Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I liked it at GCSE I learnt such a lot about Christianity and Judaism. And I can actually remember some of it now, woo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyboy123)
    I liked it personally and am doing it for A level now. I think it depends what course youre doing. A lot of schools only do a short course which kinda makes it pointless but if you do a full course with interesting topics then its good. We did Islam and christianity which is really interesting how the two religious are similar in some ways but not others.

I think you must have done a different one to us sherunsaway as we only got 75% without opinions but then there are loads of different rs courses
    In what ways are Islam and Chritianity similar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frosty Phantom)
    RS is quite useful for Law because it involves debating, analytical and essay writing skills. I really enjoy this course, and don't think it's a waste of time at all

Edit: A Law course at uni, not the A level subject, although it might be true for both.

I see that you do English Literature, RS and Economics, which I am considering doing - do they complement each other well? Would you recommend them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usa1981)
    In what ways are Islam and Chritianity similar?
    They are both monotheistic. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pikaboo)
    They are both monotheistic. :cool:
    I knew that but I was really asking, flyboy123.
    Thank you for your response, pikaboo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeski)
    omg even my RE teacher told us that GCSE RE is crap! he knows that you cant do much with it, its just another GCSE! now its sooooooooooooooooo stupid that we have to spend an hour every week on RE when it could be spent on FAR MORE IMPORTANT SUBS like English, Maths or whatever!! come on, its a pure waste of time! as if we dont have enough course work to do we get another set of sourse work that will not benefit us in ne way!!! im raging!!! :mad: :mad:

:tsr: lol
    now calm down! I had RE every day of the week, we had a debate about this a while back anon53's tread if I remember correctly and my viewpoint is exactly the same as prevously shown on TSR. I am a totally for Religion in schools, because I believe it needs to be taught and understood by its students to get the full impact of what Jesus' message was to his people, also in Northern Ireland might I add Religious Education is complusary just like English Maths and Science so you cannot get out of it :p: xoxo

ReputationRep:
    It's a waste of space....puh-leez one does not learn or absorb anything in R.E. one simply regurgitates Bible quotes and opinions and does not even go into other religions. And ladies and gents, that's how I got my A* in RE.

ReputationRep:
    I had my first compulsory AS RE lesson today... we sat and watched the Matrix. And we're doing that for the next 2 lessons too. Rock on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *daniEllE*)
    Okay, I think that RE is actually quite hard! I go to a Catholic school, so we do the Mark's Gospel paper and another paper (on issues such as abortion). For the Mark's Gospel paper, you have to memorise so many stories in great detail...I suppose it's not difficult in that as long as you can remember the details and the arguments, you get the marks (which is actually the case in many subjects), but I haven't got a fantastic memory... Well, I am considering doing RS A level.
    I done that option to. I got an A* and I think that was mainly due to my good memory. I memorised pratically the whole of Marks Gospel, tried to remember points for and against different issues so it really wasn't all that bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    I don't understand how people can't find it interesting.
    I know. I always thought it was quite interesting during GCSE especially seeing how beliefs varied and sometimes contradicted each other but its really interesting now im doing it for A level. You debate such interesting things. Everyone whos doing it loves it and this is only the first week!! definatly recomend it to anyone thinking of taking it and i think the only reason people say its pointless is eithe because they dont understand it or they are too closed minded to think that we are unnecessary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzilee)
    I had my first compulsory AS RE lesson today... we sat and watched the Matrix. And we're doing that for the next 2 lessons too. Rock on.
    :eek: what you are joking arent you? AS RE concerning the matrix....that aint mentioned much on the syllabus anyway :rolleyes: I think your teacher needs to get sorted and start teaching! I've already began my AS RE course with two different teachers (the reformation and John's gospel) and have nearly finished Apostolic Authorship xoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyboy123)
    I know. I always thought it was quite interesting during GCSE especially seeing how beliefs varied and sometimes contradicted each other but its really interesting now im doing it for A level. You debate such interesting things. Everyone whos doing it loves it and this is only the first week!! definatly recomend it to anyone thinking of taking it and i think the only reason people say its pointless is eithe because they dont understand it or they are too closed minded to think that we are unnecessary
    :ditto:!!!!! xoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tammy_girl)
    :eek: what you are joking arent you? AS RE concerning the matrix....that aint mentioned much on the syllabus anyway :rolleyes: I think your teacher needs to get sorted and start teaching! I've already began my AS RE course with two different teachers (the reformation and John's gospel) and have nearly finished Apostolic Authorship xoxo
    We do the same exam that the people who do 5 lessons a week do at the end of the year... hmm...

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's pointless. If it's taught properly then you can really gain alot from it, and understand the others cultures around you. So many things in society are affected by religion, it's a bit silly to say it's pointless. Besides, if you got a good extra grade that you wouldn't have had otherwise, then it can't be pointless. I wish our school would've let us sit it at GCSE because I definitely would've done it. They make you drop it in year nine. For some reason, my college doesn't have it as a course either.

ReputationRep:
    don't think it's pointless. If it's taught properly then you can really gain alot from it, and understand the others cultures around you. So many things in society are affected by religion, it's a bit silly to say it's pointless. Besides, if you got a good extra grade that you wouldn't have had otherwise, then it can't be pointless.
    :yy:
    Very true

You also learn debating skills which aren't useless,
    I personally love RS it is one of my favourite subjects ( not because it is easy and i am good at it because i am good at a lot of other subjects too.)

ReputationRep:
    I don't think RS is at all pointless - though some of the courses are better than others. I'm doing the Philosophy course, and it's one of my favourite lessons. We learn a lot of skills in a variety of areas: debating, essay writing and text analysis to name a few. As well as Philosophy-related knowledge we pick up lot of current affairs, and have all formed opinions on many issues.

But my teacher does say the syllabus is pretty constricting, and we end up verging way off it to fill up lesson time, doing AS and A-Level stuff. But it's really fun, and really interesting, and easy without being a pushover!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WantA*)
    I agree.

I didnt do ANYTHING for RS for 5 years, years 7-11 and got an A* in RS GCSE. I did do some revision just before the exam !!!!!!!!!! Couldnt believe it
    lol for GCSE (2 yrs) i talked with my friends for 100% of the time, the 4 of us who did the least work got the best grades.

We got shouted at all the time and the teacher called us lazy *******s and expected nothing. My 3 friends got A*s in RS and i got an A lol.

ReputationRep:
    I think the A level Philosophy and Ethics course is great. It leads us (well, me, anyway) to think deeper about what I really think about important stuff every single lesson, and outside the classroom too.

(Original post by red_roadkill)
    You're all *****.

RS is an excellent subject. It was my favourite A-level subject behind History. I don't understand how you can just slate it and say it's "rubbish" and a "waste" when it deals with very important issues.

You know, by replying in this thread and ****ging it off, you're only conforming to the very unattractive stereotype of people who always slate RS [throughout 6th I used to get people "why do you take it?" mockingly].

I don't understand how people can't find it interesting.
    I agree with you!

ReputationRep:
    i dont mind religion, i actually think its interesting (lol i probably sound like a big geek like) but you have to take in a lot of information

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Do you have any savings?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.