Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone else seem overwhelmed with college/6th form? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    My college has a weird policy of not allowing Jan modular exams unless you excel, they think its too early and students just aren't prepared. I dont think its right that they make that decision-- there are countless number of people taking January modulars, and the exam board wouldnt have them in place if students weren't ready!! So now i gotta prove my ability as exceptional among the class (i'm not exceptional), or i'm buggered with a minimum of 12 modulars in June. No wonder the grades are so low at college?! why not spread the exams?!?! My biology teacher tried to console us by informing us last year's biology students had all three biology papers in one day...(!)
    Yep, my sixth form does the same ~ no January exams!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by che_guevara)
    Ahhh...don't worry, or at least try not to! First of all, you'll settle in soon enough, and make friends with people who are in your lessons. Just smile and say hello to people...it makes a lot of difference. Your AS choices are brill - don't change them. You're more than capable of doing it, and if you want to apply to top unis, they'll really respect your choices. Stick with the languages. Languages are really respected as few people take them to AS/A2, and linguists are sought after. DON'T do Media, cos its overated and not respected (sorry to Media students). Law may be difficult, but go for it - you can always drop it after AS.
    Stick with it for now, work hard and you'll do really well.
    Oh, and smile!
    Thanks! I'm giving it a little while... if I still hate it in a few weeks (maybe half term) then I can move to the local college to be with all my friends. I've stuck with Law and it seems OK... I had it second lesson this morning and then I get it again last lesson tomorrow. Actually, I get it everyday! IN FACT, looking at my timetable I get everything every day except English which I get twice two days. URGH. (I hate my timetable). But yep, linguistics... that's me! And I think I'm going to find Spanish most difficult... which is strange because it should be my easiest! But NEVER MIND!

All I can do is go back again and try and make the best of it... right? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Ok I posted her yesterday when I didn't start lessons... but after having them today I'm starting to feel quite dumb. French just went straight over my head. And that was 'bridging the gap' work. I'll blame it on being rusty :p:
    I'm sure I'll find German and English Literature overwhelming too....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veryrandom)
    Ok I posted her yesterday when I didn't start lessons... but after having them today I'm starting to feel quite dumb. French just went straight over my head. And that was 'bridging the gap' work. I'll blame it on being rusty :p:
    I'm sure I'll find German and English Literature overwhelming too....
    I came out of my first few German lessons crying, (very unlike me!) I almost got an A at the end of AS too, so don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    I came out of my first few German lessons crying, (very unlike me!) I almost got an A at the end of AS too, so don't worry about it.
    :eek:! Everyone keeps going on about how bad it is... especially the grammar?! Oh what have I lead myself into... best not wear mascara on monday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veryrandom)
    :eek:! Everyone keeps going on about how bad it is... especially the grammar?! Oh what have I lead myself into... best not wear mascara on monday!
    Hmm true. What upset me was the fact she spoke constantly in German and I didn't have a clue what she was saying, I didn't really know what the homework was (there was tonnes) :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    Hmm true. What upset me was the fact she spoke constantly in German and I didn't have a clue what she was saying, I didn't really know what the homework was (there was tonnes) :s:
    We were warned in French today that from now on the teacher isn't going to speak any more English! :eek: I'm in a weird situation... I did French in Year 10 so haven't done any for a year. The work we're set I get on fine (so far) but if I have to pull out random words I struggle. And if I'm spoken to by the teacher in French I struggle too. But I've told both of them my situation and they've said they'd try and help me.

Then Spanish is my baby, I'm meant to be good at it! But so far its all gone wheeee over my head which scares me. There's 7 of us in the class and the other 6 are from the lower school of the sixth form I'm at. And I think they did the writing/grammar exam whereas I did coursework... *gulp*

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.