bigger country
I'm sorry, i'm all for being Derogatory towards america, but you dont think that anything Written by Clarkson would have a Wee bit of Bias. and Where is the Proof that British Education Is better than American, I agree with you but back it up man.
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Evil-Tuna)
Where is the Proof that British Education Is better than American, I agree with you but back it up man.
There are far more Nobel Prize winners that are products of American universities than anywhere else in the world.

Granted, they might not all originate from America but they migrate to US unis as they know this is where the best tertiary educational provision is provided.

At primary and secondary levels of education I remain unconvinced whether the US or Britain provide a better experience. Certainly, the best education in the world is provided by Finland, according to world rankings.
screenager
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm sorry, i'm all for being Derogatory towards america, but you dont think that anything Written by Clarkson would have a Wee bit of Bias. and Where is the Proof that British Education Is better than American, I agree with you but back it up man.
Obviously Clarkson would be biased but I don't think NASA want to make Britain look better and I think what he said was true because he wouldn't just put a complete lie in his book. Also building concorde probably was more difficult because it has to carry way more people than a rocket to the moon and when someone becomes an astronaut they know it is quite dangerous but flying on concorde has to be just as safe as every other plane or people wouldn't go on it, and I know people don't go on it anyway now but it was still safe until it developed a problem which could have been fixed but they didn't because the accidents had scared people into staying away from it. As for the proof of britain having a better education system, the world rankings of education systems always show britain being way above america at about number 8 in the world, google will show you.
Alewhey
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
All I know is, American SATs are hilariously easy for anyone with decent GCSEs.

ZING!
yawn
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by rewmck)
As for the proof of britain having a better education system, the world rankings of education systems always show britain being way above america at about number 8 in the world, google will show you.
I have spent some time on both google and yahoo trying to find the evidence that you say exists, that GB has a better education system than the US and is ranked around 8th in the world.

I have been unable to find any website that says just that - can you please provide the url link to back up your statement?

Thank you.
yawn
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Alewhey)

ZING!
When and where did you take them? I am trying to get information for the benefit of our 6th formers on where they can prepare for, and sit, the US SATS for applying to US unis.

I'm sure they will be reassured to know that you say they are that easy.
screenager
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
I have spent some time on both google and yahoo trying to find the evidence that you say exists, that GB has a better education system than the US and is ranked around 8th in the world.

I have been unable to find any website that says just that - can you please provide the url link to back up your statement?

Thank you.
I read about it in a paper a while ago and I remember my sister googling it to see if it was true and she found the same rankings on pretty much every site but I just tried finding them on google there now and couldn't find it so sorry I can't prove it but it is true
SuperhansFavouriteAlsatian
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
A lot of Americans are ignorant to things outside their borders because they don't affect them. With a country as large as the US, if you want hott sunshine you can go to Cali, if you want cold, skiing holidays you can go to the Rockies etc - sure, foreign culture can be nice, but if you want a cheaper holiday with people you can understand and laws you know, etc, why would you go abroad? This has the side affect of the most widly travelled americans being in the military, and a lot of those left at home have no idea what's going on outside their borders.

Of course, most British here only know so much about America because we're indoctrinated with their culture through TV.
saz_1989
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My favouritest American comment is when some idiots came to Britain and visited a certain castle. One came out with this gem: "what a lovely castle, but why did they build it so near the airport?". :rolleyes:

I guess that's what happens when your country has less history than my college's New Court.
psychic_satori
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Alewhey)

ZING!
Of course, they're not meant to be difficult, just meant to be something of an endurance challenge. So...yeah, we're all "zinged" (or "zung")
milady
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
There are far more Nobel Prize winners that are products of American universities than anywhere else in the world.

Granted, they might not all originate from America but they migrate to US unis as they know this is where the best tertiary educational provision is provided.

At primary and secondary levels of education I remain unconvinced whether the US or Britain provide a better experience. Certainly, the best education in the world is provided by Finland, according to world rankings.
Yeah, you're right.

What counts, in education, is where you're top people are. So that is basically post grad level.

Say your country has high overall literacy rates. Say tons of people are gaining degrees. If you don't have your brightest scientists at the same level in terms of researching and producing technological advances as another country's, then your education level isn't as high as theirs. So what if they have lower literacy rates.

Because a breakthrough at the highest level of maths, science, engineering ( or whatever) filters down. A patent is made, a company is able to produce a new and better product, that equals higher profits and more jobs, and so everyone benefits.

When you look at american unis, like yawn said, they have the most nobel prize winners. Imo, their unis are at the cutting edge of research (and so better with education). Not so much because they have a larger population, but because the funding is there. Harvard, for instance, is pretty well-off.
Amanda
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by DanGrover)
Firstly, don't rape me. I'm certainly not anti-American (hell, read back through the New Orleans debate threads and you'll see where my word lies) but it was raised in that thread about America's arrogance, and it started to go off topic, before going back to the OT. I wanted to make a comment, but not wishing to derail the thread, decided to make a new one.

My personal opinion is people tend not to think your average American is arrogant - a bit disalussioned, perhaps, but not really arrogant. However, the people that watch Team America and not catch it's irony are the really arrogant people. The ones who don't appreciate history for what it is, and vehemontly defend anything American just because it's American - I'm a patriotic Brit, but i admit our failings. These are the people that I find annoying, but I hardly think that America is alone in having these types of people.

However, i think that, on similar lines, one problem with, not just the US but the entire worlds opinion of the US, is that there seems no middle ground. People either tend to be 100%, unswervingly in favour of everything, or totally against everything, and it's only doing them harm.
So, have you ever been to America?
Bismarck
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I wonder if told the average Brit that I was from Brooklyn (which has a population of 2 million), how many would know where I'm from?
SuperhansFavouriteAlsatian
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I think you'd find very few people who don't know that Brooklyn is in New York, i'm serious. And yes, i have been to America 3 times.
Bismarck
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by DanGrover)
I think you'd find very few people who don't know that Brooklyn is in New York, i'm serious. And yes, i have been to America 3 times.
Especially since Brooklyn has a higher population than all but three cities in the US.
saz_1989
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Bismarck)
I wonder if told the average Brit that I was from Brooklyn (which has a population of 2 million), how many would know where I'm from?
It's in New York. My boyfriend ended up in a not-very-nice area and was told to turn his car around otherwise him and his friend would get shot! :eek:
milady
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
well, i only knew it was in ny from some book i read. (it also had a pedophile and typewriting in it. i learned quite a lot about typewriting).

Otherwise I would have no idea.

Why would people know that it was in ny? Very few non-americans would study american geog in any detail, so its unlikely they'd pick up facts like that any other way than osmosis. And unless they're incredibly interested in, eg, Seattle, this stuff is not going to sink in and remain in their memories.

certainly there are shows like law and order, but not every single person watches them.

i spent much of my life (a pretty dumb statement from someone my age, but still) with the notion that pearl harbour was on the mainland of the usa - why? well, no one ever talks about pearl harbour, hawaii, so why would i have assumed it was not on the mainland?
psychic_satori
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Bismarck)
I think Brooklyn is notorious enough to be widely known (I think Beckham and his Spice Girl named one of their kids that, which probably explains it :rolleyes: ). On the other hand, I've found that many believe Pittsburgh is somewhere in Austria, and Pennsylvania is in Romania. :cool:
Bismarck
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by milady)
Why would people know that it was in ny?
Because its population as twice as high as that of Britain's second largest city? If you people expect Americans to know where Kent is, surely you should know where Brooklyn is.

(Original post by psychic_satori)
I think Brooklyn is notorious enough to be widely known (I think Beckham and his Spice Girl named one of their kids that, which probably explains it :rolleyes: ). On the other hand, I've found that many believe Pittsburgh is somewhere in Austria, and Pennsylvania is in Romania. :cool:
You mean they aren't? :eek:

(Original post by Lauren)
It's in New York. My boyfriend ended up in a not-very-nice area and was told to turn his car around otherwise him and his friend would get shot! :eek:
Well they weren't shot, so the city can't be that bad.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (147)
27.68%
No (384)
72.32%

Watched Threads