This discussion is closed.
_EMMA_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
i was wondering if somebody could expalin how the reactions goes through the body? i know some, that there is nerv impulses that goes to the brain and spinal cord but i don't know the name of the system nor the name of the different nerves.

i have looked in my biology book with no succes (strangely) anyway i would really appreciate if somebody could help me.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by _EMMA_)
i was wondering if somebody could expalin how the reactions goes through the body? i know some, that there is nerv impulses that goes to the brain and spinal cord but i don't know the name of the system nor the name of the different nerves.

i have looked in my biology book with no succes (strangely) anyway i would really appreciate if somebody could help me.
The nervous system? action potentials? why do you need to know names of different nerves? narrow it down a bit and i'll be happy to help.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

The motor or neurone functions?
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
The motor or neurone functions?
What do you mean by motor or neurone functions? I thought it was motor/sensory etc. Neurones are just the basic building block...?
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ummm

There's the stimulus (light, heat, whatever) that's picked up by a receptor (in skin or eye or whatever). That goes through a sensory neurone to the Co-Ordinator (either the brain or spinal cord) which sends a message through a motor neurone to the effector (muscles in whatever part of body) to make the response (hand moved away from hot thingy).

I think...
_EMMA_
Rep:
?
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
What do you mean by motor or neurone functions? I thought it was motor/sensory etc. Neurones are just the basic building block...?
it is motor/sensory. what is the system called that the brain and spinal cord make?
_EMMA_
Rep:
?
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Ummm

There's the stimulus (light, heat, whatever) that's picked up by a receptor (in skin or eye or whatever). That goes through a sensory neurone to the Co-Ordinator (either the brain or spinal cord) which sends a message through a motor neurone to the effector (muscles in whatever part of body) to make the response (hand moved away from hot thingy).

I think...
thank you
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
it is motor/sensory. what is the system called that the brain and spinal cord make?
The nervous system, which is divided into the Somatic and Autonomic (Sympathetic and Parasympathetic) nervous systems.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Ummm

I think...
I thought that in the case of the reflex arc, the action potential bypasses the brian and is only regulated by the spinal nerves?
_EMMA_
Rep:
?
The nervous system, which is divided into the Somatic and Autonomic (Sympathetic and Parasympathetic) nervous systems.
thank you
_EMMA_
Rep:
?
I thought that in the case of the reflex arc, the action potential bypasses the brian and is only regulated by the spinal nerves?
you are confusing me a little, am not very good at biology so i apologise for my stupid questions but is it so that the refelxes and reactions uses the same system and that reflexes is just faster?
Chris_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
you are confusing me a little, am not very good at biology so i apologise for my stupid questions but is it so that the refelxes and reactions uses the same system and that reflexes is just faster?
It is called the central nervous system (or CNS for short), not just the 'nervous system'.

For the somatic reflex arc, the impulse does bypass the brain and is passed through an interconnector neurone in the spinal cord which then relays this to the correct effector (a muscle or gland).

I dont know how much detail you need to go into so Ill leave it at that..
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They're the same thing. But some, such as the knee jerk reflex and response to pain are faster because they are dealt with unconsciously by the spinal cord rather than going into the brain and us having to think about them, even for a split-second.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (2)
66.67%
Yes- I don't like it (0)
0%
No- I want it (1)
33.33%
No- I don't want it (0)
0%

Watched Threads