rant about kings' reputation Watch

This discussion is closed.
roff
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by morningtheft)
You did say that some students may base their decisions entirely on the Guardians tables and end up at a uni that is rubbish, even though it is in their top 10.

Which ones are you surprised about?
Which ones do you think I would be surprised about?
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
KCL? Any others?
roff
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kidney thief)
out of interest, what would your top 10 table look like?
I think for a uni to be in the top 10 is an achievement in itself and within such a list there are only relatively minor differences
kidney thief
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ramroff)
I think for a uni to be in the top 10 is an achievement in itself and within such a list there are only relatively minor differences
so...what would your top 10 be? and on what would you base your choices?
roff
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
so...what would your top 10 be? and on what would you base your choices?
My choices on where i would want to go, NOT league table criteriawould be made on
1) locality
2) teaching quality
3) its reputation in the area of work I wanted to go into.

edit - typo
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think he's asking how you would decide what's best for the course you want to do....
roff
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
see above
kidney thief
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think he's asking how you would decide what's best for the course you want to do....
exactly...you're very quick to rubbish the league tables of The Guardian and (latterly in the thread) the Times. just how would you decide this rank order of reputation?
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
"So how would you choose the top 10 best universities?"
"Well, I would choose them based on what's best..."

I don't think that really needs any further explanation.

Edit: Nevermind, I see you edited your post, sorry. Though "edit - typo" is a flat out lie; you changed your entire post.
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
exactly...you're very quick to rubbish the league tables of The Guardian and (latterly in the thread) the Times. just how would you decide this rank order of reputation?
Apparently he thinks that ranking universities based on their location is a far better system than that of The Times or The Guardian! :P
roff
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
League tables are subjective by their nature and I dont think any serious student stands by them, but you must agree the Guardians are a little erratic.
roff
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Apparently he thinks that ranking universities based on their location is a far better system than that of The Times or The Guardian! :P
You have missed the point completely :rolleyes: That was my personal list in deciding what unis I would want to go to, not my criteria for a league table.
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Given the topic we're debating, it would probably be more useful (and relevant) to list your criteria for an all encompassing league table, not your personal one.

In other words, how could The Times or The Guardian improve their league tables?
roff
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Given the topic we're debating, it would probably be more useful (and relevant) to list your criteria for an all encompassing league table, not your personal one.

In other words, how could The Times or The Guardian improve their league tables?
The Guardian could strip its value added rating for one.
kidney thief
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
League tables are subjective by their nature and I dont think any serious student stands by them, but you must agree the Guardians are a little erratic.
erratic in what way? (i think you'll find the league tables of both publications vary in various ways each year) do you think they are erratic because they are different to the Times? how many universities have you studied at? what makes you think you are in a better position to judge the relative strengths/merits and weaknesses of UK universities?
roff
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
erratic in what way? (i think you'll find the league tables of both publications vary in various ways each year) do you think they are erratic because they are different to the Times? how many universities have you studied at? what makes you think you are in a better position to judge the relative strengths/merits and weaknesses of UK universities?
erratic in the way that they might mislead a student who doesnt know better. are you saying my opinion of the guardians tables [I dont hold league tables in much regard anyway] is not commonly heard of?
roff
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
what would kidneythiefs and morningtheft's personal ranking be, out of interest?
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The Guardian could strip its value added rating for one.
What's wrong with it?

In theory it's a good idea. The only problem with it is that the numbers of students getting firsts doesn't mean much, as the standards for achieving a first are determined by the individual university. Or is that your qualm with it too?
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
what would kidneythiefs and morningtheft's personal ranking be, out of interest?
The universities I would choose to go to, or the ones I think are best?
roff
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The universities I would choose to go to, or the ones I think are best?
the latter
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.12%
Leave (427)
20.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise