Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
These are the stats I got from Clare:

"26 candidates applied to read Philosophy, 3 were made offers, 3 were
pooled (none were taken)"

It seems like such a shame that I missed out when I was soooo close! I was one of the three pooled. So I was wondering if there were many people in my position who were thinking of reapplying? Would it be worth it in your opinion? And can any of you think of anything respectable (but not a la travel-around-the-world type of thing) to do during the gap year?

Would it be unadvisable to apply to the same college again? Or would it be beneficial if they remember how far I got last time?

Can I take a gap after I get my A2 results? i.e. if i accept york (ABB) and then my grades are all A's, can I change my mind and reapply to cambridge?

Please advise me someone, I'm so confused!!
Tina
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i think ull have to check this but apparently you can ask york to defer the offer for a year???
also its now quite acceptable to get a job and earn money in a gap year,maybe do some charity work as well?
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
ohh and u did really well to get pooled out of 26 applicants so well done anyway.
Lurker
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I know you're disappointed at not getting a place, but I have to say well done - 3 pooled out of the remaining 23? You must've been an excellent applicant to get that far.

On re-applying, I'm sure I read somewhere that unsuccessful applicants are welcome to re-apply but should probably choose a different college to avoid repeating the same interview as the previous year.
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
"26 candidates applied to read Philosophy, 3 were made offers, 3 were
pooled (none were taken)"

It seems like such a shame that I missed out when I was soooo close! I was one of the three pooled. So I was wondering if there were many people in my position who were thinking of reapplying? Would it be worth it in your opinion? And can any of you think of anything respectable (but not a la travel-around-the-world type of thing) to do during the gap year?
Would it be unadvisable to apply to the same college again? Or would it be beneficial if they remember how far I got last time?

Can I take a gap after I get my A2 results? i.e. if i accept york (ABB) and then my grades are all A's, can I change my mind and reapply to cambridge?
If you want to give it another go-do so. Though i would suggest NOT to apply to the same college!! At our debriefing at Pembroke, the Head hist. guy said he strongly suggested against it. For tho' the candidate may be suitable for the Ox (or Cam), the profs have made their decision and if asked again to do so would more than probably stick their original decision. As they believe they have already "assessed" one's potential. Plus, in my opinion, more often that not it emphasised to the tutor's one's desire to be admitted the college/uni rather than pursue one's passion. Especially if the candidate had not opted orginally to take a gapyear.
If you accept York's offer and meet their grade requirements, it is a binding contract...you have to go..unless they agree to free you from the obligation.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Write to Clare and ask them whether they think it would be wise to apply there again. You should get a fairly nice reply, and if you oil it a little with the fact you really wanted to go there, but are concerned that they'd have squillions of applicants again they're likely to give you a fairly honest answer about whether you're likely to get in. It may be that Clare usually gets applicants that would beat you and you'd be better off applying to a less competitive college if you wanted to come to cam.

Good luck anyhow

Alaric.
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well, if you take a gap year, you have to be able to explain what it is that you've done to any prospective employer. If you're able to do something very impressive, I'd re-apply for univ. Of course, you do run the huge risk of being rejected again though. I guess if you think the gap year is likely to add something special to your next application, then it seems a good step. If your gap year isn't likely to add anything then...

The only problem you may encounter is that for many worthwhile activities you'd need an early application, so the deadlines may have passed or are about to.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
(Original post by J.S.)
Well, if you take a gap year, you have to be able to explain what it is that you've done to any prospective employer. If you're able to do something very impressive, I'd re-apply for univ. Of course, you do run the huge risk of being rejected again though. I guess if you think the gap year is likely to add something special to your next application, then it seems a good step. If your gap year isn't likely to add anything then...

The only problem you may encounter is that for many worthwhile activities you'd need an early application, so the deadlines may have passed or are about to.
I'm not expecting to do anything exciting...

Just read up on my philo some more, get a job maybe...i dunno...
covered farm wagon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It's true, to get pooled out of that many people means that you must have been dazzling. What percentage of people who apply to Cambridge do you suppose are capable of completing a degree well there? I reckon its easily 50%, probably more, as most candidates have astonishing academic records and go on to another reputable uni to do well. So of the applicants to Clare, at least fifteen-odd were capable of doing well at the uni. And you were one of the top six? Impressive! I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't be annoyed at not getting a place - it seems unfair that they don't have room for everyone who could do well there (they seem not to have room for me and I find it really annoying 'cos I reckon I'd have fun there, but still... grr). Certainly re-apply if you want to, I couldn't handle another go at this because I'll be twenty this year and I really don't want to put uni off any more. Things to do on a gap year could include learning Latin, as I really want to do that but I don't know where I would find the time. Find something obscure and learn about it. Do a cake decorating course at college (I'm doing it now, it's fun).

Also, I am in the pool for Philosophy. Should I assume that as I've heard nothing, it's the end of the line for me? I know they say that they make offers up til the 15th or something, but a few people on here have mentioned offers days ago, and if they've said a definite no to you it sounds as though they have made up their minds. And if they know, they'd tell people right away, right? I rang Emmanuel today and they said they couldn't tell me anything... Ooohhh I wish I understood the system! Or had mind-reading capabilities. I was staring at the phone trying to get into the minds of the Cambridge people and make them ring me, but it didn't work.

Love and good things to all
Emma
xxx
Adhsur
Rep:
?
(Original post by covered farm wa)
I was staring at the phone trying to get into the minds of the Cambridge people and make them ring me, but it didn't work.
I tried that so much it's unbelievable!!! I was like "ring...ring...grrrr...RING I TELL YOU!" It was most psychotic.

Thanks for the great advice and good luck to you! Having said that, the email suggested that everyone who is about to be chosen has already been chosen...they wouldn't have told me so soon that I got rejected if I hadn't emailed them. But if they are not telling you, maybe there is still some hope? They were so direct with me, it was shocking. I didnt think I';d get a reply in an email so soon. I was so unprepared. Boo hoo. Ah well.

I'll see what happens after I give my A2s my all and get dazzling grades to make people proud of me FOR ONCE. And maybe the prospect of reapplying will get me motivated for that too.
dreamer
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't know how different cam philo is to anywhere else. Check it carefully, there may be little point if there is a more suitable course for you elsewhere! Also, would you really be willing not to do philo for a whole year for the chance of getting in? And how would you cope with a second rejection?

I am on a UK gap year and thoroughly enjoying it! I have used it to investigate careers, study, and earn money. If you haven't been abroad much though, I would heavily recommend this, perhaps after earning something first. Try temping agencies and Connexions. PM me if you need more advice.
s-man
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I tried that so much it's unbelievable!!! I was like "ring...ring...grrrr...RING I TELL YOU!" It was most psychotic.

Thanks for the great advice and good luck to you! Having said that, the email suggested that everyone who is about to be chosen has already been chosen...they wouldn't have told me so soon that I got rejected if I hadn't emailed them. But if they are not telling you, maybe there is still some hope? They were so direct with me, it was shocking. I didnt think I';d get a reply in an email so soon. I was so unprepared. Boo hoo. Ah well.

I'll see what happens after I give my A2s my all and get dazzling grades to make people proud of me FOR ONCE. And maybe the prospect of reapplying will get me motivated for that too.
how long did it take them to reply to ur e-mail? i e-mailed queens' about my application at 15:00 today and i ain't got s***
J.S.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm not expecting to do anything exciting...

Just read up on my philo some more, get a job maybe...i dunno...

ohhhh...dno, maybe you'd like to ask for someone who has done this. Personally, if I were to be interviewing a candidate after a gap year, I'd expect a fair bit. That's how employers react, it seems natural, although of course I cannot speak for university admissions tutors (who are of course not a homogeneous group, and all have their own particular views and preferences).

I guess it’s a big big risk. Incidentally, if you get high A levels, go to York, you’d have very good prospects after your degree.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by s-man)
how long did it take them to reply to ur e-mail? i e-mailed queens' about my application at 15:00 today and i ain't got s***
i phoned my college and they said they couldnt tell me anything
covered farm wagon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't understand why they can't be that direct with everyone. It's so frustrating and distracting wondering whether a phone call could be coming any minute... I understand that they might be making a few choices between interviewed people, but if they've already chucked my form in the bin I don't see why they can't let me know soon as they can to put me out this misery!

If you are going to reapply to a different college (are you set on Clare?) then I would suggest a day trip to Cambridge and visit all the colleges you can. To me, Pembroke looked pretty dull in the prospectus but when I went there the gardens were so pretty. I still applied elsewhere in the end, but that was my mistake. I really want to see the numbers that applied to each college for philosophy. Emmanuel was really over-subscribed as well (I remember reading in various leaflets that the average college doesn't ever usually have more than six philosophy applicants), there were twenty-odd at the interview day I was at, and I'm sure they give about the same amount of places as Clare. I wonder if any college had only one or two applicants...

I have been thinking about exciting gap year ideas. I personally would like to teach abroad, but that's not everyone's cup of tea. More education is a hot one with me (I've been at college for four years, I keep finding fun-looking courses). Maybe you could pick something part time and work part time as well, to collect some money for uni. Wooden furniture making? Music technology? Film making? Wine tasting? There's loads of weird things out there, and it's probably one of the only times in your life that you can just pick what you want to do and do it. If you're under 19 then some courses might be free. Oooh and I know you said you aren't into travelling but I would really like to visit some places like Descartes' house and Hume's cave and other philosophical hotspots and read their books there. Just an idea...

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Emma
xxx
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

I think the fact that you were pooled means you have enough of that "potential" they are always going on about. Therefore, if you do reapply, then you should either be pooled again or accepted. Hopefully accepted.

If you get rejected straight away the second time round, then this suggests to me that the admission procedure is a load of *******s. Unless of course it is possible for one's "potential" to lessen.

Anyway, if you can make sense of what i just said (im not sure I can!) then what i am trying to say is:Reapply and goodluck if you decide to.
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't understand why they can't be that direct with everyone. It's so frustrating and distracting wondering whether a phone call could be coming any minute... I understand that they might be making a few choices between interviewed people, but if they've already chucked my form in the bin I don't see why they can't let me know soon as they can to put me out this misery!
thats exactly what i feel...the wait is so stressful
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
i phoned my college and they said they couldnt tell me anything
I really feel for you having to wait so long. I know how I felt until I heard this morning! I found that the best way to deal with the emotions is to work on the assumption that you will be rejected and start to plan your next move as if there were no other option. I know this sounds pretty crap, but if you get accepted it makes you feel even happier, and if you get rejected then you are well organised and prepared.

I have my fingers and toes crossed for you.
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mentally Ill)
I really feel for you having to wait so long. I know how I felt until I heard this morning! I found that the best way to deal with the emotions is to work on the assumption that you will be rejected and start to plan your next move as if there were no other option. I know this sounds pretty crap, but if you get accepted it makes you feel even happier, and if you get rejected then you are well organised and prepared.

I have my fingers and toes crossed for you.
thank you ill give u some rep tomoro!
redcat
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

If you are going to reapply to a different college (are you set on Clare?) then I would suggest a day trip to Cambridge and visit all the colleges you can. To me, Pembroke looked pretty dull in the prospectus but when I went there the gardens were so pretty. I still applied elsewhere in the end, but that was my mistake. I really want to see the numbers that applied to each college for philosophy. Emmanuel was really over-subscribed as well (I remember reading in various leaflets that the average college doesn't ever usually have more than six philosophy applicants), there were twenty-odd at the interview day I was at, and I'm sure they give about the same amount of places as Clare. I wonder if any college had only one or two applicants...
I'd consider applying to Trinity College for philsophy. I think they are not that well subscribed for philosophy, cos a lot of artsy people think of them as being a maths/science college, or are intimidated by their bigness -- and at the same time they take 4 or 5 a year for philosophy, much more than most other colleges (I think - check with the admissions people) so you have a better chance with them statistically. I knew of a guy who was picked out of the pool for philosophy by them, after applying somewhere else, I think either Clare or Catz. He really liked it. They're rich and have great accomodation, and it's a really beautiful college once you get used to how big it is. And they own lots of punts that you can rent cheap.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.12%
Leave (427)
20.88%

Watched Threads