The Student Room Group

Have i dug myself a big big hole?

Bonjour tout le monde!

I would really appreciate a wee bit of help and advice because im really worried about university and the choices i made for as-level. If anyone can please help me i will be very very grateful! :biggrin: thanks!

I have just got my as results and i got

English Lit/LAng - a
Art - a
Politics - b
Design - b

I am going to retake some parts of design and politics to hopefully get As.

This year for A-levels i am taking Politics, English lit/lang, art and i am picking up an as in french. I will also be taking both the as and a level general studies exams.

At uni i really want to study english and/or politics and i am lookig at places like york, kent, reading, sussex, warwick, brum and even possibly cambridge :confused: lol. The only trouble is that some of my teachers think that art may cause a problem getting onto the course i want to do..... :frown: :frown:

Please does anyone have any past experience/knowledge of this or any advice about how to help me get in?

Thanks!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Crispy
xxxx
Reply 1
My friend wanted to do speech and language therapy with maths, english, and art as her a levels. She was worried art would limit her choices but it seems she has got onto the course she wanted to at Manchester so it hasn't really been a problem. You are doing the most relevant subjects (english and politics) so i think it will be ok for you.
You seem to be fine with your grades and choices, although I'm not sure if you need to retake politics units... just depends what your UMS are like. I'm convinced you'd be able to achieve an A in it without. Personally i wouldn't bother with Gen stud, as it isn't valued to highly by most unis. Instead take an AS history or AS Geog, as they won't set you back too much. Le français est une très bonne idée. Mais enfin, c'est ta décision.
Reply 3
All my friends who did art at A level got ended up at good unis for unrelated courses:

Warwick - Politics
Oxford - English
Loughborough - Drama
Bath - Business

I don't think doing Art at A level limits your chances at all. On the contrary, I think unis appreciate the amount of effort involved and the variety of skills necessary to do Art A level.
Reply 4
I seem to recall that Cambridge don't count art, though I could be mistaken.
Reply 5
one of my friends who go into cambridge to do chinese studies (shes not chinese..don't ask) she did art, drama, english and theology a levels...and got A in all of them....i would retake modules if u want cause its harder in a2 year ... u are less likely to make up the marks....yeah def ditch general sudies if u can.....its practically worthless...and maybe do 4 a levels instead or something
Reply 6
That's 3 "academic" As at A level btw, so excluding art she still had the grades.

Latest

Trending

Trending