Turn on thread page Beta

Maths and Further Maths watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me if this combination is valid:

Maths c1-4 and d1-2,
    Further maths fp1-2, s1-2 and m1-2

Our teacher didn;t seem very willing to let us do d1 and d2 if we were doing s1 and s2 as well, though he thinks everyone should do m1-5. So are the above cominations valid?

Also can I change the way school have cashed in my result? Instead of being c1, c2 and m1 I would like to cash in c1, c2 and c3.

Any answers appreciated.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'm not sure your further maths combo is valid. You need more A2 modules in there, like 2's and 3's.

Also, if you cash in C3 that will mess up your others, as you need that as an A2 not as AS.

ReputationRep:
    Your maths combo is definately valid, but I'm not sure whether you have to take at least 3 pure modules in Further Maths, e.g. FP1-3 along with 3 applied topics rather than just FP1-2 and 4 applied topics. Better check that over at the edexcel website.

ReputationRep:
    no the syllabus has changed, you need either FP2 or FP3 or both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkenergy)
    no the syllabus has changed, you need either FP2 or FP3 or both.
    Yes.

See this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=130812

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks for all that. I've already seen the mentioned thread about the pure side of things hence realising I could have it as above and was more concerned about the applied bits. I think I'll try and email edexcel and see whether I can gain any clarity on the situation.

ReputationRep:
    I know at least on my exam board (Edexcel) you can only include one applied "1" module (i.e M1, S1, D1) in the Further Maths A Level. So you'd have to switch D2 with M1 or S1.

ReputationRep:
    no that was the new syllabus, I had S1 and D1 for further maths.

ReputationRep:
    I don't particular mind doing all the pure, it's just the later mechanics modules are scary. I'm finding fp1 relatively easy, just finished the chapter first order differential equations, how much harder does it get between now and fp3?

ReputationRep:
    FP3 is only a little more difficult than FP1 in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    FP3 is only a little more difficult than FP1 in my opinion.
    My opinion is the same too. FP2 is supposed to be pretty easy, but don't take it for granted; it can be a real killer, like it was this summer!

PK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssmoose)
    I don't particular mind doing all the pure, it's just the later mechanics modules are scary. I'm finding fp1 relatively easy, just finished the chapter first order differential equations, how much harder does it get between now and fp3?
    lot of new stuff in FP3, which takes ages to get your head around (for me anyway). I spent more time on P6 than p4 and P5 combined:eek:, but it paid off in the end cos it was the only math module i got 100/100 on, lol...work for any module and you can get 100...take Gaz for example...guy is shear genius :cool:

ReputationRep:
    strangely enough people doing f.maths in my class found FP2 much easier than FP3, but I thought I messed up FP3 which I didn't. I am sticking with the notion that FP3 is easier than FP2!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    lot of new stuff in FP3, which takes ages to get your head around (for me anyway). I spent more time on P6 than p4 and P5 combined:eek:, but it paid off in the end cos it was the only math module i got 100/100 on, lol...work for any module and you can get 100...take Gaz for example...guy is shear genius :cool:
    100? wow. Gaz is a true mathmo :eek: but he lost a mark in FP1.. :biggrin: :rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :toofunny: :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    Well... my friend is doing FP1, M2 and D1 for a Further Maths AS... don't know if that helps clarify the situation.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any ideas how long edexcel take to anser queries like this?

ReputationRep:
    I thought they take infinitely long dealing with these matters.

ReputationRep:
    I thought they take infinitely long dealing with these matters.
    To answer my query mentioned above and covered in this post:

...took Edexcel about 10-14 days, but this was well before the exam season.

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aitch)
    To answer my query mentioned above and covered in this post:

...took Edexcel about 10-14 days, but this was well before the exam season.

Aitch
    If you're thinking of submitting a query, remember to make it impersonal if you want any chance of getting an answer. Using I or me or my should be considered forbidden!

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    ok lol

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 11, 2005

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.