Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey i did R.E in year 10 just to get is out of the way..i got a B.
    i wouldnt say its a waste of time though..at leasts its teaches u something depends on what your doing for your GCSE R.E..we did Mark's Gospel which is kinda interesting...
    good luck anyways to all those doing R.E

ReputationRep:
    I choose to do RS and i really enjoyed the topics we did
    - abortion and euthanasia
    - drugs
    - society
    - existance of God
    - world povery
    - rich and poor in society
    and a few more

i think it helped that I had 2 teachers with very different view (one was christian and the other was agnostic)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RudyKatoch)
    It's a waste of space....puh-leez one does not learn or absorb anything in R.E. one simply regurgitates Bible quotes and opinions and does not even go into other religions. And ladies and gents, that's how I got my A* in RE.
    Excuse me but what planet are you living on......I've learned a lot in my religion class and I am taking it on for A level, it ties in with plenty of different subjects like sociology, you do learn something you learn about the time of Jesus, the kind of things they celebrated, the Jewish way of life and the laws and culture established in Palestine at that particular time - Relgion is actually a very easy subject to pass - you needed 42 marks with both papers added up to pass religion, its still seen as a GCSE and it isn't a 'mickey mouse' one either so give over and religion is not a waste of space, time nor effort, the subject allows us to be able to learn how to debate, look at both sides of an argument and to understand our religion and the different religions in our culture! xoxo
    --------------
    (Original post by Niaya)
    I choose to do RS and i really enjoyed the topics we did
    - abortion and euthanasia
    - drugs
    - society
    - existance of God
    - world povery
    - rich and poor in society
    and a few more

i think it helped that I had 2 teachers with very different view (one was christian and the other was agnostic)
    :ditto: however I only had one teacher and she was Roman Catholic with Catholistic methods and views, however that was my topics for religion anyway, - The Christian life and St. Marks Gospel and the Effects of the Roman Catholic Tradition upson aspects of Christian lifestyles and behaviour xoxo

ReputationRep:
    RS was the best lesson EVER!!! We never did any work and at the end I just looked over a few books before the exam and came out with an A*.

I think it is a worthwhile subject as it is an A* without doing anything!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjtailor)
    RS was the best lesson EVER!!! We never did any work and at the end I just looked over a few books before the exam and came out with an A*.

I think it is a worthwhile subject as it is an A* without doing anything!!!
    Religion is mostly all bloody common sense! xoxo

ReputationRep:
    My syllabus is "Religion and Life", so it hasn't really got anything to do with the religion itself... we don't learn about the Bible or the life of Jesus or anything. It's mainly what attitudes each religion has to moral issues, like abortion, premarital sex, racism etc. I suppose it's quite worthwhile, but I daresay it is quite easy to get a good grade. All the questions follow a set pattern ("Explain..." "Outline..." "Define..." "Do you agree...") and if you regurgitate the textbook in the set answer frame you can get full marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    It's mainly what attitudes each religion has to moral issues, like abortion, premarital sex, racism etc. I suppose it's quite worthwhile, but I daresay it is quite easy to get a good grade. All the questions follow a set pattern ("Explain..." "Outline..." "Define..." "Do you agree...") and if you regurgitate the textbook in the set answer frame you can get full marks.

Yeah of course its going to be like that, nearly every other subject is like that, all the questions reworded to make you think also the 'Do you agree' wants you to show two different sides towards the argument thats another method of getting full marks, because thats what the examiners want, In my religion class out of 25, 20 people achieved A*-A's and the remaining 5 achieved B's because my Religion teacher 'beat home the lecture' she repetited everything until it stuck in our heads - I can still recite nearly all the bible passages and parables I had to learn for GCSE and a lot of the arguments for and against euthanasia, abortion, and how we as Christians should treat others in our community etc.... - it is a worthwhile subject and if it was abandoned, how would you learn about the fundamental issues regarding your faith? the churches morals on how it should be run? etc......- I'd prefer people to know and learn about their faith because its actually nice to know how and why your religion states this that and the other.... xoxo

ReputationRep:
    I actually enjoyed R.E. got an A* in my mock and then a B in my actual exam. I did really well on the Catholic christianity paper and then not so well on my Mark's Gospel due to my teacher being away for 2 months and just having supply teachers for Mark's Gospel which where hopeless. Yet you are moaning about having 1 lesson a week, I had 3 at GCSE and now have 50 minutes a week in General R.E.

ReputationRep:
    ah i think it's a waste too! lol that's only cos it mucked up my life where uni is concerned..ooh just realised this is a gcse thing lol..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by button16)
    I actually enjoyed R.E. got an A* in my mock and then a B in my actual exam. I did really well on the Catholic christianity paper and then not so well on my Mark's Gospel due to my teacher being away for 2 months and just having supply teachers for Mark's Gospel which where hopeless. Yet you are moaning about having 1 lesson a week, I had 3 at GCSE and now have 50 minutes a week in General R.E.
    You had only 3 lessons a week? I had lessons in Religion every day and I still do because I brought the subject to AS/A2 xoxo

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.