This discussion is closed.
Lurker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
Plus, in my opinion, more often that not it emphasised to the tutor's one's desire to be admitted the college/uni rather than pursue one's passion. Especially if the candidate had not opted orginally to take a gapyear.
Yeah, I didn't think of this, but in my interview, the admissions tutor asked if I applied to universities last year. I didn't because I'd already decided to take a gap year, but I'm pretty sure if I'd said yes then the next question would have been "So why didn't you go to university last year?"

(Original post by aliel)

If you accept York's offer and meet their grade requirements, it is a binding contract...you have to go..unless they agree to free you from the obligation.
I'm not so sure about this... I know someone who got out of a firm offer on results day after getting the grades, without too much fuss. It can't be that hard... what do they expect you to do if you get much better grades than you were expecting?
scanner
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
These are the stats I got from Clare:

"26 candidates applied to read Philosophy, 3 were made offers, 3 were
pooled (none were taken)"

It seems like such a shame that I missed out when I was soooo close! I was one of the three pooled. So I was wondering if there were many people in my position who were thinking of reapplying? Would it be worth it in your opinion? And can any of you think of anything respectable (but not a la travel-around-the-world type of thing) to do during the gap year?

Would it be unadvisable to apply to the same college again? Or would it be beneficial if they remember how far I got last time?

Can I take a gap after I get my A2 results? i.e. if i accept york (ABB) and then my grades are all A's, can I change my mind and reapply to cambridge?

Please advise me someone, I'm so confused!!
It's very rare for people to reapply to the same college. Try to find out if anyone has any reapplication stats for Cambridge or Oxford. This is only a feeling but I suspect they are rising and that the success rate may be quite encouraging. Getting the figures might be tricky as both the Cambridge and Oxford admissions office seem very careful not to release much of the really interesting stuff! Gettiing so close means that reapplication is a serious option as is trying Oxford.
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi Adhsur, I'm in exactly the same position as you, reading between the lines of my interview report from Oxford it basically said it was down to bad luck that I was rejected, and my teachers were surprised at my rejection, so I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge next year. Also I don't think I put enough effort into my Oxford application because I wasn't so keen on going to uni in my home town. I think you should definitely apply to a different (and perhaps less-competitive) college next time round because that is what the prospectus strongly recommends, and it would almost certainly be better for your application to be viewed with fresh eyes. Also if the dons were to accept you second time round it would be admitting that they got it wrong first time round which they probably wouldn't want to do.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by scanner)
It's very rare for people to reapply to the same college. Try to find out if anyone has any reapplication stats for Cambridge or Oxford. This is only a feeling but I suspect they are rising and that the success rate may be quite encouraging. Getting the figures might be tricky as both the Cambridge and Oxford admissions office seem very careful not to release much of the really interesting stuff! Gettiing so close means that reapplication is a serious option as is trying Oxford.
Hmmmm, ok

Well I can't consider Oxford as they don't offer my subject.

I think I can only put things in perspective after A2 grades.
Bumblebee3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
As there are no strict quotas Clare could have taken more or less than they did so if you do re-apply, definately apply to a different college. Despite what the prospectus says, the colleges do vary in terms of what they appreciate in a candidate. Go up for open days and if you can, meet as many admissions people as possible. Whether you get on with them will be a good indication of whether their college would be a good choice. After all, part of the job of the interview process is to select a group that will work together and with the tutors.

I think re-applying is a good idea as you were pooled and a gap year can provide valuable experience - even if it's just holding down a full time job (harder than one might think I can say!) The only issue will be how you would cope if you get another rejection. Be sure that you have back up plans you would be happy with and don't risk losing other offers if you are keen on them. Good Luck!
gapperslacker
Report 16 years ago
Hey, just saw your dilemma! I would ring up/write to clare and get them to send you a detailed report of your interview etc. I did this last year and the college rang me up and advised me, they were so nice. Keep your york offer and then when your results come out you can decide. I think it's worth it, but make sure you want to reapply for the right reasons; it's time to self-analyse! It's easy to reject your firm choice and re-do ucas. hwv, you can still be rejected a 2nd time! you've got plenty of time to decide. good luck
Minta
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I know someone who got out of a firm offer on results day after getting the grades, without too much fuss. It can't be that hard... what do they expect you to do if you get much better grades than you were expecting?
Yep, it's easy - you get a slip from UCAS saying you've made your grades and asking if you want to take your firm offer up. You just say no.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The most uncomforting thing about that is you cannot get York to hold your offer for a year and reapply, UCAS won't let you.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'd consider having a year out if you were considering it anyway. If you werent it seems a bit of a gamble to put your life on hold for a year just incase you get in. Even if you get straight As there is no guarantee they will accept you next year. Also they would prob expect you to do something pretty wonderful in your year out. Maybe there are some projects abroad or something you could look into for a year out if you do decide to do that.
Minta
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
The most uncomforting thing about that is you cannot get York to hold your offer for a year and reapply, UCAS won't let you.

True, however York themselves might be willing to give you an offer again if you reapply to them the following year. It's a good idea to phone the relevant departement on results day and ask how likely you would be to get an offer again.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Minta)
True, however York themselves might be willing to give you an offer again if you reapply to them the following year. It's a good idea to phone the relevant departement on results day and ask how likely you would be to get an offer again.
But what would you say without offending them, and letting them know that they're really your second choice and there's a good chance you'll blow them off if you can?
scanner
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Hmmmm, ok

Well I can't consider Oxford as they don't offer my subject.

I think I can only put things in perspective after A2 grades.
Yes I'd overlooked the fact that you like your philosophy straight with no interference from the many variations that exist at Oxford.

I'm sure you are right that the time to make the decision is after the A2s. Good luck!
Minta
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
But what would you say without offending them, and letting them know that they're really your second choice and there's a good chance you'll blow them off if you can?
Explain that you've decided to take a gap year (admitting you're reapplying to Oxbridge would probably offend them) and say (untruthfully) that they are definitely still your first choice, and would they consider giving you an offer again if you reapply next year.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Minta)
Explain that you've decided to take a gap year (admitting you're reapplying to Oxbridge would probably offend them) and say (untruthfully) that they are definitely still your first choice, and would they consider giving you an offer again if you reapply next year.
The thing is when you do that, they're very likely to offer to defer your current place. When you ask them not to, they'll start wondering why.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oxbridge is far from the be-all and end-all.

Plus, you could get rejected next year. A wasted year.
Sazzle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
When I reapplied I told Soton that I felt it was too early to commit to one subject and one course, even though my entry was already deferred I had to pull out in order to be able use UCAS again.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (151)
60.89%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.44%
No- I want it (69)
27.82%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.85%

Watched Threads