Anyone doing AQA A2 English language specification A ??? Watch

Mikei
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
The exams on thursday but i dont have a proper technique of revising for it .. anybody confident with this exam?
Cronin13
Report 9 years ago
Not confident in the slightest, trying to use revision cards now but there's like 100 theorists and 100 terms to try remember so fml
Cutiek8i
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mikei)
The exams on thursday but i dont have a proper technique of revising for it .. anybody confident with this exam?
hello, i am too!
arghh I'm so unconfident about it
I've not really got a revision technique down, either
I'm so confused about the actual paper, and what I should be revising the most :eek3:
What are you focusing on?
Cutiek8i
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Cronin13)
Not confident in the slightest, trying to use revision cards now but there's like 100 theorists and 100 terms to try remember so fml
oooh, could I ask, which theorists have you got for political correctness?
Our teacher kinda shoved a list on to us but didn't really explain them out
Cronin13
Report 9 years ago
Not sure iv got any for political correctness, we have only been taught child language acquisition and history of the English language so sorry can't help there
userdloat
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I haven't a clue what theorists i'm using except for Milroy, Cheshire, Trudgill, Rosewarme and sebba/hewitt all in accent and dialect, not sure about any for language change? anyone know any?
Cutiek8i
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not sure iv got any for political correctness, we have only been taught child language acquisition and history of the English language so sorry can't help there

I thought Child Lang Acquisition was last years paper, AS?
Oh christ, please don't tell me i've been revising the wrong stuff
KJ1010
Report 9 years ago
Im REALLY stressing out for this exam.
I have no idea what im doing.
Our teacher decided to not bother teaching us language discourses so i have no idea what its even about! Anyone have any theories of political correctness?
For the person who asked for language change theories i have these:

1. Random Fluctuation - language change is due to changing contexts of language & random errors within language affect change

2. Lexical Gaps - Gaps refer to words that are no longer in use so alternate forms are generated

3. Substratum Theory - Influence of different forms of languages that come into contact with English affects how it changes.

4. Functional Theory - change occurs according to users needs, technology also affects change.

5. Sapir Whorf hypothesis - language percedes thought and controls it - human thought only possible through language not sure where you would ever use this...
KJ1010
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Cutiek8i)
haha, me too! Language acquistion isn't on this paper
Cronin13
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Cutiek8i)
Might be just different for us, think I did political correctness last year for AS concerning gender in society etc, but were defiantly doing Child language acquisition and history of the English language here, try contact someone in your class or a teacher if you worried :woo:
userdloat
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yehh lang acquisition is last years on the spec A but it's a2 on the spec B, so they're probs doin spec B
Cutiek8i
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Might be just different for us, think I did political correctness last year for AS concerning gender in society etc, but were defiantly doing Child language acquisition and history of the English language here, try contact someone in your class or a teacher if you worried :woo:
That could be true, ta :grin:
and yup, just sent a text now
Cutiek8i
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by KJ1010)
haha, me too! Language acquistion isn't on this paper
*recovers from mini heart attack* thanks, I was getting in a right state haha! :p:
userdloat
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Im REALLY stressing out for this exam.
I have no idea what im doing.
Our teacher decided to not bother teaching us language discourses so i have no idea what its even about! Anyone have any theories of political correctness?
For the person who asked for language change theories i have these:

1. Random Fluctuation - language change is due to changing contexts of language & random errors within language affect change

2. Lexical Gaps - Gaps refer to words that are no longer in use so alternate forms are generated

3. Substratum Theory - Influence of different forms of languages that come into contact with English affects how it changes.

4. Functional Theory - change occurs according to users needs, technology also affects change.

5. Sapir Whorf hypothesis - language percedes thought and controls it - human thought only possible through language not sure where you would ever use this...

Thanks Could be useful, though the last one is deffo confusing lol
KJ1010
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by userdloat)
Thanks Could be useful, though the last one is deffo confusing lol
No probs, i know they're not very good but better than nothing i suppose! The last one makes no sense at all lol
Mikei
No probs, i know they're not very good but better than nothing i suppose! The last one makes no sense at all lol
yeah the whole sapir whorf thing is unnecessary lool but its in the book soo i gess it wouldnt hurt to have a bit of knowledge about it
KJ1010
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mikei)
yeah the whole sapir whorf thing is unnecessary lool but its in the book soo i gess it wouldnt hurt to have a bit of knowledge about it
Yeah thats what i thought, i've just tried to remember all of the book haha!

Do you have any theories for political correctness? I couldn't find any in the text book
Cutiek8i
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Does anybody have any theories regarding Section B of the paper?
I've dug out a summary of the course my teacher gave me waayyy back in September, and the question choices of said section will be based on the following headings....
-International, regional and social accents and dialects
-Language Change
-Gender and Interaction
-Political Correctness

So if anyone is particularly hot on one (or more) of those subjects, please would you be inclined to to let me/others on this thread know? :grin: I'll offer positive rep as an incentive to the most useful? :p:
Mikei

Do you have any theories for political correctness? I couldn't find any in the text book
I found ONE lol :confused: , Swift and Miller - their theory about non-gender marked pronouns like 'ter' instead of 'him' or 'her'. Its on page 30 of the Nelson Thornes book if thats the one you have.
eshoy
Report 9 years ago

One of my english teachers told me to include Jean Aitchisons: 'A Web of Worries' on the subject of political correctness.
I've tried to find out what this includes and found this article:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&client=safari
to be quite helpful!
I think the main theory to focus on when talking about it is the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis although it is ultra confusing to explain

to put it best: The sapir-whorf hypothesis sums up the concept of linguistic determinism. The main principle of the sapir-whorf hypothesis is that language precedes thought and controls it

other linguists have tackled the problem of the relationship between language and thought from the other way around: that language is simply a reflection of the way that we are and think. However if this is the case then why do discriminatory terms come about? (link to PC)

Hope this helps and isn't REALLY confusing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (164)
17.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (82)
8.72%
No I am happy with my course choice (560)
59.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (134)
14.26%

Watched Threads